Yes Please by Amy Poehler uploaded by Sarah O.Yes Please by Amy Poehler uploaded by Evalyn C.

BY AMY POEHLER #99 in Books

Do you want to get to know the woman we first came to love on Comedy Central's Upright Citizens Brigade? Do you want to spend some time with the lady who made you howl with laughter on Saturday Night Live, and in movies like Baby Mama, Blades of Glory, and They Came Together? Do you find yourself daydreaming about hanging out with the actor behind the brilliant Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation? Did you wish you were in the audience at the last two Golden Globes ceremonies, so you could bask in the hilarity of Amy's one-liners?

If your answer to these questions is "Yes Please!" then you are in luck. In her first book, one of our most beloved funny folk delivers a smart, pointed, and ultimately inspirational read. Full of the comedic skill that makes us all love Amy, Yes Please is a rich and varied collection of stories, lists, poetry (Plastic Surgery Haiku, to be specific), photographs, mantras and advice. With chapters like "Treat Your Career Like a Bad Boyfriend," "Plain Girl Versus the Demon" and "The Robots Will Kill Us All" Yes Please will make you think as much as it will make you laugh. Honest, personal, real, and righteous, Yes Please is full of words to live by.

• Amy Pohler or Tina Fey? 1 Answers
  • I love her but is this a book something that's worth reading? Did s...4 Answers
  • I love Amy! How is this book? 7 Answers
Buy on Target
April C.
April C.
N Syracuse, NY
WHY DID I READ THIS BOOK?
A few years back, I listened to the audiobook of Bossypants by Tina Fey and I think that kind of jumpstarted this love of celebrity narrated memoirs. Amy Poehler, BFF with Tina Fey is a superstar in her own right. When I saw that Yes Please was being released on Audible I knew without doubt that I had to plunk down a credit on that audiobook. I am one of those people who is a megafan of Parks And Recreation despite not having seen the last season, I have seen the prior seasons enough that Tom Haverford’s slang has made it into my every day language and I do in fact own a DJ roomba.

WHAT’S THE STORY HERE?
I wouldn’t say that there is a specific story per se in Amy Poehler’s Yes Please. Rather, it’s a collection of Poehler’s thoughts and observations. We learn about her life growing up in Boston. We learn about how hard she’s worked to get to where she is. There’s a part about how she learned that she loved acting — when she was in the school play for the Wizard Of Oz and she had the audience in stitches. That’s a feeling that she wanted to keep replicating. It’s actually really interesting to read about her working class origins and to see how far she’s come. There’s also parts in there on her divorce from Will Arnett as well as the birth and raising of her children. OH! And how she is very woman positive and about cheering people on instead of being jealous of their success or bitter. I love that. I love the positivity and that’s something that Poehler inspires me to do — to be happy for people who succeed and not jealous or petty about it because I can do that too. If that makes any sense. OH OH OH and before I forget Poehler also details her most shameful moment while on Saturday Night Live and how this one time she did a skit that punched down and laughed at someone instead of with and how it made her feel awful afterward.

Yes Please is such a candid and honest book that I really did feel like Poehler was my friend while I was listening to it. I liked that she didn’t shy away from anything and was just so transparent. She’s absolutely great and well, even though she’s got her faults like all humans, I continue to be a fan.

HOW’S THE NARRATION?
Okay so the very best thing about Yes Please the audiobook is that not only does the inimitable Amy Poehler narrate, but she has guest narrators! Like Carol Burnett for one! As well as a few others, but I won’t spoil the surprise. This is one of those audiobooks that I was sad to see end. I already like Poehler and watch Parks And Recreation, so the audiobook felt like something I would naturally like — and I totally did. I think if you are new to audiobooks this one might actually be quite a good fit for you. It’s easy to listen to and Poehler has a lot of life in her narration.

WHO SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS BOOK?
EVERYONE
Lindsey C.
Lindsey C.
I read this book solely because I love Amy Poehler and I wanted to red more about her. This a very very well written book. It talks all about her life growing up and how great her parents were and how they helped her become the person she is and about her struggles to become a comedian and everything she has been through up till now. It is inspiring because it tells you about hard work and how to just keep working hard because things will pay off without saying it straightforward. A good read for anyone who needs a little insight on pushing through the hard times. It's also super funny as expected since it is Amy Poehler.
Jody J.
Jody J.
Lanesville, IN
I came across this book while college visiting at Ball State (obviously I had to see the bookstore, leave me alone) and absolutely had to get it. Amy Poehler is one of my favorites. Favorite people, actress, comedian, and now author. This book was so hilarious in her typical, cluelessly self-deprecating humor, and I adored it. It gave a good insight to her actual life as well as just being generally hilarious. I loved this book so much, and I recommend it for anyone who likes to laugh. *winky emoji*
Rachel C.
Rachel C.
I love this book way more than I expected. I thought it would just be a boring story of how she became awesome, but it is so much more! She is candid, hilarious, and even though it seems kind of random she pulls it altogether to make some very important observations about life. You don't have to sit down and read it straight through, I actually stopped reading it a few times when life got hectic but it was so easy to get back into. If I could have I would have read it in one sitting!
Amanda S.
Amanda S.
Virginia Bch, VA
You alm ok st forget it's an autobiography instead of a sketch on SNL, especially with the audio book, but even without it you know you totally read it in her voice. Amy has a way of making you feel like you know her and that you're best friends, you cry about the divorce, you rejoice with new relationships and happiness with her, it's a must have to any bibliophile!
sasha d.
sasha d.
Whitehall, PA
After watching Parks and Rec I really liked Amy Poehler and saw she had a book out. After reading it I even like her more! She is always so positive it seems and has had a very interesting life working her way into show business. Her and Tina Fey seem like the funniest people! Loved the book and will definitely reread!
Camille S.
Camille S.
I think this book is an excellent read for a 20-something. It speaks directly to you with advice on how seriously to take yourself, your job, your friends, and you family. There are also awesome tidbits of information for big Parks and Rec fans such as myself. Great read and I would recommend to friends and family!
Greta B.
Greta B.
New Richmond, WI
Let me start out by saying that I idolize Amy Poehler. So, when I bought her book and read it there was no surprise that it was incredible. Between her jokes and stories regarding her days on SNL, she also discussed personal topics. This was very insightful into what she's like as a person outside of television.
Jay H.
Jay H.
Orlando, FL
Amy Poehler is one of my most favorite actresses/human beings of all time. This memoir is such a sweet and funny peek into her life and her career. I got through 150 pages in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. Amy is incredibly witty and relatable. This read is worth the time.
Jennifer H.
Jennifer H.
Knoxville, TN
I loved this! I'm normally a strict YA fiction reader but decided to give this a shot since I love Amy Poehler so much! This book was hilarious! I'd also suggest listening to it on audio! She reads it herself and also has guest readers.

If you love Amy Poehler, definitely read this!
Mariah P.
Mariah P.
I love Amy! How is this book?
Amy S.
Amy S.
Roseville, MN
Is this book worth the read?
Pamela N.
Pamela N.
Hamilton , Ontario
Is this book good ? Did it make you laugh ?
RoseAnn H.
RoseAnn H.
Was this an easy book to read? Some autobiographies get boring and are hard to really get into....does this read like a traditional autobiography or is it told more like a story?
Maria Laura M.
Maria Laura M.
miami, FL
What is this book about?