BY URBAN DECAY #49 in Makeup Palettes

Part of the UD Jean-Michel Basquiat collection, the Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette features eight NEW neutral shades inspired by the work of this groundbreaking artist.

We’ve been fans of Basquiat’s art since before the early days of UD; so when his estate approached us about a collaboration based on his artwork, we couldn’t wait to start creating. From the colors and shade names to the packaging, EVERYTHING in this collection evolved from Basquiat’s art. Like Urban Decay, Basquiat was an outsider who challenged the status quo and used color in nontraditional ways. From his informal graffiti work and the way he mixed mediums and colors to the way he spoke out against social injustice, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect fit for our brand.

The Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette contains eight can’t-live-without neutrals based on Basquiat’s paintings. Every shade features our proprietary Pigment Infusion System™—for rich, velvety, blendable color that lasts. Plus, we equipped the palette with a double-ended brush.

Housed in a mini reproduction of Basquiat’s artwork, Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette is wrapped all the way around with canvas, so the art printed on top comes to life. There’s even a small cutout on the back for hanging so you can display the palette on your wall and create your own mini Basquiat gallery.

About the artist: Jean-Michel Basquiat began drawing and painting at the age of four and never stopped. By the time he was in his teens, his graffiti was a fixture around lower Manhattan. After leaving home at 17, he began selling hand-painted postcards and T-shirts. At 20, he landed his first public exhibition and quickly rose to fame on the ’80s art scene in NYC. His iconic work is still exhibited all over the world.

Shades included:

• Enigma (Neutral Pale Nude Matte)
  • Levitation (Warm Pale Nude Matte)
  • Not For Sale (Medium Sienna Matte)
  • Suckerpunch (Warm Brown Shimmer)
  • Influence (Brown Satin W/Gold Shimmer)
  • Bk (Gray Matte-satin)
  • Pseudonym (Deep Navy Matte)
  • Crown (Very Metallic Gold)

Bk(Brooklyn)/Enigma/Levitation/Not For Sale/Suckerpunch Ingredients:

Talc, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Aqua / Water, Palmitic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin.

All Shades May Contain:

CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

Crown/Influence Ingredients:

Talc, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alumina, Aqua / Water, Polyurethane-11, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isobutylphenoxy Epoxy Resin, Polybutylene Terephthalate, Polylactic Acid.

All Shades May Contain:

Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, Ci 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ci 75470 / Carmine, Ci 77007 / Ultramarines, Ci 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder

G953799 / D181868/3 Pseudonym Ingredients:

Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Diisostearyl Malate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tin Oxide, Silica, Polyethylene.

May Contain:

CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, Mica, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide

Adrienne S.
The Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat collection made me so excited when it came out; I absolutely had to get my hands on both of the eyeshadow palettes. Although I love the Tenant palette as well, I feel like this one (Gold Griot) would appeal to more people since it has more neutral, brown-gold tones as opposed to the brights in the Tenant palette. I purchased this as soon as it came out and even bought a second one to give to my friend because I liked it so much. The shadows in these palettes are super high quality - blendable, pigmented, and come with stunning packaging. I actually depotted mine into standard round pans (because I'm weird and prefer single round pans to palettes) and I love them even more now, and can put the beautiful packaging they came in on display! Highly recommend this as well as the other palette in the Basquiat collection.
Lisa P.
Gainesville, FL
Since I already LOVE the URBAN DECAY brand, I just had to buy this collection when I saw it at Sephora (about $55). Its a full-sized, neutral color palette containing natural, beautiful colors that go on soft and semi-opaque. With the full range of neutral color options, there’s definitely something to match what you’re wearing (whatever that happens to be). Plus, the rich, emollient eye shadow powders leave your lids perfectly smooth without creasing or fading. I loved it so much that I bought one in BRIGHTS and one in NEUTRALS!
Flor B.
Vacaville, CA
When I saw that Urban Decay was doing a collab with one of my favorite artists, I was over the moon. I narrowed down to only buying one product because lord knows I can't afford the whole collection. I definitely had higher hopes on this palette. The eyeshadows are decent; they blend just fine and the color payoff is there however there is nothing extraordinary about it. I feel like I can only do a couple different looks with this palette and I end up only using one or two colors from the palette each time I grab for it. The black sparkly color is very chalky, not very dark whatsoever when you put it on the eyes and the sparkles don't translate on the lid. If I could go back I would never have bought this palette.
Cristee B.
Middletown, RI
I have been a huge fan of Basquiat for a very long time, I have his crown tattooed on my body. I was thrilled when I heard that urban decay was coming out with a collection in his honor. This palette is a work of art. Literally and figuratively. It can be hung on the wall as well as used. This is a nice nude palette with a good mix of mattes as well as shimmers. This is one of my favorite pieces in my makeup collection. Not only do I recommend this to fans of his work, but to makeup lovers looking for a good neutral palette.
Ella T.
Marion, KY
This palette has so many creamy eyeshadows. It is so long lasting. It stays on all day when I am at school. I did buy for $27.99 at Sephora. In my opinion it is a little pricey but it is also limited edition so I understand the price point.
Jenn G.
I’m a huge fan of his art so seeing makeup be in the mix is kinda great. This palette is filled with the perfect shades of browns and gold for a classy look. This palette also hangs on a wall (check the back) just like Basquiat’s paintings!
Jackie M.
I bought both of these basquiat palettes mostly for the packaging and to collect, the colors in this palette are more doable for an everyday look comapred to the other palette but both look amazing and the colors have nice pigment
Monique R.
Bloomington, CA
Great pigmentation of eyeshadow colors. The packaging is amazing and cool to save as a collectible. A lot of thought went into this collection and as a makeup junkie I appreciated it. I would rebuy it needed.
Kayla T.
Ville Platte, LA
This is such a beautiful collaboration.Barely any fallout and very well pigmented.Applying it is easy as can be and blending is even better.The shades are so beautiful as the dark blue is my favorite.
Jazmine R.
Tampa, FL
This palette is great and if you are a makeup collector I do suggest getting you hands on it. The shadows are lovely and blend great. You can create a lot of looks with it too
Lindsay M.
Converse, TX
Recently ordered this one, are the shadows pigmented? Is there any fall out? Urban Decay hasn't disappointed me yet so I am hoping this is a good palette.
Christina G.
Leamington, OK
I got the Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gold Griot Palette and Urban Decay Jean-michel Basquiat Gallery Blush Palette palettes recently and was super excited to try them out but found they're really hard to blend! I'm torn on whether I should return them because they're gorgeous and I love the artwork, but I won't be getting much use out of them. What do you guys think, return or keep?
Wish T.
Pune
I want this in my VoxBox
Leah G.
hull
How much is it?
Yesi D.
Is there an item that's discontinued that you wish would come back? I missed out on the Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection gold palette.