BY CUROLOGY #5 in Acne Treatments

For healthy and beautiful skin, get prescription skincare customized just for you from expert dermatologists at Curology.

• I just received my free 30 day trial of Curology. Curious, who’s ...1 Answers
  • Does this actually work? I’ve been trying to get my acne to go aw...3 Answers
  • this looks amazing? How long does it take for my skin to start im...2 Answers
Jackie H.
Curology saved me from stress, my self-esteem, and most importantly, my skin.

Long story short, I randomly started breaking out all over my face. Cystic acne, closed comedones, reoccurring breakouts in the same spots ... You name it :( I had no idea why I was breaking out, so naturally I resorted to google and started thinking I had to incorporate all these products to fix my skin. I knew I had disrupted my natural skin barrier by introducing new products too quickly due to panicking -- that was the worst thing I could've possibly done because I just exacerbated my already irritated skin !

Fast forwarding to a year later ... I had heard about Curology for a while now. I first saw it on Michelle Phan's channel, and then reviews on IG and Youtube. I was still skeptical because I thought, "What if this doesn't fix my face? What if it just makes it worse like all the other products?" What if, what if ! My face got so bad to the point I got desperate and decided to just try the one month free subscription of Curology.

Thing is, as you progress through your skincare journey, you'll learn that it takes at least a month to really figure out if a skincare product is working for you due to your skin turnover rate. I didn't see any results in the first month of using Curology, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep trying. I was so desperate that I figured prescription topical skincare would hopefully help me.

My skin heavily purged for a good 2-3 months. This was the worst I've ever seen my face. Again with the reoccuring breakouts, cystic acne popping up EVERYWHERE (not just hormonal spots, but on my cheeks, sides of my face, pimples, JAWLINE, you name it). There were so many times I broke down and embarrassingly messaged my provider on Curology in desperation. She reassured to me to continue with my skin regimen and wait it out to see if there was any improvement in the next month.

THANK GOODNESS that I was patient because it certainly paid off !! After my 2-3 months of purging, I finally saw results ! My skin started clearing up, reoccuring acne FINALLY STOPPED, and closed comedones slowly disappearing. I was SO excited and this break through pushed me to continue staying on Curology and keeping my skincare regimen simple.

I used the same skincare routine since I first started Curology.

AM Skincare: Splash my face with water, gently pat dry my face with a towel, put a simple moisturizer on, which at the time was CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, and my sunscreen of choice (Derma E Mineral Sunscreen)

PM Skincare: Remove mascara with mascara remover, cleansing balm to remove leftover eye makeup, cleanse face with simple cleanser (Hada Labo Cleansing Foam), gently pat dry with towel, Curology Prescription (4% Clindamycin, 1% Azelaic Acid,  4% Niacinamide)

Something that really helped me from picking at my pimples or even being tempted to TOUCH my face was to stay away from mirrors. Naturally that's hard when you're in the bathroom or you have to wash your face, but I'd make sure to not stay in the bathroom or get too close to the mirror than I needed because I knew if I kept staring at my face, that I'd resort to wanting to pick at my skin.

It's been 9-10 months since I've started Curology. It took a while for my acne scars to fade away, but I can gladly say I've been acne and acne scar free for around 3ish months, which is huge for me since I had such deep acne scars due to reoccurring acne in the same spots.

LONG LONG post, but I'd recommend Curology to anyone ! It's definitely worth a shot, and the providers are there for you 100% to answer all your questions, concerns, and to even reassure you if you have a skin panic attack (like I did many a time LOL).

Some people might think Curology is expensive, but if you're cutting out all the other extra things such as toners, serums, or a night time moisturizer, the price seems to equal out. This is different for everyone though. I'm more than willing to spend $40 for a two month supply of my Curology if it's going to keep me acne free !

I've had only maybe 2-3 pimples since December, but I noticed that they disappeared quickly. If I didn't pick at it and naturally let it run its course, it wouldn't leave any type of acne scar :)
Lahela M.
Let me start by saying that I personally had an issue with Curology's base/inactive formula. Sweet almond oil is an acne trigger for me (I learned this the hard way) and is a part of the base lotion of Curology. This isn't super common, or a problem for everyone, but unfortunately this does slightly cloud my perception of the product.

Anywho, I think it's still a great option, especially for people who are underinsured, and may not have an option to visit a dermatologist! I've used the service twice, and I did appreciate my second time a lot more, as I think I connected with my provider a lot better. Having access to a dermatology specialist, and especially one with cosmetic specialty, is really nice! Also, I did like having a one step actives routine. Despite my issues with it, the base lotion is really nice, and moisturizing, without being greasy, which is a nice change from a lot of RX topical formulas.

Some things I didn't like: the azelaic acid can only go up to 9%. Considering I can buy up 20% OTC (although that strength may be too much for some people), I found it frustrating that Curology was constrained to such a low number. I also don't really like how there was no option for Spironolactone or Accutane. I'm aware that these therapies require bloodwork and check ups, but I feel like this sort of thing could be handled at contracted labs. For example, the providers at Curology could send lab orders over, the patient/client, could get that taken care of, and the Curology providers could go from there. Considering that a lot of acne patients often need more than topicals, I feel like this would have been a great way to retain more patients. I also feel like the formulas don't ALWAYS need to have three ingredients. Some patients don't need the Vit C or have a sensitivity to Niacinamide. I feel like it would have been better for some people to only have one ingredient.

Overall, I think it's a great place to start, especially if you are clueless about treating your skin conditions, or if you don't have access to a derm. It didn't really work for me as my needs involved something the service didn't provide, but I still would recommend it to others.
Nikki
Let me start by saying that I have extremely sensitive, dry skin.  I don't get a lot of whiteheads or zits, but let's just say people have gifted me enough pore strips (don't use them, they're bad for your skin) and peel off masks for me to get the hint.  I mostly suffer(ed) from large, dark sebaceous filaments, redness and whiteheads.  My skin has always been too sensitive to exfoliate, or so I thought.  After two weeks (I'm past my first month now), my skin already looked so much better.  I have eczema and I was pretty nervous to try this, but I'm really just blown away.

The packaging is beautiful and I love that the box had my name on it.  The little jar is lovely and the pump is easy to use.  The doctor I spoke to was so helpful and gave me so much information and responded shockingly quickly.  You're really getting more than just the product itself.

Speaking of the product, I started my prescription every other night to get my skin used to it, as recommended.  I noticed a light burning, but no redness or irritation, so I stuck with it.  After a week I began using it daily, and the results were really something else.  Every morning when I wash my face, my pores are visibly smaller and lighter.  The night cream is lifting the dirt out of my skin and it just comes right off when I wash it.  I look forward to washing my face every morning because it's just so satisfying to see my pores get small and light.  I never even thought my skin could look this good.  My chin isn't constantly red anymore.  The formula exfoliated my skin without drying it. Even after a month, my skin keeps getting more even.  I can't say enough how much I never expected my skin to look like this. Ever. Try it. There's a good chance you won't regret this.
Ashley W.
Atlanta
I am going to be honest. I wanted this product to not work. I wanted to not like it because it was too good to be true. I have now been using this for a little over two weeks and I can’t believe the results. The top photo is two weeks before I started curology. The middle photo is the day I requested it (and the photo I sent to them). The last photo is what my face looks like today (I have a moisturizer on and that’s why my face is shiny). I can’t believe the difference. It is a bit expensive but it has helped so so much. I went to my hometown a few days ago and everyone that saw me complimented how amazing my skin looked. They all said they couldn’t believe how clear it had become. I know I still have a lot of work before it looks clear enough to not wear foundation but I actually feel good about myself finally. I have recommended this to EVERYONE!!! They make a customized bottle for your needs. The bottle has your name on it. I feel like I will probably have some left over after each month which is fine with me. I can’t wait to see my face in a month. It’s free to try and if you want to help me out please order on this link and it gives me $10 off my next months bottle. It is share.curologydotcom and then /x/oWUbFK since they won’t let me post it.
Susana A.
Corpus Christi, TX
I wish I can give this 100 stars!
I suffer with acne since I was 15 and I use to use Proactive for the longest bcuz there was nothing bk then on the market that I could get my hands on outside A dermatologist office that was affordable and to me was a quick fix solution.
Then I came across this ad on Facebook of Curology and I saw all the claims and all the testimonies from real people, I saw all the pictures and it looked like a lot of people suffered with the same type of acne I suffered with so I took a chance I order the free trial and oh my God in the first month my skin improved and cleared up so much I literally was in tears because I hadn’t seen my own skin in a healthy state for a long time almost 15 years after month number 2 my skin kept improving by the day by the night I literally would stop and stare at myself in the mirror in disbelief that Curology is curing my skin and has done more of a better job than Proactive has ever did, I am six months into my using Curology and my skin is clear I do not break out anymore the only thing I have is some acne scars but even those are looking softer and softer as the months pass! If you suffer from acne I beg you please give this a try you will not be disappointed the reason why Curology works is because they’re real dermatologist that are issuing this prescription to you it’s affordable you do not have to go and pay the co-pay in the dermatologist office or wait long hours this comes delivered right to you simply by sending 5 to 6 pictures to them and they could automatically know which prescription to give you and they hit my type of skin right on the money and of course you check in’s every four months with pictures and if they need to tweak your prescription they let you know ITS JUST AWESOME!!!
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
I think like most people I fell for the facebook marketing and the sales pitch. The idea is that you talk to a "doctor" on their site, upload pictures od your bare face and acne and wait about 5 to 7 days to hear back. You have to pay first though. Luckily the first bottle is free except for like 4.95 shipping and handling. And honestly for all of us who suffer with acne it doesn't hurt to try anything and if nothing has worked a change in ingredients is a welcome experiment.
So they use the same three "active" ingredients for everyone. They say its prescription strength and that you need a prescription for it which is why you talk to the online doctor.
Unfortunately that isn't exactly true. I looked up each ingredient and their rules for prescription or over the counter. The percentages they give you are too low for recommended acne treatment and are something you can get easily over the counter or online. No prescription needed. Only once you get into higher percentages and oral medications with these ingredients will you need a prescription and they won't take you up that far. Also if your acne is hormonal and you need antibiotics or somethimg prescribed they tell you to go to a doctor or dermatologist so this is not like the online doctor you go to for ailments where they can prescribe medications online to your pharmacy. The fact that they act like this is what they are is a little underhanded and sneaky if you ask me.
Now this has nothing to do with whether or not the product is effective. This will depend on your skin type, your type of acne and how your acne and skin react to the very low amounts of "medicine" in this. Unfortunately for me it didnt do a thing. It didn't make it better or worse but it didn't make it worse and clog my pores so it didn't hurt me to try it and for 5 dollars and a cancellation it was worth it. They say it can take 6 to 8 weeks to see full results and that you will probably purge (break out bad) in the meantime. None of this happened for me and I have two bottles. I use one pump each because that's more than enough to cover my face in a thin layer and each bottle has 60 pumps in it. They say the average user uses 2 pumps and so they send a new one out every 30 days. If you need more or less you just contact them. I actually just cancelled my card and got a new one for other reasons and they started writing me a week before the second bottle was to be mailed and said I needed to update my payment info and then sent out the second bottle anyway 7 days later so I didn't pay anything for it but have used this long enough to get a good feel for the product ajd the company.
Overall I do recommend it because it may work for you and can't hurt to try. But be wary of the sales pitches because they lie. And the 6 to 8 week Mark dor it working is a convenient time frame as you would have to pay full price plus shipping during that time so they are making money so I don't fully trust that. If you have acne you know how long it takes to start seeing changes from a product good or bad. Usually 2 to 3 weeks for noticeable results of some sort to start so don't fall for it just because they say it.
Carissa O.
I’ve been at this for about a month now. And so far 5 stars for sure. I held off for a while because I was afraid of the purge. My skin is so temperamental, sometimes it’s so dry sometimes so oily. And I get the most random breakouts on my forehead and chin/around my mouth. I never used to get breakouts but after having my son a few years ago it happens randomly and gets pretty bad. Well, I bit the bullet and got curology, and they “custom made” a formula for me, based off of my skin concerns and pictures I sent to them of my problem areas. Shipping was very fast and it came in a cute box and tube with my name on it and the formula. Since purchasing the have remained in contact with me and answered any questions I’ve had. It is a subscription type of thing, it’s like 20 a month for a bottle, which is it works for you is only a small price to pay for the formula and resources. I did have a small purge, but nothing major and I’ve noticed any breakouts I had healed so much faster then normal, or didn’t surface at all and just went away. I will definitely update as I continue on, but as it sure right now my face is the clearest it’s been for the longest amount of time.
Emily S.
Vinemont, AL
Curology is amazing!! I've been using Curology for 13 months and it has completely cured my painful cystic acne. I saw an add on Facebook and thought it was probably too good to be true but what did I have to lose? $20? I often spent that much on Walmart products that didn't work for me. I used Proactive for years in high school but as I got older it stopped working for me. So I signed up and I answered a detailed questionnaire and sent in photos of my face. When I got my prescription I was instructed to wash my face with a gentle soap (like Neutrogena) each night and apply the cream. That's it! (For the first few weeks my NP told me to only use it every other day, while my skin adjusted.) I was prescribed Doxycycline for two months in addition to the cream. My skin got worse for a couple weeks (which is not uncommon for Curology) but I started seeing minor results after about a month. By 2-3 months my skin was looking a lot better but I saw MAJOR improvements after five months. I've been using it for a year and I think my skin leveled out around eight months but it has never been better! I can't remember the last time I had a painful cyst; it's been months! I might get a couple whiteheads each month but they're on the surface and easy to get rid of.
I am so impressed with Curology! I never imagined I would get these results and I am so so happy I gave it a shot! If you decide to try it be patient! Your skin may initially get worse and it will take time to see major results but you'll be so happy you stuck with it!
*Photo shows progress from day 1 to month 13
Desiree H.
Ft Oglethorpe, GA
These opinions are mine and mine only. Around the end of last year my skin broke out for no reason with adult acne all along my cheeks but mostly my jawline and Chin were absolutely horrible after having Perfect Skin that was low maintenance for so many years. I did not even know where to start with all the new products that were out. I did some research and found that using retinol- vitamin A, and vitamin B3 which is niacinamide, and vitamin C, along with salicylic at home face peels got my skin greatly under control, but, it was just too high maintenance and I did not like the way my face felt with all of those creams stacked on so I looked around, and saw an ad for curology.com and i looked into it. I am currently using it right now and I love it. My only problem is that the retinol in mine, actually it is tretinoin which is a higher form of retin- a, instead of drying me out it has made me oily which happens in 10% of the people and they use vitamins a B3, and c, and also in mine they are using the other three ingredients they have access to which is tretinoin which helps with aging and acne, and they are using azelaic acid which kills germs like the acne germ, and they are using clindamycin which also helps calm the skin and is an antibiotic so it should get rid of any germs on my face. I love it because I can message my provider with any questions I have and get a detailed response within 2 days and they have a lot of information on their website about what products you can use that are affordable for your skin type and what to do about sunscreen and they have booklets that tell what each of their ingredients are used for. It has been great for me, I have only had one zit since I started using it several months ago and that's because I had quit using it for a week, they also recommend using pyrithione zinc soap on your face and letting it sit 60 seconds before you add your regular cleanser and wash.. if you do that twice a day that soap also kills p. Acnes germs. They recommend the noble brand from Amazon, you can use the standard or the one that is not the vegan version because it has an oil in it that can cause acne. It is $25 with shipping included for each small bottle which should last a month if you use two pumps a day on your face but one pump is more than enough for me so that works for two months or a little more for me for $25 and leaves my skin looking wonderful but just a little bit oily which I am learning to deal with. I recommend this above any other acne treatment because it is actually prescription written by Physician's assistants of dermatologist and they have been proven that these ingredients work together to clear up acne. You can also go on there and make postcards and take a picture of yourself and see what everybody else looks like so far into their treatment if you want to make postcards of yourself to put up there you can do that as well.
Ronie k.
Aurora, CO
This product is absolutely amazing! It's like made from.the tears of angels or something I've had really bad red splotchy and dry skin especially this past winter so I opted in for a trial of Curology and I couldn't be happier with the decision. First of all the while process of getting one of these sent to you is absolutely amazing it is completely personalized to you and they even write your name on the bottle. It is really great I noticed changes within two weeks and I have been using it ever since. It also works wonders on acne I can't attest to that side of cure in Curology because that was not one of my skin proble.s but I have seen it do wonders for my friends overall it's a great product that I will never stop recommending and even if you are not sure about signing on faith them full time it is definitely just worth trying them out the whole process is pretty cool. Much funner (which I know is not a word but let's make it for the sake of this context) then going to an actual scary doctor and having everything the evaluated from the co for of your own home.
Chenoa B.
Jacksonville
Curology I read that everyone get's prescribed the same thing. I was just prescribed 0.009% Tretinoin, 1% Clindamycin and 9% Azelaic Acid, is this the same for everyone? I was also told to try 1 of 3 different body soaps. And the daily regimen is to cleanse and use sunscreen and that is it.
Ascia A.
Bordj bou arreridj
What does this do? Is it good?
S E R I N A ★ H.
Honolulu, HI
What other products do you use along with this regimen?
Trinity M.
Does this actually work? I’ve been trying to get my acne to go away for so long now. It’s not terrible but does make me elf conscious.
Laura W.
Milford, MI
How long did it take to see results?