BY ZUPREEM #93 in Bird Food

For small birds such as Parakeets & Budgies Small pellet size w/5 different fruit shapes & colors Contains fresh ground fruit for a taste & aroma birds love 21 vitamins and minerals in every bite ZuPreem Fruit Blend Premium Bird Food is formulated for various species of adult psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills). Nutritionally balanced. Small pellet size is recommended for Parakeets, Budgerigars, Parrotlets and other small parrots. Available in 2- and 8.75-Lb sizes. see more...

Buy on Walmart
Crystal M.
Pittsfield
Review for: Fruitblend Diet Small 14 oz more...
We bought the Zupreem fruit blend pellets to mix in with our green cheek conure's seed mix. We wanted to give him a little variety, and grabbed a small 14 oz. sample sized bag.  While I think it's a better diet than an all seed blend, it does contain a lot of sugars and unnecessary food coloring. Our green cheek would either eat around the pellets or toss them out. While I know that switching to pellets from an all seed diet takes time and patience, he wouldn't even take the pellet hand offered as a treat. We will be trying a different pellet blend.
Claudia F.
Winter Haven, FL
I have purchased this for my quail numerous times and they just love it. It smells just like a bowl of freshly cut fruits. I normally buy them the extra small bird one but if it's not in stock I buy them this one, the small bird. It's great for them. My male dives right in! Awesome benefits for them and it's healthy.
Holly  M.
Shawano, WI
My parakeets love this fruit blend. It's healthy for them and it smells good to. It's really good to have some fruit in your birds diet then all seed. Great and healthy food for birds.
Bobbi Jo M.
Bristol, CT
I use this for my cockatiel he absolutely loves it . I like pellets better then seeds less messy
Michelle C.
There are two main reasons why I don't approve of this food. The first is the sugar content, which I spoke of in my review of Zupreem Naturals. Zupreem, among other pellet brands, is notoriously high in sugar, which can leave birds with extra pent up energy that they have no release for. Having spoken with a breeder in Australia who houses her parrots in large walk-in aviaries, even she finds the difference between Zupreem and a lower sugar diet to be huge in terms of effect on temperament. Extra sugar not only gives them more energy, but can make birds hormonal and broody.

The second reason is the artificial colouring. Bird owners need to be very in the know of reading stool as an indicator of health, from texture and composition up to colour. When birds are on a diet with added dyes, this skews what we can see about their health because often times the dyes end up in their stool. In some cases, owners will assume coloured stool is a result of the food, when in fact the bird could be quite ill.

With all of that said, this is still a balanced pellet which is better than no pellet at all. It's very readily available and affordable, and can be a good transitional food, potentially to a better pellet. If it's all you can get it's not a bad option. I would opt for the uncoloured Naturals before the Fruit Blend, but I would also opt for a brand like Harrison's, Roudybush, Lafeber, or Vetafarm before Zupreem.
Mai A.
My budgie loved it but at first he was afraid of it so I suggest to put only a few of it and each time you change its food bowl, just add more and more. My budgie loves the fruity smell and always eats it up; also I think all birds should have some pellets everyday for a balanced diet :)
Nancie P.
Manchester, NH
Is this safe for budgie, what's the difference before regular seeds and pellets?