BY WEST ELM #8 in Home Stores

• Can you order things here?! :D 3 Answers
  • What is your favorite product 4 Answers
  • I love the West Elm line of mid century modern furniture....2 Answers
West Elm
In terms of quality, West Elm furniture can be hit or miss. Their customer service, however, always sucks. I ordered a $2,000 sofa and waited 8 weeks for delivery. The day before it was scheduled to be delivered, the transit company called me and said that the sofa was missing its legs. A $2,000 sofa shipped with no legs. I mean, doesn't this company inspect its allegedly "Made in America" furniture? The delivery company had already called West Elm who told them to deliver it anyway and they would send me the legs 2 months later. I thought they were joking. Nope, 2 months. I've received things from China in 2 weeks, surely North Carolina can do better than that! I called West Elm. They offered no apology or faster shipment, but they did offer 3 solutions: 1) accept delivery and wait 2 months for the legs (no express delivery); 2) reorder the entire sofa, and wait 8-12 weeks; or 3) cancel the order. I chose option 3. The delivery company didn't get the word and knocked on my door in the morning. I kid you not, the delivery driver worked harder to get me to accept delivery than West Elm did. He assured me that the legs would be delivered much sooner and that they had put on "dummy" legs that would lift the sofa off the floor. I almost accepted it, but then I remembered that I had paid $2,000 for the sofa, plus $100 for white glove delivery, plus almost $200 in shipping and handling and waited 8 weeks for a sofa with no legs from a company that couldn't care less or sympathize with my frustration. I refused delivery, and I'm done with West Elm. I highly recommend Article as an alternative. Excellent customer service!
Sum S.
Rude customer service . And no price adjustments, are you kidding me? Lost 300$ in one day as they refused to do adjustment to my online order. Once I receive the order I am planning on returning everything. Most horrible experience ever
Veronica M.
I love the affordable products that West Elm sells. My favorite are their pillow cases and trays to go ontop of an ottoman or couch.  The always send me promo codes by email because I signed up for their mailing list so I love being able to save even more money. They have mostly contemporary style items and a lot of furniture too. They sell everything you need for furnishing and decorating your home. I do fine their furniture to be a bit pricey but overall recommend this store.
Jenovese D.
Completely horrible experience with this company. While the people in the store nice, their delivery company is awful- they dont answer their phone, don't communicate about your order, and I would particularly caution you about buying if you live in nyc- they seem to have no desire to comply with building hours and insurance requirements, which essentially means you wont get your furniture. On top of all of this, they charged me twice for shipping and now I'm waiting for that to be reimbursed.
member-8ed9d
Absolute garbage quality. They may look great but underneath the product is awful. We have a two year old sectional that is cracked, sagged and basically needs to be replaced. ZERO response from West Elm when I appealed to them for help. How can you do that in 2018? They've also taken product reviews off their site. Very telling. Don't fall into the great look of this furniture. It is real LOW quality underneath. Do a search on them and read reviews. I'm not alone. And West Elm--if you see this--please contact me. I'm not going to stop posting. You will lose far more in sales vs. fixing the problem you've given me.
elizabeth r.
I wrote the following to West Elm and got a generic response with no indication of how or when they planned to rectify the situation:
To whom it may concern,
I placed an order for a couch on September 1st.  This order was given the "white glove service" which allowed for a scheduled delivery.

September 6 was sent an email that delivery was ready to be scheduled.
Couch was delivered on September 14th.  The man delivering the couch was unable to fit it up the stairs in the package.  He said that West Elm could not take the couch back if we took off the packaging which would allow the cushions to come off and possibly allow the couch up the stairs.  I had ordered the couch with a gift card.  I was told that in order to reorder the couch to a service that would cut the couch, I had to wait 7-10 business days for a new gift card to be delivered, rather than applying the credit to my account.
On October 3rd my husband called to check the status of the gift card.  We had spoken to the service that was going to be cutting the couch and had scheduled a tentative date, so we were hoping to know exactly when we could place the order and receive the couch.  We were told that the gift card stillhad not been processed or mailed, but that we could apply the credit to reorder the couch, which is what we had requested originally and were denied. In speaking with Debra M Roy, she informed my husband that the couch needed to be delivered straight to a non-West Elm location and could not be picked up by the company that cuts the couch (a "rule" that was directly contrary to what the company cutting our couch has traditionally done with West Elm, that being picking up the couch at the warehouse). As we needed to confirm and obtain an address for the couch to be sent, Debra provided my husband her email address to let her know if we wanted to apply the credit and reorder the couch.
The next day, on October 4th my husband emailed Debra M Roy with the address and asked a question about the pick up and delivery.  When he did not hear back, he emailed for a second time the following day on October 5th to obtain confirmation.  On October 8th, he emailed for a third time and still got no response.
On October 10th, I spent 23 minutes on the phone with West Elm.  I do not know what customer service representative I spoke to.  Because I had been having so much difficulty with the ordering process, I asked to be connected to a manager to ensure that the order went through and I would have confirmation.  The manager I spoke to was Mitchell from the leadership team.  He assured me that he would now be overseeing the order and that the couch would be delivered on October 17th to Melo and Sons, the service that I had hired to cut the couch.
At 6:47 PM on October 14th, I received an email saying that I needed to call the delivery team at West Elm to schedule a delivery between October 23rd to November 6th. I called West Elm and asked to speak with the person who was supposedly overseeing the order.  I was told that I could not speak to Mitchell and instead was connected to Justin, another person on the leadership team. He told me that he was unable to give me an estimated delivery because the warehouse that does the deliveries was closed.  He told me that he would call the original manager (who was working at the time) and request a call back immediately.  He also told me that if Justin did not follow up with me, he would call me first thing in the morning with a status update on my order.  This was important as I had originally scheduled a cutting to be done on the 17th.  I did not receive a call.
I called West Elm today, October 16th at 5:09 and asked to speak with one of the two managers that I spoken to previously, as I were told that they had been noted in the customer notes.  After waiting for 16 minutes on hold, I was disconnected. I had a scheduled call at 5:30 so I was unable to call back immediately after.  When I called again at 6:12, I spoke with Penny from Customer Service.  At the time, I did not know the names of the managers to whom I had previosuly spoken. I asked for their first names, and Penny refused to give them to me stating that she would get another manager on the line. At that time, I very much regretted not writing down exactly who I spoke to.
After the 25 minutes, I was connected to Jessica from the leadership team.  She said that the delivery warehouse was closed so she was unable to check the status of my order but that it would definitely not be delivered on the originally quoted date of October 17th.  She provided the managers first names, but would not give me an email for Mitchell or Justin or even send me an email to confirm that we had spoken.  She told me that she could not let me speak to them because they were on other service calls.  She told me that she sent Justin an urgent email to call me.  It is now over an hour later and neither manager has called me.  I scheduled a service to be done tomorrow and need a status update tonight.

*My husband called the following afternoon (after missing out appointment with the couch cutting service) and they let us know that it would be delivered to the service the 26th, 9 days after the scheduled date.
Sandy C.
Winters, CA
I really love west elm furniture, bedding, rugs, dishes... I could just move right in! I shop there often but can’t always afford to buy the big ticket items. I love their quality and style! I always do d myself going back for more...
Amanda S.
Jim Thorpe, PA
West elm is such a beautiful store but it can be hit or miss with me . I got some beautiful plates and lamps for the house but sometimes it’s a bit too modern for me . I usually go for their more unique items
Courtney K.
Marietta, GA
I really like this place
Knowledgeable, friendly, great service all around at my area. Not pushy sales people or keeping on your toes to sell you something. Comfy furniture and clean showrooms. On time, fast, reliable and knowledgeable of equipment and furniture - the placement of furniture they make sure you are satisfied before leaving you. Great variety of furniture and quality is outstanding and strong and tough... get thru my 3 year jumping on the furniture even when asked not to take a licking and keeps standing. Strong reliability, nice colors and fabrics, comfy all around, the best furniture I have owned out of others. Yes I would recommend it.
Amy P.
Montclair, NJ
Where do I start? West Elm is simply the coolest furniture store out there today, at an accessible price point and widely available. Their furniture is quality made, tends towards the mid-century, and they have a great mix of furniture and small decorating items in store (and online) which makes for a great, complete shopping experience. Your home will look great if you shop here.
Jenna C.
Beacon, NY
Does West Elm offer a lot of discounts/coupons?
Lindsay A.
Finleyville, PA
Decorator Expert Level 3
What is your favorite product
Sru A.
Ashburn, VA
Is this store qorth the money?
Cheliz G.
Kissimmee, FL
Can you order things here?! :D
May K.
San Rafael, CA
I love the West Elm line of mid century modern furniture. They are beautiful and fits the style of my hoem perfectly without killing the budget. I have some original mid century modern pieces that I spent a fortune on and these are comparable, not to mention that even my originals are not solid wood either, so this is a great choice if you are going in that direction with home decor.