BY ZOO MED LABORATORIES

The perfect sandy substrate for your hermit crab. The perfect sandy substrate for your hermit crab. This all-natural, healthy sand is made of calcium carbonate-provides a much-needed source of calcium for your little friend, as well as an environment similar to their wild habitat. 2lb bag see more...

• Hats your favorite sand color? Do you use more than 1 color?1 Answers
Ashley W.
Waukegan, IL
I did not like this sand and found out it isn't the best for the hermies. It was such a small amount! Instead I got ecoearth and a huge bag of play sand, mixed at a ratio of 5 parts sand to 1 part ecoearth. I put 6" of substrate in my tank and my hermit crabs were very happy. They ended up molting soon after I put in the new substrate! As far as calcium goes, I just buy cuttlebone, crush it, and sprinkle that in their food.
Emily N.
Alexandria, VA
In college I had hermit crabs. I bought this sand for them and it looked great in their cage. It seemed like it was something they liked and that it was close to what their natural habitat would be. They lived a long time and seemed as happy as hermit crabs could be!
Susan S.
Eloy, AZ
This type of sand is bad for Hermit Crabs. It can get into their shells and cause them to become cemented into the shell and die. Plus it is expensive as can be! Best sub for Hermits is a 5:2 ratio of Play Sand and Eco Earth.
Alexandria S.
I use the blue sand. I think the colors are fun to have around and mix and match, it's kind of expensive but it's better than just regular sand or nothing at all.
Alexandria S.
Pet Lover Expert
Hats your favorite sand color? Do you use more than 1 color?