At Mars we have spent nearly two decades researching canine genetics starting with our instrumental role in the Canine Genomics project in 1999. Mars Veterinary was established in 2005 and since that time our team of scientists and geneticists has been analyzing canine DNA and identifying the most useful DNA SNP markers to distinguish between different dog breeds. Using that set of more than 1800 markers and DNA samples from each breed, our researchers have developed signatures (patterns) specific to each breed.

To date, the Mars Veterinary database of breed signatures is the largest in the world (more than 12,000 samples) with more than 250 breeds, types and varieties represented and we are expanding it every year. In addition Mars Veterinary holds the worldwide exclusive license on the breed detection analysis process developed by the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Institute making our tests the only ones in the world with this technology.

We continue to work with researchers in the field such as Washington State University to license the MDR1 drug sensitivity test, and Genoscoper Laboratories® in Finland for our extensive disease screening and diversity testing to expand our offerings for consumers, breeders, veterinarians, and shelters alike. We believe in the important role genetics can play in making a better world for our four-legged family members. By using DNA to discover a dog's ancestry and screen for genetic diseases, pet owners and veterinarians can work together to proactively address the one-of-a-kind needs of each unique dog. Simply put, when you know the breeds in your dog you know a lot more about how to make them happy and healthy.

How accurate are these tests? I got this test for my dog and she came back as full Yorkie. However, I’m not sure this is 100% accurate as there’s no way of verifying or if it was because there wasn’t enough data to conclude her breed. Any advice?
Is this only for pets?
How long did it take to get results? Do you feel like they were accurate? I’m waiting for my dog’s results now.
Start your review of Wisdom Panel!
How would you rate this product?
Kayley B.
Irvine, CA
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Kayley B.
Iggy was a stray dog with such an interesting look so we really were curious about her DNA. I think Wisdom Panel is affordable compared to others on the market and the results were decent but I am not a fan of the fact that they could not better identify her fourth breed. I am left curious as to whether a more expensive service could…… like Embark?
Nicky B.
Gardnerville Nv
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Nicky B.
LOVE knowing what mix both my chihuahuas are. The Company is fast with results and I felt they were spot on. Worth every penny..............
Dorian M.
Kansas City, MO
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Dorian M.
Absolutely fantastic! I’ve been looking for a DNA test for my beloved NaKita (german shepherd/chow/etc..mix) because she is the perfect dog. I mean everyone thinks there fur babies are perfect but she is truly an exception. Anyway.... all the reviews I read talked about how people felt cheated & ripped off. I asked our vet & she suggested Wisdom Panel. I found it on the Walmart website at $20 off so I thought what the heck. It arrived within a few days. I followed the instructions, almost. I did the swabs correctly but I didn’t include ANY info about NaKita. I wanted to see if they were legit. The results took 2//3 weeks & I am amazed at how accurate they are. I 100% recommend!! #wisdompanel #petdna #honestresults
annie U.
akron
Wisdom Panel uploaded by annie U.
Quick turn around and the information given was great! It’s Insane what all they can tell! Will definitely use if I ever get a pup again and it’s a mutt! So fun to wait for the answers of your furry friend! There was more to it than just what was in the photo but that’s just some of the thing my fur baby is!
Alyssa C.
Trenton, TN
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Alyssa C.
I got this wisdom panel test and people think just because their dog doesn’t look like the breeds that means they aren’t the breeds it says but in fact they are most always likely the breeds it says just because they don’t look like some of the breeds doesn’t mean anything their sisters or brothers or mom or dad could look like what breeds they have in them it’s all in their dna so yes I do recommend this I also will be comparing embark soon just make sure you get the most updated version
Aydin A.
Coral Gables, FL
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Aydin A.
I did the test for my dog and as expected, he was a true mutt. Lab, husky, pointer and some pit. It looks at a few features the dog has like the shape of the head or tail and matches to the common characteristics of other breeds. It was quite accurate but no different from a random person guessing your dog's breed in the park in terms of methodology. I think it is ok but it is not nearly as advanced as human DNA testing services. You won't learn much you already didn't know.
Elena P.
Finksburg, MD
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Elena P.
Loved being able to see what breeds my dog is. Also told me what health concerns my dog might have because of the breeds she is.
Jess P.
Hampton, NH
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Jess P.
So happy we did this dna testing for our rescue. It is a bit expensive BUT a lot better in pricing than other dna sites. The site and kit were both easy to use. We had results fast and were happy with them. It seems to be very accurate. Definitely recommend Wisdom Panel!
Alexis S.
Tempe, AZ
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Alexis S.
The Wisdom Panel test came as part of her Puppy Wellness package at her vet. They took a tiny sample of blood while they were already running a few other labs and sent off her DNA test. I was told by the rescue that she was so many different types of breeds that I think they mixed her up with another dog they had there. The vet ended up saying that they still believed she was a miniature schnauzer which does come up in the Terrier Group as one of the first few examples. I thought the health portion was particularly interesting because that’s something you would really never know about unless running a test. I also enjoyed the Traits section where it talked about her genotypes and what she looks like based off her sample. It’s really quite wild! It was fun to do and see what happened and evolved with her over time. They estimated her weight to be 9-17 pounds and she’s a healthy 22 so it can have some variables! Wisdom Panel
Lashay C.
Portland, OR
Wisdom Panel uploaded by Lashay C.
I originally purchased this DNA test to see if Snickers was really want the breeder said she was .... She wasn’t . Turn out she’s one of a kind ... literally 🥰 . The results came back in about 3 weeks tops via email ( you also have the option to print out the results ) . You can purchase this DNA test on Amazon or Wisdom panels website . They have 2 DNA test options , one for genetic breeds testing and one for genetic breed testing and health testing ( you also have the option to purchase the health testing separate if you only purchase the genetic breed testing ). The only thing I do not like his how they test for PUREBREDS ONLY in your pups bloodline . I know for a fact Snickers Great grandparents where a Sheltie mix but Wisdom Panel does not detected mixed breeds . So I would not suggest to the parents to has a supermutt ( Embarks term for mixed breeds ) because Wisdom Panel will not tell you what those breeds are . I would suggest getting a Embark DNA test that will be able to detect what that 25% is . Embark test is WAY MORE DETAILED and it’s for the same price . But over all I was very happy to see these results. #puppylove #dog
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Daisy J.
Pittsburgh, PA
il y a 3 ans
Lashay C. il y a 3 ans
These are the results for my pup Snickers , it took about 3 weeks for the results to come back . You can also get a health genetic test done along with the DNA test . I feel like the test were pretty accurate other than not being able to detect that 25% of her .