BY VIRGIN MOBILE #4 in Wireless Service Providers

Virgin Mobile
  • "I contacted customer service and after talking for over 2 hours, they told me that there was nothing that they could do, it was on my end." in 58 reviews
  • "It was a great service for my first cell phone, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has the credit to get a "real" cell phone plan." in 19 reviews
  • "I am not much of a talker on the phone so the 300 minutes, unlimited internet, unlimited texting for $35 is a perfect plan for me." in 14 reviews
  • "When they changed their price to $35/month they also made it so you couldnt get a new phone or you would have to pay the new price." in 12 reviews
  • "I've been with Virgin mobile for about 3+ years now and love the plan for the price ( I get 300 minutes, unlimited text and data for 25 bucks)." in 11 reviews
Yasmin A.
One of the worst phone carriers I've ever had... it's an absolute joke. I was looking for a cheap phone plan because I don't use my phone for minutes (google hangouts talk feature is amazing!) and all I really needed was a plan that offered a lot of data + texting. After activating the plan on my iPhone, my data wouldn't work at all. I called customer service and all they could tell me to do was factory reset my phone... over and over again. They even somehow "reset" it from their end. This took over an hour and my data still wasn't working. They recommended I call back the next day forwarded my issue to some sort of "higher" technical support group. Still no luck. Finally, I somehow ended up being forwarded to Spring technicians (since they use their lines) and they STILL couldn't get my data to work. This whole process took over a week and many, many hours of talking to customer service/being placed on hold. I finally told them I was canceling my plan and demanded a refund since I wasn't even able to use my phone at all. This was another horrible issue because they didn't want to refund my money... so I eventually had to handle it with my bank and they refunded me no problem. I would never recommend this phone company to anyone... And I later found out it wasn't anything wrong with my iPhone like they suggested, because I now use it on T-mobile and it works perfectly fine!
Sarah S.
Cedar Rapids, IA
I switched from Verizon after it was pretty evident that I needed data, but didn't want the 80 dollars a month for it. Little shopping around, some homework done, we marched into bestbuy and bought a virgin mobile phone. They run off the sprint towers and as such, haven't had an issue. I have the HTC One V and I haven't had a dropped call, the only time I ran into 3G issues was when I was in a very packed area with about 20K other people and then it was just a little sluggish. For 35 a month I got unlimited texting, picture messaging, data and 300 minutes. I rarely use the minutes frankly and when I spent 45 minutes with customer service dealing with the extra phone they never canceled, they added the minutes and a free month back to me. All in all, despite what the Verizon CS said when I left them for Virgin, I haven't regretted. I don't use beyond the 2g of data after which they throttle you, and it's nice to be able to keep in contact beyond my home. Also, if you break the phone, it's ridiculous easy to sync the new phone to your existing number. 5 minute easy. However, yes, the phones are not cheap. But then, they're not subsidizing the cost of the phone into your monthly plan. So in the end, you are paying less that what you paid with big corp phone, just you're paying a huge chunk up front.
Angel M.
Palatine, IL
People are always asking me what cell phone company I use. They are often surprised to hear that I use Virgin Mobile, and they suggest that I switch.
But I've been using Virgin Mobile for at least the past three years, and I am perfectly happy with them. Here's why.

1. The price. I pay about $35 per month for my service. For that, I get 300 Anytime Minutes per month. That may not seem like a lot to some people, but I don't actually talk on the phone that much. I also get UNLIMITED texting and data, which are the services I do use most often. So for me, this is an awesome deal.

2. The phones. You don't need an expensive cell phone contract to get a smartphone! Virgin Mobile is compatible with many Androids and iPhones. I have a Kyocera Rise, and I love it! My plan is no-contract so I don't get a free phone every few years, but it is worth it since I am saving so much on my monthly bill. Plus, if you go to their website, you can get web-exclusive deals on a lot of the phones! I paid about $60 for mine.

3. The service. I get great service where I live. I rarely drop calls. I can't even remember the last time I dropped a call, whereas with my old service provider I dropped calls left and right!

So if you're on a budget, or you want to avoid a contract, I would definitely recommend Virgin Mobile.
Shirley M.
We were provided with a $35 Top-Up card to activate and customize our phone whichever way we chose. I know that my niece Loves to talk, but prefers to text more and that she's always watching these silly youtube videos so here's what I went with:
250 Talk Minutes for $3.00
750 Texts for $6.50
1GB of Data for $18.50
Monthly Line Fee of $6.98
Leaving our total for the month at $34.98 with 2 cents to carry over into the next month. Let's say in the middle of the month we realize that she needs more Texts and Talk as oppose to Data, then we go right into our customizing center on the device and switch it up. You'll see at the top whether or not you're going over the balance available.

With our current Family plan we have Unlimited everything, but no one uses their data or texts more than me. Even If we tried to ask for a plan with fewer talk, text, and data it STILL ends up costing over $200 a month for 3 lines. I mean would YOU pay that amount when you see there is a cheaper alternative?
Gaye T.
Grand Ledge, MI
Rather than just touching on Virgin just being very affordable , lets get real... More TEENAGERS have Virgin Mobile than anyone else. Yes , the $35/month is great when you're old . That plan offers 300 minutes which indeed means 3 flat hours of talking PER MONTH. They also offer $45 and $55 plans which are 12 hours of talking a month and unlimited. I myself have the unlimited because... I like to talk more than 3 or 12 hours, to each its own. I have a friend that has T-Mobile and the only 2 things that i can see wrong with Virgin is that they don't get all the new phones or the best ones like T-Mobile. Right now in the smartphone world (because thats the world we live in now), Virgin Mobile has the EVO One V , Galaxy Ring , Galaxy Victory LTE , Galaxy Reverb and the Galaxy S II 4G TITANIUM... Basically phones that aren't very popular and they obviously have a crush on Galaxy. They also offer the iPhone 4 and just got the iPhone 5. Yippie ! I have the EVO 3D. So enough geek talk , lets cut to the chase. Virgin has a 2 hour limit on talking. Asking them PERSONALLY ,They told me for security reasons they drop the call after 2 hours and some change. Overall , Virgin might be the best prepaid phone service in terms of price.
Kim A.
Philadelphia, PA
Techie Expert Level 1
This is the worst! I almost wanted to throw my phone at the wall out of anger as a result of this phone company's service. The texts wouldn't go out sometimes. In a world of technology, who could deal with that? I left them several years back. They probably haven't changed.
Brooke L.
Big Rapids, MI
Virgin Mobile is the worst phone carrier I have EVER had. I used to pay for the unlimited plan all the time. I got a new phone and had only had it a couple of months. Half way through the third month that I had already paid for, my service started acting up. I couldn't call, text, or receive either. The only thing I could use was wifi. I contacted customer service and after talking for over 2 hours, they told me that there was nothing that they could do, it was on my end. I know that's not the case.

Now, they've sent us a thing for a free month of service to try and get my business back. I was kind of excited as I've been without my phone for months now. Well, I was able to claim the month of service...but my phone still won't call or text. Trying to get it sorted out now, and if it doesn't function by tomorrow, I'll never use this service again. I wouldn't recommend Virgin Mobile to anyone.
Cara P.
NEWTOWN, PA
I have a love-hate-hate-hate relationship with Virgin Mobile USA. I love that I only pay about $27.50 a month for my plan of unlimited text, unlimited internet (slows down at 2.5gb), and 300 minutes (grandfathered in from old pricing). It's a good plan for someone who mostly texts and uses the internet. But I hate everything else. I hate that I can barely get 3G in areas where I would expect it. I hate that I have to wander around sometimes just to get a bar or two on your phone. I hate that any time I have had to deal with your customer service representatives, it has only lead to another problem. I've had VM for years now and it is getting to the point where I'm willing to pay the extra $50 to get a plan with a carrier that does not have so many issues, even if it means signing a contract.
Amanda B.
I have been using Virgin Mobile for almost two years now and love it. We made the switch to no-contract carriers about three years ago but I went to Virgin when I decided I wanted an iPhone. I love that the price is what it is - there are no hidden fees or surprises. We signed up for the unlimited talk text & web for smart phones and only pay $50/month + tax (it's technically $55 but we get a discount since we signed up for monthly auto-pay). Upfront it is kind of scary to have to outright buy your phone when contract carriers will "give" you a "free" phone. But the catch is you usually have to sign a 2 year contract. Paying full price for a phone and getting cheaper and better service outweighs any "free" phone you get from the contract carriers. The only complaint I have is that Virgin does use the Sprint towers so coverage is sometimes spotty outside of bigger cities. Which means, I'm sometimes sans service on road trips until we get to a city. I do wish they'd get better coverage.
Andrea O.
Silver Springs, FL
My fiancé and I ordered one of those WiFi usb adapters from Virgin Mobile a couple of months back. They had a deal going on at the time that you get free $20 airtime. They took 2 days, which was not a weekend or holiday, to actually ship our product. We get it in the mail and we are ecstatic because we live in a recreation area in the Ocala National Forest - so we don't get any internets out here. I digress... We go to activate the thing and we didn't get our free air time because oh.. What's this? The program ended the previous day.

We called customer service who then told us it was shipped late because of a holiday. We asked what holiday and get told "Halloween". In what country anywhere on earth is Halloween considered a holiday where places shut down to observe it? Rediculous. We were put on hold for over half an hour trying to get to a supervisor only to be told there wasn't one available.

Needless to say, Virgin Mobile will never get another dime from either of us.
Cynthia C.
What phone do you currently have?
Alisia W.
Lubbock, TX
Do you wish they would carry better phones?
Carrine W.
Columbus , OH
Which one of their plana is actually worth the price?
Tuss S.
Riverside, CA
Do you like there customer service? What do you like about the customer service if any?
helen l.
Bronx, NY
How good is the coverage & how well does Virgin work with the iPhones?