BY CROWN PUBLISHING GROUP

From the author of the beloved New York Times bestselling book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and the creator and star of The Mindy Project comes a collection of essays that are as hilarious and insightful as they are deeply personal. In Why Not Me? Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it's falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you're constantly reminded that no one looks like you. In "How to Look Spectacular: A Starlet's Confessions," Kaling gives her tongue-in-cheek secrets for surefire on-camera beauty, ("Your natural hair color may be appropriate for your skin tone, but this isn't the land of appropriate-this is Hollywood, baby. Out here, a dark-skinned woman's traditional hair color is honey blonde.") "Player" tells the story of Kaling being seduced and dumped by a female friend in L.A. ("I had been replaced by a younger model. And now they had matching bangs.") In "Unlikely Leading Lady," she muses on America's fixation with the weight of actresses, ("Most women we see onscreen are either so thin that they're walking clavicles or so huge that their only scenes involve them breaking furniture.") And in "Soup Snakes," Kaling spills some secrets on her relationship with her ex-boyfriend and close friend, B.J. Novak ("I will freely admit: my relationship with B.J. Novak is weird as hell.") Mindy turns the anxieties, the glamour, and the celebrations of her second coming-of-age into a laugh-out-loud funny collection of essays that anyone who's ever been at a turning point in their life or career can relate to. And those who've never been at a turning point can skip to the parts where she talks about meeting Bradley Cooper. see more...

• I love her show and have been thinking in buying her book. Any ad...1 Answers
  • I don't usually read nonfiction books. but, I like Mindy Kaling ...4 Answers
  • I've seen her books and would like to read, I should start off wi...3 Answers
Melissa K.
Fountain Hill, PA
I love Mindy's books! I have read both of them and loved then! Her writing style is so funny and makes it hard to put the book down! I personally liked her first book a bit more, but I enjoyed reading this one, too! If you are a fan of her work, or have no idea who she is, it is a great book regardless!
Gia J.
In this book, Mindy takes the readers through her life leading up to the launched—and preceding—her own TV show, The Mindy Project and the way in which she opens up about her experiences with her rising celebrity status I can not help but find incredibly enduring.

I kind of feel like enduring isn’t the right word here—more like awe-inspiring. Not every one will have the same career path or experiences that she has had, but in my opinion she has this great, inviting and honest ways of connecting with people. Her funny stories and unforgiving antidotes will keep you sticking around to listen to how she defines her crazy/weird “soup-snakes” relationship with B. J. Novak, the things she learned about getting her show picked-up and it’s transfer to Hulu, the inspiration behind the show and the character and about the time she decided to “rush” in college.

Need I forget, the all too brief tale about her on-again, off-again relationship with a secrete service officer, Will. Or the detailed and very funny alternate universe story she shares about her life if she had not moved out to L.A. over ten years ago. I think it’s funny that Mindy often describes her voice and the way that she speaks as a sort of screeching, when in all honestly, it comes across as a light and feathery—if that makes any sense. I mean, I watch The Mindy Project and I’ve seen Mindy’s character be “angry” or “pissed off” but she never sounds scary or unnerve-wrackingly aggressive or intimidating.

Reading this book, watching her show or catching her in an interview, Mindy’s tonality and personality just proves that when *cough* if I become a famous TV writer, she and I will be besties. I can feel it, guys. I can tell it’ll happen. And no, you can have a say on the matter because it’s already written in the stars of my future fame filled life.

Where was?…Oh, right, the review :) to summarize, once again, I adore Mindy and her inviting, quirky, and honest personality. I’d recommend this to anyone who loves Mindy, wants a non-invasive, easy, enjoyable and funny book to enjoy
Tayler H.
Richardson, TX
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I received this book in a subscription box so I had an obligation to read it. Autobiographies are not usually books that I pick up. I like Mindy Kaling just fine, I think she's funny but I don't really see a purpose in this book. It didn't really have a straight storyline or touch on any specific point in Mindy's life. Not for me really.
Kansas B.
Sparta, NC
I love Mindy Kaling! Her books are so funny, and such quick reads! "Why Not Me" and "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" are among my favorite books. Mindy is so honest, and sees the world and herself from such a refreshing perspective. I recommend!
Patty T.
Winterville, GA
Why Not Me? (Hardcover) is one of the better autobiographies I've read in a long time. Kaling presents her reality as one I could definitely relate to being a woman of color. I felt empowered and inspired by this book.
Krista T.
I have been curious of Mindy Kaling for quite some time. I know her from US version of The Office. While I have not watched a single episode of The Mindy Project, I have been very curious of that as well. When I saw that Mindy released her second book when I had not even read her first, I knew it was time to jump on the band wagon. Having recently read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and having not quite met my expectations) I was ready to get into Why Not Me?

Can I start out by saying how beautiful the hardcover edition of this book is? I was seriously impressed when I opened my box from Penguin Random House. It is high quality. I am a sucker for that gold trim. The cutest part about the whole book is the end pages (the pages at the beginning or the book and the end of the book with designs on them?) The pattern is adorable and even that has a bit of that golden hint. I love the way the book is set up. There are different parts to the book each with unique essays and sub-essays. The photos through on the book are great details. The look of this book is a book lovers dream.

Let me get on to the good stuff, the insides. I liked this book from the very start. She dives right into a part called “For the Ladies” which features beauty advice, sorority life, party ideas and more. The second part of the book entitled “Take This Job and Love It” fell short for me. While it was interesting to know how her thoughts on creating her own television show (The Mindy Project), I found it somewhat boring. I loved the essay called “I Love S*x Scenes!” however. In another part of the book she talks about love and dating. Perhaps my favorite part of the book is in this section, an essay called “A Perfect Courtship in My Alternative Life”. I actually really liked this story through email correspondence and would have liked more. I would read a entire book based of that story alone!

In the end I got a very similar feeling from Why not Me? As I did from Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? I went in with high, high hopes but was perhaps a little disappointed that I didn’t love the whole book. There are some really great parts but there are also some flat ones.

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review.
Stephanie L.
I just started this book a few days ago! It's fun and honest and a really easy read. Mindy covers different aspects of her life in small sections. It opens up about her and also gives advice on things. I appreciate books like this because it shows you that "famous people" are genuinely just normal people with more money and fame. Good read for girls.
Gretchen L.
Madison, AL
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I love autobiographies, especially those written by people who are still alive! (haha) I probably wouldn't have gone and bought this book on my own, but a friend had just finished reading it so I borrowed it from her.

I was unable to relate to Mindy Kaling in the way I was with Lauren Graham or Anna Kendrick. Her story was interesting, and you can definitely see her sense of humor in this book, but it wasn't as great as I had hoped it to be.
Candice C.
University Pk, PA
Easily one of the funniest books I've read in a while, Mindy's Why Not Me? (Hardcover) is a perfect and easy read for anyone in the mood to laugh and get better insight into what the set of The Office and corporate Hollywood is really like. A huge fan of Kaling, I sped through this book in about a week, mostly reading it on metro commutes to and from work. 10/10 would recommend!
Danielle R.
Troy, OH
I love Mindy Kahling and her humor! I love that this book gives insight into what makes her so naturally hilarious! She had a brilliant humor that shines in this wonderful little book without being obnoxious! I highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of her work!
Jill D.
Dyersburg, TN
I don't usually read nonfiction books. but, I like Mindy Kaling and think this or her other books might be good. Any recommendations for this one? is it good considering it isn't a "story".
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
Is this as good as they say it is???
Brittany S.
Jacksonville, FL
I've seen her books and would like to read, I should start off with the first book of hers? Is it worth buying them or checking them out in the library?
Karen L.
Sacramento, CA
I love her show and have been thinking in buying her book. Any advice if the book is a must purchase? #help #loveher #isthebookworth #buying