Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette

Part of the UD Jean-Michel Basquiat collection, the Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette features eight NEW neutral shades inspired by the work of this groundbreaking artist.

We’ve been fans of Basquiat’s art since before the early days of UD; so when his estate approached us about a collaboration based on his artwork, we couldn’t wait to start creating. From the colors and shade names to the packaging, EVERYTHING in this collection evolved from Basquiat’s art. Like Urban Decay, Basquiat was an outsider who challenged the status quo and used color in nontraditional ways. From his informal graffiti work and the way he mixed mediums and colors to the way he spoke out against social injustice, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect fit for our brand.

The Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette contains eight can’t-live-without neutrals based on Basquiat’s paintings. Every shade features our proprietary Pigment Infusion System™—for rich, velvety, blendable color that lasts. Plus, we equipped the palette with a double-ended brush.

Housed in a mini reproduction of Basquiat’s artwork, Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette is wrapped all the way around with canvas, so the art printed on top comes to life. There’s even a small cutout on the back for hanging so you can display the palette on your wall and create your own mini Basquiat gallery.

About the artist: Jean-Michel Basquiat began drawing and painting at the age of four and never stopped. By the time he was in his teens, his graffiti was a fixture around lower Manhattan. After leaving home at 17, he began selling hand-painted postcards and T-shirts. At 20, he landed his first public exhibition and quickly rose to fame on the ’80s art scene in NYC. His iconic work is still exhibited all over the world.

Shades included:

• Enigma (Neutral Pale Nude Matte)
  • Levitation (Warm Pale Nude Matte)
  • Not For Sale (Medium Sienna Matte)
  • Suckerpunch (Warm Brown Shimmer)
  • Influence (Brown Satin W/Gold Shimmer)
  • Bk (Gray Matte-satin)
  • Pseudonym (Deep Navy Matte)
  • Crown (Very Metallic Gold)

Bk(Brooklyn)/Enigma/Levitation/Not For Sale/Suckerpunch Ingredients:

Talc, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Aqua / Water, Palmitic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin.

All Shades May Contain:

CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

Crown/Influence Ingredients:

Talc, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alumina, Aqua / Water, Polyurethane-11, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid.

All Shades May Contain:

Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, Ci 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ci 75470 / Carmine, Ci 77007 / Ultramarines, Ci 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

G953799 / D181868/3 Pseudonym Ingredients:

Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Diisostearyl Malate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Silica, Polyethylene.

May Contain:

CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, Mica, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide

How much is it?
Is there an item that's discontinued that you wish would come back? I missed out on the Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection gold palette.
I want this in my VoxBox
Start your review of Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette!
TALLAHASSEE, FL
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Jennifer W.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Not only are all of these shades highly pigmented and have great payoff -- it is literally a piece of art and can be hung when you are done with the palette. I usually stick to very cool tones but this palette complimented my skin very nicely. Influence and Crown are my two favorites!!
Middletown, RI
I have been a huge fan of Basquiat for a very long time, I have his crown tattooed on my body. I was thrilled when I heard that urban decay was coming out with a collection in his honor. This palette is a work of art. Literally and figuratively. It can be hung on the wall as well as used. This is a nice nude palette with a good mix of mattes as well as shimmers. This is one of my favorite pieces in my makeup collection. Not only do I recommend this to fans of his work, but to makeup lovers looking for a good neutral palette.
Snellville , GA
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Chelsea C.
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Chelsea C.
I really love this palette (actually I love them both) the colors are amazing and highly pigmented. They are very blendable and a little goes a long way. If your are an art lovers toy with love the art on the outside of the palette. It's simply divine. (Being a big fan of Basquiat and his work this was a mistake for my collection). Both palettes are great for simple and dramatic looks.
North Bergen, NJ
One of my favorite palettes. Inspired by one of my favorite artists. Urban Decay really hit a homerun with me on this collaboration. Such beautiful and edgy colors that are true to Basquiat's style. The names are also perfect. I bought the whole collection, but this palette is my favorite product out of all of them. Worth the buy! Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette
White Oak, WV
I love the Jean Michel Basquiat collection more than most of Urban Decay's other launches. This particular palette is also amazing. The shade range is awesome and really packs a punch. It is very pigmented. Also the packaging represents a painting, which is too cool.
Recently got this pallete and I fell I love with it. Even though there isn't a large amount of colors there are so many looks you can make from them. There is little to no fallout and they are super blendable. The light blue shade is an amazing transition color and my favorite eyeshadow at the moment. The packaging is absolutely amazing with the paining on the front. Would definetely recommend.
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Jane L.
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Jane L.
The formula is great. It has great pigmentation and blendability. I love the unique shades in this palette. It's definitely a palette worth collecting. But it's not a must have product. I got mine half price at a Ulta so I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
Colonial Bch, VA
This is such an inspirational collection. As a makeup and art collector, this is so perfect for me. The colors are a great variety and we'll selected. The colors blend beautifully and have great pigmentation, as usual for Urban Decay. The packaging on this whole collection is such a great remembrance for Basquiet. I'm simply obsessed and I'm so happy that I went for this collection!
Anderson, SC
My first love, Urban Decay! First palette that I have purchased in a good while from UD. I am very impressed with the strong pigmentation, the creamy formula and the blendability! The shade make for a good creative but not overwhelmingly wild look. The packaging is definitely unique with sturdy cardboard flip up palette and the design is unique on the palette frontside. A+ UD!
Bangor, ME
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Nicole C.
I love this eyeshadow pallete. The yellow is beautiful and the grey is exceptional. They go one the lid nicely. The colors a pigmented without alot of fallout. They blend together lovely. I use this eyeshadow pallete alot. I feel it is highly under rated and would recommend it.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Leamington, ON
3 years ago
I got the Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette and Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gallery Blush Palette palettes recently and was super excited to try them out but found they're really hard to blend! I'm torn on whether I should return them because they're gorgeous and I love the artwork, but I won't be getting much use out of them. What do you guys think, return or keep?
Emily N. • 3 years ago