Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette

Part of the UD Jean-Michel Basquiat collection, the Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette features eight NEW neutral shades inspired by the work of this groundbreaking artist.

We’ve been fans of Basquiat’s art since before the early days of UD; so when his estate approached us about a collaboration based on his artwork, we couldn’t wait to start creating. From the colors and shade names to the packaging, EVERYTHING in this collection evolved from Basquiat’s art. Like Urban Decay, Basquiat was an outsider who challenged the status quo and used color in nontraditional ways. From his informal graffiti work and the way he mixed mediums and colors to the way he spoke out against social injustice, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect fit for our brand.

The Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette contains eight can’t-live-without neutrals based on Basquiat’s paintings. Every shade features our proprietary Pigment Infusion System™—for rich, velvety, blendable color that lasts. Plus, we equipped the palette with a double-ended brush.

Housed in a mini reproduction of Basquiat’s artwork, Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette is wrapped all the way around with canvas, so the art printed on top comes to life. There’s even a small cutout on the back for hanging so you can display the palette on your wall and create your own mini Basquiat gallery.

About the artist: Jean-Michel Basquiat began drawing and painting at the age of four and never stopped. By the time he was in his teens, his graffiti was a fixture around lower Manhattan. After leaving home at 17, he began selling hand-painted postcards and T-shirts. At 20, he landed his first public exhibition and quickly rose to fame on the ’80s art scene in NYC. His iconic work is still exhibited all over the world.

Shades included:

• Enigma (Neutral Pale Nude Matte)
  • Levitation (Warm Pale Nude Matte)
  • Not For Sale (Medium Sienna Matte)
  • Suckerpunch (Warm Brown Shimmer)
  • Influence (Brown Satin W/Gold Shimmer)
  • Bk (Gray Matte-satin)
  • Pseudonym (Deep Navy Matte)
  • Crown (Very Metallic Gold)

Bk(Brooklyn)/Enigma/Levitation/Not For Sale/Suckerpunch Ingredients:

Talc, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Aqua / Water, Palmitic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin.

All Shades May Contain:

CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

Crown/Influence Ingredients:

Talc, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alumina, Aqua / Water, Polyurethane-11, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid.

All Shades May Contain:

Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, Ci 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ci 75470 / Carmine, Ci 77007 / Ultramarines, Ci 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

G953799 / D181868/3 Pseudonym Ingredients:

Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Diisostearyl Malate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Silica, Polyethylene.

May Contain:

CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, Mica, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide

How much is it?
Is there an item that's discontinued that you wish would come back? I missed out on the Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection gold palette.
I want this in my VoxBox
Start your review of Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette!
Converse, TX
I like this palette, but I believe it's not very much you can do with it. I love the packaging and love the idea that UD collaborated with a Black artist. I will give it 4 stars, I don't regret buying it.
I love this palette! It's perfect for the fall! The colors are beautiful and pigmented! Has a little fallout but nothing a sweep with a fluffy brush won't fix. Colors are vibrant throughout the whole day! Love!
Sacramento, CA
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Nicole W.
Really loved the blendability of the Gold Griot palette from the Basquiat Collection. It is a great variety of every day colors and can be made into a night look. Works on all face tones. The only shade that is a little touch to work with is Pseudonym bc it tends be really pigmented but once you start to work it, it'll get patchy and fade out. I had to go over it several times to maintain the color I wanted and get it all even. I attempted with 3 different brushes, I will update post if opinion changes.
Rex, GA
This was an excellent palette the pigmentation was up to par. I loved all of the warm tones in this palette. The packaging was amazing because Jean Michel is one of my favorite artist.
Cincinnati, OH
First of all, this is a beauty palette on the outside and in. You can hang it as artwork which is a great plus. But the shadows are super creamy and blendable. They seem like they will last me a good while.
Aurora, CO
This is my all time favorite palette that I own so far. The colors are bold and perfect. My favorite is the orange/brown shade. It's my favorite for a warm smokey eye.
Center Moriches
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Samm; S.
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Samm; S.
Purchased at: Urban Decay CA
LOVE LOVE LOVE!! This palette is stunning and the packaging art is just an added bonus to the pigmentation and color story! So sad it was limited edition but a favorite in my collection!
Gainesville, FL
Since I already LOVE the URBAN DECAY brand, I just had to buy this collection when I saw it at Sephora (about $55). Its a full-sized, neutral color palette containing natural, beautiful colors that go on soft and semi-opaque. With the full range of neutral color options, there’s definitely something to match what you’re wearing (whatever that happens to be). Plus, the rich, emollient eye shadow powders leave your lids perfectly smooth without creasing or fading. I loved it so much that I bought one in BRIGHTS and one in NEUTRALS!
I recently purchased this palette from Sephora when it was on sale! The shades are gorgeous! I love using a metallic bronze base and then using not for sale on the outer corner and then crown on the inner corner! You can create so many different looks! The quality of the shadows is awesome and I don't experience a lot of fall out with the more glittery shades. I love the balance of matte, metallic, and glittery formulas in this palette! It contains a lot of unique neutral colors!
Lindfield , NSW
I LOVE this palette! These shadows are crazy pigmented, yet still blend out seamlessly. The shadows lasted all day. Honestly the colors in here are awesome. You can go neutral or smoky or edgy. I love palettes that give me lots of options. This wasn't terribly expensive for a limited edition palette. I was really excited for this collaboration and it did not disappoint.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Leamington, ON
3 years ago
I got the Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette and Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gallery Blush Palette palettes recently and was super excited to try them out but found they're really hard to blend! I'm torn on whether I should return them because they're gorgeous and I love the artwork, but I won't be getting much use out of them. What do you guys think, return or keep?
Emily N. • 3 years ago