BY CUROLOGY #5 in Acne Treatments

For healthy and beautiful skin, get prescription skincare customized just for you from expert dermatologists at Curology.

• I just received my free 30 day trial of Curology. Curious...2 Answers
  • Does this actually work? I’ve been trying to get my acne ...3 Answers
  • this looks amazing? How long does it take for my skin to ...2 Answers
Kasey C.
El Dorado Hills, CA
I love Curology! Let's start at the beginning. I have had acne-prone
skin since I was about 12. I am now 38. I have had painful cystic acne
for my entire adult life with very few periods of relief (aided by
hormonal birth control). Unfortunately, due to my type of migraines, I
cannot take the kind of birth control that would help with acne.

I'm
not kidding when I say I have tried almost everything. I have spent many thousands of dollars searching for that
holy grail. Prescription topicals, antibiotics (both oral and topical),
ridiculous amounts of trials of different BHAs/AHAs/PHAs, sulphur, clay
masks, spendy cleansers, moisturizers and face oils, gentle stuff... not
gentle stuff... you name it.

I had seen Curology ads on YouTube
for a long time but I had always assumed it was just like another brand
of Proactiv type regimens. I was wrong.

Once I finally looked
into it, I found that actual licensed dermatologists are the ones behind
the formulations at Curology. When you sign up, you are assigned a
medical provider (your personal dermatologist, if you will). You are
asked to fill out a questionnaire with questions about your age, skin
type, the type of acne you suffer from, things you've tried to remedy
it, etc. Then you take pictures of your clean face to show the doctor
what your skin is doing. Your doctor reviews all of this information and
then legitimately prescribes you a formulation based on your skin
troubles and what you're trying to accomplish.

I have combo/oily
skin that gets large cysts deep under the surface in my chin/jaw area
with blocked pores on my nose and to the sides of my nose with
occasional zits in the middle of my cheek or between my eyes. I was prescribed .009% tretinoin, 1% clindamycin, and .25% pyrithione zinc.

I
started to notice a change in the texture/feel of my skin within the
first week, but I did not notice a reduction in blemishes. It's kind of
hard to explain. I began to purge. I got worried. I messaged my provider
and she assured me that this was normal and to stick with it. So I did,
but mostly because I had felt that difference in skin texture so I knew
something was happening.

Around week 4, I ran out of product
because I had been using 2 pumps instead of 1. I began to panic because
by that time I still had some zits but they hurt less. I went to the
site and had my second bottle ordered and they got it out to me within a
few days' time.

I'm on week 8 right now and I cannot sing
Curology's praises enough. I am not some brand ambassador. I get nothing
out of telling you that this product is a lifesaver. I am still getting
occasional tiny blemishes on the sides of my chin, but they are not
inflamed. Some very deep zits have recently surfaced so I could remove
them without damaging my skin greatly. My skin feels great. The uneven
texture is improving. It's so soft. There's no more pain. I still have
scarring, but I am confident that will eventually clear up with
continued use.

The only thing that this product hasn't really
done for me is reduce the size of my pores, but honestly, one product
can't do everything and it would be unfair of me to judge it based on
that. It did the major thing I needed it to do. I never want to be
without it.
Nikki B.
Oviedo
Let me start by saying that I have extremely sensitive, dry skin.  I don't get a lot of whiteheads or zits, but let's just say people have gifted me enough pore strips (don't use them, they're bad for your skin) and peel off masks for me to get the hint.  I mostly suffer(ed) from large, dark sebaceous filaments, redness and whiteheads.  My skin has always been too sensitive to exfoliate, or so I thought.  After two weeks (I'm past my first month now), my skin already looked so much better.  I have eczema and I was pretty nervous to try this, but I'm really just blown away.

The packaging is beautiful and I love that the box had my name on it.  The little jar is lovely and the pump is easy to use.  The doctor I spoke to was so helpful and gave me so much information and responded shockingly quickly.  You're really getting more than just the product itself.

Speaking of the product, I started my prescription every other night to get my skin used to it, as recommended.  I noticed a light burning, but no redness or irritation, so I stuck with it.  After a week I began using it daily, and the results were really something else.  Every morning when I wash my face, my pores are visibly smaller and lighter.  The night cream is lifting the dirt out of my skin and it just comes right off when I wash it.  I look forward to washing my face every morning because it's just so satisfying to see my pores get small and light.  I never even thought my skin could look this good.  My chin isn't constantly red anymore.  The formula exfoliated my skin without drying it. Even after a month, my skin keeps getting more even.  I can't say enough how much I never expected my skin to look like this. Ever. Try it. There's a good chance you won't regret this.
Peyton L.
I absolutely love Curology and even more absolutely love the idea of it! For $20 per month (or $40 every other month) you are sent a container of your own personally formulated cream to your door step. First of all, DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH MONEY IT IS JUST TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A DERMATOLOGIST?! Seriously, the cost of healthcare is absolutely obscene and this is so money saving and so absolutely worth it! Even the cost of creams prescribed by a dermatologist can total up to being more expensive than this monthly subscription.
I have not changed ANYTHING in my skincare routine since using the Curology and have had an incredible change in my skin! I suffer from cystic acne and with having an irregular hormone cycle as a woman, the acne would get super super painful. My first month was free as long as I paid shipping and I thought to myself "ok, cool, I only waste $5 if this sucks and makes things worse.) But! It improved everything! You answer questions prior to them sending your formula, and tell them about your skincare, they even send you a picture and a little "about me" of the dermatologist that you are paired with, which I thought was absolutely awesome. Secondly, you send in pictures of your face and your problem areas, which was not my favorite part. A few days later, you receive a message from your provider telling you how excited they are for you and about the "Curology Journey", it explains how the acne will likely get worse before it gets better and to expect results in about 4-6 weeks, letting you know that any time you have issues you are able to send a message to your provider and keep them updated on your journey.
About 5 days later, I received my cream in the mail. The packaging itself is so stinkin' cute and high end looking, that you can put it on your night stand and no one would even imagine that you have a prescription cream in that bottle! You apply the cream nightly to a clean face and just go to sleep and let the cream do its magic! As expected, my skin did get worse within the first week of using it, but in about 2-3 weeks, I did start to see the beginning of an improvement.
I would absolutely recommend this product to anyone and everyone who suffers from acne, as this is not only affordable but a treatment that is super user friendly! My acne is so very few and far in-between now, I rarely have any hormonal breakouts of cystic acne and I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin!
Jade B.
Durham
Curology has been a godsend to me; when I started breaking out in my late 20s after years of clear skin, I thought it was the end of the world. I didn't realize that when your hormones start to change at this age, that you can go through another period of skin issues (just another thing we all have to look forward to, right?). I tried to manage the breakouts initially with ramping up my skincare routine, and while the products helped, nothing fully resolved all the pimples and whiteheads I had. I was hesitant to go to a dermatologist because they had been so expensive in the past and I have a super tight schedule since I travel for work. After seeing numerous Curology ads online, I finally decided to give it a try (since there was a free trial involved, why not?) and I haven't regretted it since. I still have my overall ups and downs with my skin, but on the whole my face has been clearer and blemishes much fewer and far between than before. If I have questions about my formula, or even general skincare questions, I can reach out to my provider at any time at no additional cost. The fee per bottle is very reasonable at ~$20 for a month or ~$40 for two months, and I've found that even applying liberally the bottles last me longer than they are intended to. The medication is customized for your individual skincare concerns and if your skincare needs change, they will change your formula just like that. I would recommend Curology to anyone who is considering it!
Melissa E.
Prescott Vly, AZ
Not only is curology amazing, but it’s specially formulated for YOU specifically. You fill out a small questionnaire about your skin, you send in a few photos to show your new dermatologist so they are able to actually see what is going on, and you wait a day or two for your new dermatologist to creat your customized formula. After that, you will receive a message from your derm. who then gives you a consultation, a treatment plan, explains the ingredients in your formula.. then he/she will give you recommendations for which skin care products are best for your face (based on the type of skin/acne you have) like your face wash, moisturizer, etc... and you can message your dermatologist at anytime if you have any questions regarding the formula, your routine, or even if you just want some more information about anything skin related from what type of pimple just popped up or what make up you should try. I am currently on day 3, and my face has never been so clear. I should definitely warn you though, as they do as well, there is a high possibility your skin may get worse before it gets better. Don’t give up! It’s just the formula doing it job to get all of the nasty gunk that’s been hiding in your pores out, and because it’s renewing your skin cells. Out with the old, in with the new! So don’t get discouraged, just think of it as your skin is purging all of the things you’ve been trying to fight yourself and now something is finally working. Cause once the purge happens and clears... clear skin is right around the corner!Curology
Kristy G.
Greenacres, FL
*THERE IS NO EDITING OR MAKE UP ON THE BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURE*

When I saw that curology was giving out free trial bottles, I had to try it. I'm 26 years old and have tried almost everything on the market to help my skin and my insurance does not cover a trip to the dermatologist so I felt like I was stuck. I expected this to be like any other acne product you order online, but I was so wrong.

Let me start with the website, I have NEVER BEEN SO IMPRESSED. They make you upload pictures of your skin, so REAL dermatologists can analyze it then follow that up with questions about your skin and any products you've used in the past. You are assigned your own online dermatologist who you can communicate with so they can provide you with exactly what you need. This is not over the counter ingredients here, this is real perscription strength acne medication you would never be able to get unless you took a trip to the dermatologist.... Untill now.

I got my curology bottle about three days later, the exact date they told me it would arrive. The packaging was adorable and it had my own, personalized medication list on the back with my name and the name of my provider. I was worried because I read online that there might be a purging period... But I've been using this at bedtime as instructed for two weeks now and I have not had one single blemish. Not to mention it's already fading my old acne scars significantly. After the free trial each bottle is a little over 20$ and you can bet that I will be continuing on this skin care journey. They encourage you to reach out & let them know how the product is working for you, so if for some reason the first bottle isn't exactly what you need they will adjust your medication untill they come to find the perfect treatment for you.

I can not recommend this enough. It changed my skin, changed my confidence level & made skin care easy. This has saved my skin.
Lahela M.
Let me start by saying that I personally had an issue with Curology's base/inactive formula. Sweet almond oil is an acne trigger for me (I learned this the hard way) and is a part of the base lotion of Curology. This isn't super common, or a problem for everyone, but unfortunately this does slightly cloud my perception of the product.

Anywho, I think it's still a great option, especially for people who are underinsured, and may not have an option to visit a dermatologist! I've used the service twice, and I did appreciate my second time a lot more, as I think I connected with my provider a lot better. Having access to a dermatology specialist, and especially one with cosmetic specialty, is really nice! Also, I did like having a one step actives routine. Despite my issues with it, the base lotion is really nice, and moisturizing, without being greasy, which is a nice change from a lot of RX topical formulas.

Some things I didn't like: the azelaic acid can only go up to 9%. Considering I can buy up 20% OTC (although that strength may be too much for some people), I found it frustrating that Curology was constrained to such a low number. I also don't really like how there was no option for Spironolactone or Accutane. I'm aware that these therapies require bloodwork and check ups, but I feel like this sort of thing could be handled at contracted labs. For example, the providers at Curology could send lab orders over, the patient/client, could get that taken care of, and the Curology providers could go from there. Considering that a lot of acne patients often need more than topicals, I feel like this would have been a great way to retain more patients. I also feel like the formulas don't ALWAYS need to have three ingredients. Some patients don't need the Vit C or have a sensitivity to Niacinamide. I feel like it would have been better for some people to only have one ingredient.

Overall, I think it's a great place to start, especially if you are clueless about treating your skin conditions, or if you don't have access to a derm. It didn't really work for me as my needs involved something the service didn't provide, but I still would recommend it to others.
Susana A.
Corpus Christi, TX
I wish I can give this 100 stars!
I suffer with acne since I was 15 and I use to use Proactive for the longest bcuz there was nothing bk then on the market that I could get my hands on outside A dermatologist office that was affordable and to me was a quick fix solution.
Then I came across this ad on Facebook of Curology and I saw all the claims and all the testimonies from real people, I saw all the pictures and it looked like a lot of people suffered with the same type of acne I suffered with so I took a chance I order the free trial and oh my God in the first month my skin improved and cleared up so much I literally was in tears because I hadn’t seen my own skin in a healthy state for a long time almost 15 years after month number 2 my skin kept improving by the day by the night I literally would stop and stare at myself in the mirror in disbelief that Curology is curing my skin and has done more of a better job than Proactive has ever did, I am six months into my using Curology and my skin is clear I do not break out anymore the only thing I have is some acne scars but even those are looking softer and softer as the months pass! If you suffer from acne I beg you please give this a try you will not be disappointed the reason why Curology works is because they’re real dermatologist that are issuing this prescription to you it’s affordable you do not have to go and pay the co-pay in the dermatologist office or wait long hours this comes delivered right to you simply by sending 5 to 6 pictures to them and they could automatically know which prescription to give you and they hit my type of skin right on the money and of course you check in’s every four months with pictures and if they need to tweak your prescription they let you know ITS JUST AWESOME!!!
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
I think like most people I fell for the facebook marketing and the sales pitch. The idea is that you talk to a "doctor" on their site, upload pictures od your bare face and acne and wait about 5 to 7 days to hear back. You have to pay first though. Luckily the first bottle is free except for like 4.95 shipping and handling. And honestly for all of us who suffer with acne it doesn't hurt to try anything and if nothing has worked a change in ingredients is a welcome experiment.
So they use the same three "active" ingredients for everyone. They say its prescription strength and that you need a prescription for it which is why you talk to the online doctor.
Unfortunately that isn't exactly true. I looked up each ingredient and their rules for prescription or over the counter. The percentages they give you are too low for recommended acne treatment and are something you can get easily over the counter or online. No prescription needed. Only once you get into higher percentages and oral medications with these ingredients will you need a prescription and they won't take you up that far. Also if your acne is hormonal and you need antibiotics or somethimg prescribed they tell you to go to a doctor or dermatologist so this is not like the online doctor you go to for ailments where they can prescribe medications online to your pharmacy. The fact that they act like this is what they are is a little underhanded and sneaky if you ask me.
Now this has nothing to do with whether or not the product is effective. This will depend on your skin type, your type of acne and how your acne and skin react to the very low amounts of "medicine" in this. Unfortunately for me it didnt do a thing. It didn't make it better or worse but it didn't make it worse and clog my pores so it didn't hurt me to try it and for 5 dollars and a cancellation it was worth it. They say it can take 6 to 8 weeks to see full results and that you will probably purge (break out bad) in the meantime. None of this happened for me and I have two bottles. I use one pump each because that's more than enough to cover my face in a thin layer and each bottle has 60 pumps in it. They say the average user uses 2 pumps and so they send a new one out every 30 days. If you need more or less you just contact them. I actually just cancelled my card and got a new one for other reasons and they started writing me a week before the second bottle was to be mailed and said I needed to update my payment info and then sent out the second bottle anyway 7 days later so I didn't pay anything for it but have used this long enough to get a good feel for the product ajd the company.
Overall I do recommend it because it may work for you and can't hurt to try. But be wary of the sales pitches because they lie. And the 6 to 8 week Mark dor it working is a convenient time frame as you would have to pay full price plus shipping during that time so they are making money so I don't fully trust that. If you have acne you know how long it takes to start seeing changes from a product good or bad. Usually 2 to 3 weeks for noticeable results of some sort to start so don't fall for it just because they say it.
Erica R.
I could write a book on how much I love this company, but I"ll try to contain myself. And no this isn't sponsored, cause it's gonna sound like it is, haha :P

This company is a freaking life changer. After switching medications in 2016 I broke out with severe cystic acne. Like "it looks like I have an extra chin cause it's so swollen from all the cysts" type of acne. After much trial and error, I found Curology. LIFE CHANGER. They hooked me up with a skin professional person who looked at the pictures I uploaded and 4 days after discovering the company, on Christmas Eve no less, I had my personalized formula in my hands. Did go through the dreaded "purge", but it was totally worth it. I was able to contact my advisor whenever I needed and she hooked me up with recommendations for face wash, moisturizer, and sunscreen. I was even able to switch up my formula once things calmed down so now I have both anti-acne and anti-aging stuff. I can't speak highly enough of this brand. 100% recommend. Try em out, give it time to go through the purge cycle, and hopefully, it'll change your lives as well.

Chenoa B.
Jacksonville
Curology I read that everyone get's prescribed the same thing. I was just prescribed 0.009% Tretinoin, 1% Clindamycin and 9% Azelaic Acid, is this the same for everyone? I was also told to try 1 of 3 different body soaps. And the daily regimen is to cleanse and use sunscreen and that is it.
Ruth L.
Fall City
What has your experience been with Curology?
Ascia A.
Bordj bou arreridj
What does this do? Is it good?
S E R I N A ★ H.
Honolulu, HI
What other products do you use along with this regimen?
Melissa E.
Prescott Vly, AZ
I’m about to start Curology, I received it in the mail yesterday. Even though they give you recommendations of their favorite products to use while using curology for your skin care regimen, has anyone else found better products that work better then what they recommend? This is what my acne looks like: