Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette

Part of the UD Jean-Michel Basquiat collection, the Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette features eight NEW neutral shades inspired by the work of this groundbreaking artist.

We’ve been fans of Basquiat’s art since before the early days of UD; so when his estate approached us about a collaboration based on his artwork, we couldn’t wait to start creating. From the colors and shade names to the packaging, EVERYTHING in this collection evolved from Basquiat’s art. Like Urban Decay, Basquiat was an outsider who challenged the status quo and used color in nontraditional ways. From his informal graffiti work and the way he mixed mediums and colors to the way he spoke out against social injustice, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect fit for our brand.

The Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette contains eight can’t-live-without neutrals based on Basquiat’s paintings. Every shade features our proprietary Pigment Infusion System™—for rich, velvety, blendable color that lasts. Plus, we equipped the palette with a double-ended brush.

Housed in a mini reproduction of Basquiat’s artwork, Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette is wrapped all the way around with canvas, so the art printed on top comes to life. There’s even a small cutout on the back for hanging so you can display the palette on your wall and create your own mini Basquiat gallery.

About the artist: Jean-Michel Basquiat began drawing and painting at the age of four and never stopped. By the time he was in his teens, his graffiti was a fixture around lower Manhattan. After leaving home at 17, he began selling hand-painted postcards and T-shirts. At 20, he landed his first public exhibition and quickly rose to fame on the ’80s art scene in NYC. His iconic work is still exhibited all over the world.

Shades included:

• Enigma (Neutral Pale Nude Matte)
  • Levitation (Warm Pale Nude Matte)
  • Not For Sale (Medium Sienna Matte)
  • Suckerpunch (Warm Brown Shimmer)
  • Influence (Brown Satin W/Gold Shimmer)
  • Bk (Gray Matte-satin)
  • Pseudonym (Deep Navy Matte)
  • Crown (Very Metallic Gold)

Bk(Brooklyn)/Enigma/Levitation/Not For Sale/Suckerpunch Ingredients:

Talc, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Aqua / Water, Palmitic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin.

All Shades May Contain:

CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

Crown/Influence Ingredients:

Talc, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alumina, Aqua / Water, Polyurethane-11, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid.

All Shades May Contain:

Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, Ci 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ci 75470 / Carmine, Ci 77007 / Ultramarines, Ci 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

G953799 / D181868/3 Pseudonym Ingredients:

Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Diisostearyl Malate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Silica, Polyethylene.

May Contain:

CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, Mica, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide

How much is it?
Is there an item that's discontinued that you wish would come back? I missed out on the Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection gold palette.
I want this in my VoxBox
Start your review of Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette!
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Tawnie J.
This is a really visually stunning palette. I think some of the colors are a bit lacking. Mostly the shimmers take a bit to build but I find the mattes and the mattes with glitter in it work very well. The packaging is super stunning as well. This was a great collection.
Portland, ME
Purchased at: Sephora
This collab made me RUN to my computer. I am obsessed with Basquiat, and the packaging alone had me on the floor in awe. Beyond this, the colors are fabulous and the urban decay formula is wonderful.
Russell, KY
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Jessica J.
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette oh I miss this palette. I ended up giving this one to my mom. The pigment in this is nice, easy to blend. Packaging is super cute, I love that they are able to hang on wall as wall art/decoration. Very unique
I bought both of these basquiat palettes mostly for the packaging and to collect, the colors in this palette are more doable for an everyday look comapred to the other palette but both look amazing and the colors have nice pigment
Ville Platte, LA
This is such a beautiful collaboration.Barely any fallout and very well pigmented.Applying it is easy as can be and blending is even better.The shades are so beautiful as the dark blue is my favorite.
apple valley, CA
The colors in this palette are beautiful and perfect for a smoky eye or any fall look! I have been using it almost every day! The brush that comes with it is also amazing!
Pittsburgh, PA
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Tanisha L.
I love a good collaboration, but I REALLY love a collaboration that makes sense and represents the person working with the brand. Basquiat may have passed almost 30 years ago, but the palette truly pays homage to his work. Packaging: The Gold Griot palette features a famous Basquiat painting. There is a hanger on the back for when you are done with the palette. Shades: Warm neutral tones ranging from golds to shimmery browns and blue grays. Quality: Highly pigmented shadows, mild fallout, blendable Bonus: double sided brush included
Abilene , TX
Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette uploaded by Sarah W.
Nudes are not my favorite colors to work with, though I am growing more fond of them, but this pallet has some warmer tones to it that I really like. I was a little worried about how well the mattes would blend when I swatched them but they have all blended very well for me. The brush it comes with is great for blending them out and smudging,and you can't beat the art work, this was a must have for me!
Taftville, CT
I LOVE these. Usually I haven't liked UD's eyeshadow quality ever since the Naked Palettes came out, but I feel like the quality of these shadows are just like the ones UD used to have back in the day. They are mostly matte colors with I believe one shimmery-gold color. Most of the colors are brown-y nudes, a blue, a grey toned blue, and the gold. I think the colors compliment eachother well and I suggest this palette to anyone who likes natural looke. Each color is so pigmented and feel creamy and silky to touch
Vacaville, CA
When I saw that Urban Decay was doing a collab with one of my favorite artists, I was over the moon. I narrowed down to only buying one product because lord knows I can't afford the whole collection. I definitely had higher hopes on this palette. The eyeshadows are decent; they blend just fine and the color payoff is there however there is nothing extraordinary about it. I feel like I can only do a couple different looks with this palette and I end up only using one or two colors from the palette each time I grab for it. The black sparkly color is very chalky, not very dark whatsoever when you put it on the eyes and the sparkles don't translate on the lid. If I could go back I would never have bought this palette.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Leamington, ON
3 years ago
I got the Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette and Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gallery Blush Palette palettes recently and was super excited to try them out but found they're really hard to blend! I'm torn on whether I should return them because they're gorgeous and I love the artwork, but I won't be getting much use out of them. What do you guys think, return or keep?
Emily N. • 3 years ago