BY UPSPRING BABY #8 in Lactation Support

Drinking while breastfeeding can raise some questions. Are you throwing away breast milk unnecessarily? Are you giving your baby breast milk that has alcohol in it? Don’t guess, test! UpSpring Milk screen, the first and only test of its kind, is a quick, easy test that detects alcohol in breast milk.

• Home test to detect alcohol in breast milk
  • Easy to use with results in 2 minutes
  • Provides peace of mind so mom can breastfeed with confidence
  • Pediatrician and Lactation Consultant recommended

• Is this pretty accurate?2 Answers
  • How accurate are these? I would be super paranoid that it...3 Answers
  • These things don't even work. I tried one just to see how...1 Answers
Daniell T.
Springfield, MO
Mega Parent Expert Level 1
These test strips are a life saver. It was definitely reassuring knowing that I could have a glass of wine and know that my milk was safe for my baby to drink. They are also quite affordable.
Ashley R.
Corinth, NY
Mega Parent Expert Level 5
These are horrible and a waste of money. Not only is it completely safe to have a few drinks while breastfeeding, but these strips tested positive after I drink Orange Juice. Save your money.
Erica T.
Renton, WA
I never really drank alcohol on a regular basis before I got pregnant but once it was a forbidden, I wanted it so bad! So after giving birth and learning all about breastfeeding, including that the alcohol passes through, I was devasted that I couldn't drink for at least another year! Upon hearing about these test strips, I immediately went out and bought them. They are very simple to use and quick results when the little one is crying for you. So I give these steps as big thumbs up for the piece of mind!
Ashlee B.
Mega Parent Expert Level 2
The results are not accurate in my opinion.  I have had several alcoholic beverages and tested my milk right after just to see if it would turn brown.  Nothing.  To be safe I would recommend waiting at least an hour to 2 hours to feed baby after one drink.  Use your own discretion.  I have read that alcohol metabolizes out of your milk supply just like it does your blood.  No need to pump and dump unless its for your own comfort because once the blood metabolizes out of your blood it will be out of your milk.
Ashley B.
I rarely drink, but enjoy an Amaretto Sour on occasion. Tonight I had a 16oz glass (see picture) that was about 8oz of Amaretto. I began drinking it around 7 and finished it about an hour later. At 9pm, I pumped a bit of milk and tested it for alcohol using the strip. At the end of two minutes I couldn't tell if it was positive or negative, so I opened three more tests. Pictured are (left to right), an opened but unused strip, a strip tested in water, a strip tested in my breastmilk an hour after finishing my drink, and a strip which I dipped directly into Amaretto. There is not enough difference between the four to make me feel at all comfortable relying on these tests. The back of the box makes it seem as though the results will be very obvious when the inside ofthe box indicates differently. For me it wasn't an obvious answer, especially considering one was directly dipped into alcohol.

I received this product complimentary for review purposes. I would not recommend it.
Lauren S.
Stafford Spgs, CT
Worthless. Know that if you are ok to drive than you are ok to nurse. Don't waste your money. Either pace yourself or wait to feed/pump. Milk alcohol level works just like blood alcohol level! Look it up on kellymom.com
Libbie K.
Mega Parent Expert Level 1
I keep them on hand at all times. Not completely sure how "accurate" they are, but I've never had any problems, so it's whatever. It's more of a comfort thing for me as a mom, they are super pricey though. That's the biggest downfall to me.
Ashley-Rahne M.
Mega Parent Expert Level 2
I finally got a chance to use this the other night after preparing a romantic meal for my husband and I at home. He bought a new wine specifically for the night and we put our daughter to bed early. It worked exactly as it said it would and I could literally see the tab changing colour as I waited the two minutes. I waited about an hour and a half before using another to see if I could feed my daughter and our wine glasses are actually champaign flutes, so we didn't have a full typical glass of wine, we had about half that (but boy, did the quality make up for that!). And no colour change AT ALL - I was clear and it didn't even get dingy. I highly recommend these if you're aching for a glass but worried about not knowing when you're clear, they work really well. I would just say to feed your child right before drinking so you have plenty of time and to not drink too much, or to have milk pumped if you want a full night of unwinding.
Jenn M.
Northeast Wisconsin
Mega Parent Expert Level 5
In theory these are great to have, but not really a necessity for a mom like me who doesn't drink. Several friends of mine have said they don't always work well, but I suppose they are good to have.
Shelby B.
Omaha, NE
Mega Parent Expert Level 4
I feel like this is the perfect product for a mama who wants a piece of mind after having a drink or two. The strips are easy to use and you get fast results.

Recent studies have proven that your body breaks down most of any alcohol you drink before it gets in your milk, so this product isn't necessary.

*i received this product free for testing purpose, all opinions are my own*
Karley R.
How accurate are these? I would be super paranoid that it would say I'm okay to breastfeed my baby but really not be.
Holly F.
Whiting, VT
If you need to buy these, please just formula feed.
Michaelah Y.