Warner Brothers Outsiders, The - The Complete Novel Dvd from Warner Bros. uploaded by Jeniffer a.Warner Brothers Outsiders, The - The Complete Novel Dvd from Warner Bros. uploaded by Nida U.

BY WARNER BROTHERS #40 in Movies

Set in 1966; Produced and released in 1983.Francis Ford Coppola's stylized teen melodrama is based on the popular novel by S.E. Hinton. In 1960s Tulsa, the "right" and "wrong" sides of the tracks are represented by rival gangs, the upscale Socs and the underprivileged Greasers. Darrel Curtis (Patrick Swayze) is doing his best to raise his two younger brothers, Sodapop (Rob Lowe in his first film role) and Ponyboy (C. Thomas Howell). Sensitive Ponyboy is a budding writer in love with Cherry (Diane Lane), the unobtainable beauty from the enemy gang. When Ponyboy's buddy, troubled Johnny Cade (Ralph Macchio), kills one of the Socs in self-defense, their friend Dallas (Matt Dillon) helps the two youths hide out in an abandoned country church. There they live as exiles from a society that doesn't want them. But not all is lost, when Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dallas save some children caught in a fire they become unlikely heroes. The young cast is the jewel of this sensitive, moving film. Tom Cruise and Emilio Estevez play Greasers, and pop singer Leif Garrett plays rich-kid Bob. Dillon also starred that year in another S. E.Hinton adaptation directed by Coppola-the fascinating and extremely entertaining RUMBLE FISH. see more...

Shaunice L.
I really enjoyed the book and movie. Sofa pop was so attractive and I liked his personality, they should have had more about him in the book and movie. The family love in this story is amazing and so heartwarming.
Emily L.
Pittsburgh, PA
I watched this movie for the first time when I was in 7th grade after we read the book for a class, I really enjoyed it and it is very true to the book. Definitely a classic.
Jenny L.
Greatest classic of all time. It has many similarities to the book but the characters truly captured what the idea of the movie. Always remember, "stay gold, ponyboy."
Ashley C.
JUDSONIA, AR
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is a great movie. Sad but great. Obviously not as good as the book but they followed the storyline nicely. I liked how they gave the author a part in the movie as a nurse.
Deborah P.
Summerville, SC
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
The Outsiders is my favorite book, so I'm so happy that, when they made it into a movie, they stuck with the book. I also love seeing so many current day stars when they were still teens and young adults. Even with it being as close to the book as possible, I still suggest reading the book as well. It's a quick read, and brings that much more life to the movie.
Rebecca D.
Cedarville , NJ
Had to read and watch this when I was in middle school. I have to say, it was the most interesting thing I have ever had to read. I think it was one of the only books that everyone in my class actually read. Even my best friend, who never reads, read the whole thing and has read it multiple times.
Nancy B.
Lincolnton, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I loved this book , it was one of my favorites when I was a teen, then when the movie came out, the actors in this movie were awesome ! I actually bought copies for each of my adult kids, they all loved Ponyboy Curtis. Its really a great film to watch.
Jenise G.
Ocala, FL
Anything Coppola is worth a watch but The Outsiders has been a long time Fav. Of mine its a deep but really good movie i had it on VHS and then got a copy on DVD i love to watch a good movie a couple times of year and this one goes well with my BRAT PACK COLLECTION ... 5 solid stars i think i might pull it out and take a little time to watch it today...
Kelsey W.
Zebulon, NC
Such a great story! "Stay Gold Ponyboy"
There are some very notable actors in this movie, it also has a really good story and moral that I would recommend to teens and older (I had to read this book and watch the movie in Junior high)
andrenna c.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
At the top of my list for favorite movie. Just showed this to my friend and son. "Stay golden pony boy!" She had no idea where it came from. The actors did a job on making the characters their own. I have yet to read the book.
Denise F.
Rhinelander
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Does anyone else think the book is a lot better then the movie
Antumn M.
Nesbit, MS
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Who else watched this in school?
Tammy F.
Williamsburg, IA
An I the only one who cries watching this movie?
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
Who stars in this?
Jessica R.
London Ontario
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Were or are you a fan of the outsiders?