BY URBAN DECAY #16 in Face Primer

Ready for your most perfected-looking skin? Instantly blur flaws and smooth out your skin with Optical Illusion Complexion Primer. This primer reduces fine lines and makes pores seem to vanish—for a gorgeous, porcelain-like texture. Makeup not only goes on better, but also lasts longer.

This velvety soft, lightweight primer has a slight pink tint to illuminate skin pre-makeup, but dries down to a translucent, matte finish. Like the name suggests, Optical Illusion creates an optical veil of scattered light, giving skin a soft-focus effect. The result? A beautiful, airbrushed finish (no Photoshop skills necessary)! Our cushy formula provides just enough glide to fill in lines for a smoothed-out complexion, and dries down to the perfect powdery finish.

In a clinical study of Optical Illusion Complexion Primer, immediately after use:*

• 90% of participants had a reduction in pore visibility.
  • 90% had smoother-looking skin.
  • 93% had more even-toned skin.
  • 81% had a visible reduction in fine lines and blemishes.

This cushiony formula contains optical blurring pigments for beautifully perfected skin. A luxurious blend of argan, rosehip and meadowfoam seed oils provides moisturizing and antioxidant benefits while vitamin E conditions.

Optical Illusion Complexion Primer comes in a luxurious clear bottle with a metallized gunmetal cap and base. We even equipped the bottle with an airless pump—so it’s easy to get out every last bit of product.

Urban Decay is 100% cruelty-free.

• Cyclopentasiloxane

• Mica
  • CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide
  • CI 77491 / Iron Oxides

Buy on Sephora*
  • "must be used with a brush! if you apply this anything other then a flat liquid foundation brush you will not like this! at first use i hated it until a girl i work with said to try it this way & not its the only way i’ll use it. great for oily skin too - my skin was left smooth & shine free! [product:urban-decay-optical-illusion-complexion-primer]" in 285 reviews
  • "light wait great quality worth the money perfect for everyday wear good for either oily or dry skin highly recommend a good amount of product but has a slight smell but thankfully is long lasting would defiantly repurchase " in 57 reviews
Chloe L.
I want to love this primer. I want to love it so badly. It just isn't for my skin. I think as a lot of you know, I have VERY oily skin. I have oil on my cheeks and jawline - not just my t-zone. I was very excited to try this when I was reading the reviews for it on Sephora. Everyone loved the primer out of the travel duo (which I bought since I was wanting to try before I bought a full-size). I'm very glad that I didn't spend $34.00 USD on a full size. I had very high expectations in this primer.

It's advertised as a "blurring, complexion enhancing primer". I hate to say it, but even with a clean, freshly washed face, applying this primer does NOT help my complexion or blur my face. I have very large pores on my nose and right under my eyes; sebaceous filaments are what they really are. They are huge and dark and just look like flat out blackheads. I was hoping that this primer would help conceal that, since I do consider that an insecurity of mine. Nope. Didn't help a lick. Even after my foundation, I could not notice any difference that the primer made.

Something I wish I would have realized too, before making this small investment, is that it's moisturizing. The last thing my already oily and super hydrated face needs is MOISTURE. Yes, the primer dries down matte, but it does not keep any of my oil at bay - which is what I need in a primer! My fault though, I should have looked closer at the description. Typically, with another oil-reducing primer, my face stays oil free most of the day, but with Optical Illusion, I'm oily before lunchtime.

Here are some positives about it: a little goes a long way. Just a little, less than a pea size amount should work for your whole face. Don't be like me and apply way more than you need and the foundation won't stick to the primer because there is too much. The smell is pleasant. It is not overwhelming and it goes away once it's dried. The packaging is nice. I do like how it is tall and slender. I love how you can see how much product you have. I love that it's a little pump top, and I think the color scheme and overall packaging of it is appealing to the eye. It's moisturizing. I know I said I hated it, but you know how good that is for the dry/normal skin girls? That's fantastic. It's just not for my oily skin.

Overall: if you have oily and already hydrated skin, I would stay away from it. If you have dry or normal skin, maybe give it a shot. But like I said too, regardless of how oily your face gets, I felt like it didn't do any blurring at all. I know this is a holy grail to some people, but for me, it's not.
Callie G.
So I was super excited to try this primer out because I tested it on the back of my hand in store and loved how blurred my skin looked. I ended up buying the travel size to try out (side note - travel size in this product is actually a better value than the full size. Two of the travel size equal the full size but for $4 less, in case anyone loves this product and didn’t know!). Luckily I didn’t use it on my face because the next morning when I woke up, I had a horrible red, bumpy, and itchy rash all over the back of my hand where I had tested it out. I had also swatched some other things on my hand, so I decided to test it out on my arm and other hand to make sure that’s what it was before I used it on my face. Sure enough by the next day I had the crazy itchy and bumpy rash all over my other hand and arm, and the rashes just got worse with time over the next two days. It took over a week for all of the rash to finally subside. I’ve never had a reaction like this to anything before. So just a warning to anyone that may even the slightest sensitive skin, test this out before applying it to your face! I am attaching a picture of part of the rash.
Megan M.
Oak Ridge
This is the best primer, hands down, for my fair, normal skin face. First of all, I'd like to applaud urban decay for packaging this in a pump style bottle that is designed in a way that allows all the primer to be used in the bottle. There is no excessive product left that you can't get out when the bottle is empty and I appreciate the no waste design. The primer is a pink tinged color and a dime sized amount is plenty. If you use more than that it's probably being wasted. It dries to an even blurred style that gives you a canvas to apply your makeup that is free of flaws and uneven skin tones. I let it set for about 5 mins before applying my foundation and it holds on to my foundation all day so when I am done with my 12 hour day, my foundation still looks beautiful. This is the primer I swear by. At 34 dollars and the smallest amount needed daily, the bottle lasts for a long time and the beautiful blur it gives your face will make it worth the money. I went through many primers to find one that lasted thru my busy day and this is the only one that stands through it all. I go to urban decay for all my primer needs
Chris T.
This is a thick primer and a little is required otherwise it starts to pill on the skin.  I personally like the color and it does not have a smell.  It is also good for my sensitive skin, but I am conflicted by this primer.
I really want to love this primer, but It is does not have consistent behavior.  I use the same moisturizer everyday and then apply this primer.  Somedays, it looks great under my foundation and pores are blurred and other days not so much.  At first I thought it was the application.  For me using my fingers and pressing it into my cheeks where I am enlarged pores, does not work for me.  There is no difference in the performance.  Using a wet sponge does a better job and my pores appear smaller but by the end of the day, my pores look huge again.  I did find the best application is a brush.  The brush for me is the best application and within a minute of application, my pores are very blurred.  Foundation goes on top beautifully.
Is this my holy grail primer.  For now, it might be, but I am still on the hunt for a better primer.

After 3 days of consistent use my face is breaking out where I applied this primer.
Jenny D.
Harrison Twp, MI
I have tried alot of primers for my combination, uneven skin tone. But Urban Decay hit it out of the park with this pore perfecting primer. I apply a very thin coat with my fingertips; not only does it moisturize, it helps create the perfect canvas for my make up routine. It blurs your pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and any imperfections. I've always had a difficult time trying to achieve that smooth looking porcelain skin, even with the best of concealers and foundation. But UD's complexion primer is a game changer. It is exactly what I was missing from my routine. Very highly recommended! This ultra matte gem, is great for all skin types including oily or combination skin. I love that it's not over priced, and the how long the bottle lasts.
Maya S.
I received a sample of this primer from Urban Decay and I really like it. It really smooths out your face to hide your pores, and has sort of a chalky texture. I use it on and around my nose because I have a lot of blackheads there, and they are really well-concealed by this stuff. It's also super easy to blend (I just use my hands to massage it into my face). Personally, I don’t know if I’d buy the full-size product because I’d rather invest in a good foundation or powder, but this is a really good product if you want to minimize your pores.
Cathy L.
Riverside
This primer is so lightweight! I feel like most pore-reducing primers feel too thick, but the formula of this one is so silky and leaves my skin feeling soft. It doesn't clog my pores or leave me breaking out, which is the most important thing to me with any primer. I bought the 0.5 oz one and have been using it for a couple months already since a little product goes a long way. I prefer dotting it on my face and buffing it in with a brush then going over it with my hands to get into smaller creases. I tend to apply another layer around the areas where I have larger pores like the sides of my nose and chin.
Bianca M.
Clearwater, FL
So i recently bought this and so far i have to say i’m really loving it! I really do love the way it makes my skin feel ( super silky and smooth) my make up seems to be going on so nicely and so evenly and i’ve gotten compliments on my skin. Mind you i already have clear skin except for the once in awhile pimples, but it’s rare i get them. I have oily skin in the summer from sweating and constantly being outside (live in FL) so far it’s been holding up with using a setting powder and than spraying my face with a setting spray after i’m done everything. This weekend will be the big make or break for i’m going on a boat party and hoping it can withstand an all day event outside. It’s withheld a sunday funday outside for a few drinks and even with the minor sweating on my face my make up did really good staying on my face! I have to say even after washing my face my face seems to be a lot smoother as well!
Arlana S.
Mansfield, OH
Use a flat foundation brush to apply, that's how the make up artist that works at Urban Decay told me to apply and it worked amazingly on my pores. I have dry skin tho, so it tends to separate on my nose. I use a little bit and I mix it with my green to reduce my redness, another trick the makeup artist at Urban Decay showed me. So glad I repurchased this.
If ur really dry, this primer is not for u.
Brandi R.
Macclenny, FL
I had high hopes for this primer because I love the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion but unfortunately it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. It's a decent primer, don't get me wrong. It's just not life-changing. I didn't notice much difference in the appearance of my pores or imperfections when I was using this and it didn't really help my makeup last any longer than other primers. If you already have pretty great skin this might make you look amazing but it's just not for me.
Deanna K.
Bellmawr, NJ
Has this primer made anyone break out? I have pretty sensitive skin and my face has been doing well lately. I usually use the benefit primer but I recently tried this and my face broke out. Not sure if it's from this? I'm so bummed.
Nicole G.
Santa Fe, NM
Can you girls tell me how good this primer is in terms of pore filling ? I want to buy it so bad but my main problem is large pores so I way to make sure it will be good for that
Chelsey T.
Wichita Falls, TX
Is this good for dry skin?
Caitlin S.
Ayr, Ayrshire
I have combination skin, usually quite oily in my T zone, I've herd good things about this primer but I'm wondering if it's worth the hype?
ava a.
Does this have any shimmer in it?