BY URBAN DECAY #21 in Face Primer

Ready for your most perfected-looking skin? Instantly blur flaws and smooth out your skin with Optical Illusion Complexion Primer. This primer reduces fine lines and makes pores seem to vanish—for a gorgeous, porcelain-like texture. Makeup not only goes on better, but also lasts longer.

This velvety soft, lightweight primer has a slight pink tint to illuminate skin pre-makeup, but dries down to a translucent, matte finish. Like the name suggests, Optical Illusion creates an optical veil of scattered light, giving skin a soft-focus effect. The result? A beautiful, airbrushed finish (no Photoshop skills necessary)! Our cushy formula provides just enough glide to fill in lines for a smoothed-out complexion, and dries down to the perfect powdery finish.

In a clinical study of Optical Illusion Complexion Primer, immediately after use:*

• 90% of participants had a reduction in pore visibility.
  • 90% had smoother-looking skin.
  • 93% had more even-toned skin.
  • 81% had a visible reduction in fine lines and blemishes.

This cushiony formula contains optical blurring pigments for beautifully perfected skin. A luxurious blend of argan, rosehip and meadowfoam seed oils provides moisturizing and antioxidant benefits while vitamin E conditions.

Optical Illusion Complexion Primer comes in a luxurious clear bottle with a metallized gunmetal cap and base. We even equipped the bottle with an airless pump—so it’s easy to get out every last bit of product.

Urban Decay is 100% cruelty-free.

• Cyclopentasiloxane

• I have combination skin, usually quite oily in my T zone, I've he...5 Answers
  • Is this product worth the money?3 Answers
  • Is this a hydrating primer3 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "must be used with a brush! if you apply this anything other then a flat liquid foundation brush you will not like this! at first use i hated it until a girl i work with said to try it this way & not its the only way i’ll use it. great for oily skin too - my skin was left smooth & shine free! [product:urban-decay-optical-illusion-complexion-primer]" in 285 reviews
  • "light wait great quality worth the money perfect for everyday wear good for either oily or dry skin highly recommend a good amount of product but has a slight smell but thankfully is long lasting would defiantly repurchase " in 59 reviews
  • "light wait great quality worth the money perfect for everyday wear good for either oily or dry skin highly recommend a good amount of product but has a slight smell but thankfully is long lasting would defiantly repurchase " in 57 reviews
Chloe L.
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL more...
I want to love this primer. I want to love it so badly. It just isn't for my skin. I think as a lot of you know, I have VERY oily skin. I have oil on my cheeks and jawline - not just my t-zone. I was very excited to try this when I was reading the reviews for it on Sephora. Everyone loved the primer out of the travel duo (which I bought since I was wanting to try before I bought a full-size). I'm very glad that I didn't spend $34.00 USD on a full size. I had very high expectations in this primer.

It's advertised as a "blurring, complexion enhancing primer". I hate to say it, but even with a clean, freshly washed face, applying this primer does NOT help my complexion or blur my face. I have very large pores on my nose and right under my eyes; sebaceous filaments are what they really are. They are huge and dark and just look like flat out blackheads. I was hoping that this primer would help conceal that, since I do consider that an insecurity of mine. Nope. Didn't help a lick. Even after my foundation, I could not notice any difference that the primer made.

Something I wish I would have realized too, before making this small investment, is that it's moisturizing. The last thing my already oily and super hydrated face needs is MOISTURE. Yes, the primer dries down matte, but it does not keep any of my oil at bay - which is what I need in a primer! My fault though, I should have looked closer at the description. Typically, with another oil-reducing primer, my face stays oil free most of the day, but with Optical Illusion, I'm oily before lunchtime.

Here are some positives about it: a little goes a long way. Just a little, less than a pea size amount should work for your whole face. Don't be like me and apply way more than you need and the foundation won't stick to the primer because there is too much. The smell is pleasant. It is not overwhelming and it goes away once it's dried. The packaging is nice. I do like how it is tall and slender. I love how you can see how much product you have. I love that it's a little pump top, and I think the color scheme and overall packaging of it is appealing to the eye. It's moisturizing. I know I said I hated it, but you know how good that is for the dry/normal skin girls? That's fantastic. It's just not for my oily skin.

Overall: if you have oily and already hydrated skin, I would stay away from it. If you have dry or normal skin, maybe give it a shot. But like I said too, regardless of how oily your face gets, I felt like it didn't do any blurring at all. I know this is a holy grail to some people, but for me, it's not.
Megan M.
Oak Ridge
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
This is the best primer, hands down, for my fair, normal skin face. First of all, I'd like to applaud urban decay for packaging this in a pump style bottle that is designed in a way that allows all the primer to be used in the bottle. There is no excessive product left that you can't get out when the bottle is empty and I appreciate the no waste design. The primer is a pink tinged color and a dime sized amount is plenty. If you use more than that it's probably being wasted. It dries to an even blurred style that gives you a canvas to apply your makeup that is free of flaws and uneven skin tones. I let it set for about 5 mins before applying my foundation and it holds on to my foundation all day so when I am done with my 12 hour day, my foundation still looks beautiful. This is the primer I swear by. At 34 dollars and the smallest amount needed daily, the bottle lasts for a long time and the beautiful blur it gives your face will make it worth the money. I went through many primers to find one that lasted thru my busy day and this is the only one that stands through it all. I go to urban decay for all my primer needs
Jenny D.
Harrison Twp, MI
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
I have tried alot of primers for my combination, uneven skin tone. But Urban Decay hit it out of the park with this pore perfecting primer. I apply a very thin coat with my fingertips; not only does it moisturize, it helps create the perfect canvas for my make up routine. It blurs your pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and any imperfections. I've always had a difficult time trying to achieve that smooth looking porcelain skin, even with the best of concealers and foundation. But UD's complexion primer is a game changer. It is exactly what I was missing from my routine. Very highly recommended! This ultra matte gem, is great for all skin types including oily or combination skin. I love that it's not over priced, and the how long the bottle lasts.
Jennei H.
Johnson City, TN
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
Went to Ulta this weekend because I ran out of my fav primer (Smashbox Photo Finish)
But I was feeling froggy and wanted to try something new,saw the Urban Decay and thought why not?
I really didn't think anything could come close to the smashbox but I was really shocked at how well this works for me....
I've used it everyday this week and honestly I get longer wear out of my make up and at the end of a 10 hr shift my face pretty much looks like it did when I first put it on
Only place I notice it kinda looks like it's breaking down is around my nose
And it's a bit thick when you go to put it on but it just melts into the skin
Overall I'm super happy I made the purchase
Olivia P.
Brooklyn, NY
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
I've tried so many primers and none of them felt like they did anything.  I heard about this and doubtfully bought it.  I'm shocked.  It's a beautiful, soft formula that evens out my skin tone and makes it silky smooth.

I woke up not having a great skin day today and worried about using a matte foundation.  After using this my skin was perfect, the foundation went on beautifully.  I'm not getting oily, my makeup is staying put.  This is my new holy grail.
Brandi R.
Macclenny, FL
I had high hopes for this primer because I love the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion but unfortunately it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. It's a decent primer, don't get me wrong. It's just not life-changing. I didn't notice much difference in the appearance of my pores or imperfections when I was using this and it didn't really help my makeup last any longer than other primers. If you already have pretty great skin this might make you look amazing but it's just not for me.
Julia E.
Middletown, OH
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
I love this primer on myself, but I don’t think it’s for everyone. It smooths out the skin a little (better than Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Face Primer but not as well as Dr. Brandt pores no more® pore refiner primer) and gives a blurred effect to the skin. I wear it alone or under makeup. The only thing to keep in mind is that it can leave a slight white cast on deeper skin tones, but it won’t be seen under foundation.
Shasha S.
I loveeee this product. Its long lasting and finshing is amazing.I love this top most brand.This  is one of my favorites brands and with reasonable price.I bought this from walmart store and it is also available in other stores like Fred Meyer,target,walgreens many.......It gives soft texture on skin. I would definitely recommend this product and brand too.Its better to search for offers before buying.Have different shades of color for different skin tones.I like to visit above stores only to buy this and find offers.It gives fantastic look for party and for simple makeup also.I am kinda shopholic ;) so love to buy and try different products ,brands and shades.It would be too nice if there are some small samples to try before we buy.Shade is just awesome on my skin and hope for others too.It has smooth  texture.I would definitely buy More n more n more...I love trying new products and samples tooooooo.Its bestiest best product I have ever used...
Jessica G.
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
I received this as a sample in one of my Sephora play box and I'm so glad I did. I have combination skin so it is hard to find something to put onto my face that won't dry it or make it oily all the while trying to balance my skin tone out. This perfectly smooths my face and balances the redness and uneven texture without making my skin oily. This combined with my makeup forever primer are my holy grail staples for smooth skin.
Jennifer C.
Lady Lake, FL
Review for: Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL more...
The Urban Decay Optical Illusion Primer is one of the best primers I have ever used! It is a little thicker than the primers I have used in the past but does an amazing job hiding imperfections and allows my foundation to go on smooth and last longer! It is perfect for my dry skin because I don't have to worry about my dry skin looking flaky or patchy once I apply foundation ! Well worth the money for a little goes a long way!
Deanna K.
Bellmawr, NJ
Has this primer made anyone break out? I have pretty sensitive skin and my face has been doing well lately. I usually use the benefit primer but I recently tried this and my face broke out. Not sure if it's from this? I'm so bummed.
Nicole G.
Santa Fe, NM
Can you girls tell me how good this primer is in terms of pore filling ? I want to buy it so bad but my main problem is large pores so I way to make sure it will be good for that
Chelsey T.
Wichita Falls, TX
Is this good for dry skin?
Caitlin S.
Ayr, Ayrshire
I have combination skin, usually quite oily in my T zone, I've herd good things about this primer but I'm wondering if it's worth the hype?
ava a.
Does this have any shimmer in it?