United Airlines

What was your flight like?
What are their policies around pets?
Would you consider their prices too expensive compared to other airlines ?
Start your review of United Airlines!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
“Tickets are always reasonably priced, however, customer service is rather poor and the flight attendants on out last flight were very rude!” in reviews
“For the most part the service is okay but usually the flight attendants are rude and unapologetic when they spill water all over you in your sleep because they're reaching over you to get to the person in the middle.” in reviews
“my absolute favorite airlines there first class is great i havent been in there coach or buisness yet but the first class is so nice they bring you ll this stuff ” in reviews
“United has a great frequent flyer program and it is relatively easy to get upgrades into first class on domestic flights.” in reviews
“Any time I have missed my connecting flight, they've been able to accommodate me on the next available flight...or have paid for my overnight stay.” in reviews
On May 23, we flew United Airlines UA4327, on an EMB-145 (#N15574) from Knoxville (TYS) to Houston (IAH), to connect with our flight home to PHX. This plane was operated by Expressjet Airlines, dba United Express. We had seats 18C & D, which are Exit Row seats. On the EMB-145, space is really at a premium, and the few extra inches of pitch, plus the necessary underseat storage, is appreciated. We had stayed at the Hilton TYS, the night before, after a wonderful stay at Blackberry Farm. In the TYS terminal, we checked our luggage, from a week of business and pleasure, and when I handed one case to the UA agent, she pointed out that it was 0.8 lbs over the weight of 50 lbs. I showed her that we were Global Services, and at all levels from 1K, the allowance was a whopping 70 lbs. She had never heard of that, and complained that I would have to move about 1 lb from that case, to another. Her co-worker verified that we got 70 lbs, and our agent walked a way for a bit. When she returned, she told us that she had no idea how to do that, as she had a limit of 50 lbs for all. Her co-worker had her change positions, and had the luggage checked in moments - just putting a red and white “Heavy” label on that one case. This was the first UA agent, with whom I have had any issues, and with 100's of flights per year, on UA. Someone may have missed a day of training? With the luggage checked, just past TSA Security, we stopped into Ruby Tuesday, for wine, as we had just had a nice breakfast at our hotel. On the way to Gate 11 (flight still showing “On Time”), we took in an art exhibit, and a small gem show - very nice diversions in TYS Airport. The United App alerted us, that our plane would be late - but monitor still showing On Time, so my wife visited the Starbucks, down the short concourse. Our plane (coming in from Newark (EWR) arrived almost an hour late, but the turn-around was quick, and we were on our way - only about 50 late now. Our connection at IAH was getting tight. Boarding before Group 1 has advantages, and one needs those on an EMB-145, as there are overhead bins only on the starboard side of the plane - no bins on the port side, at all, so everyone has to use those above the C & D seats. Now, the EMB-145 is configured 1-2, for the entire cabin. The aisle is also about 2' lower, than the level that the seats are on, so a “step-up.” Add in that the overhead bins (and air duct on the port side) hang low, one is very likely to bump their head, getting into, or out of the seat. We fly EMB-145's too often, and I still hit my head, about every other flight. Because of the small fuselage, the curvature cuts into legroom from the side, on the A and D seats. In our case, my petite wife probably should have been in 18D, but I was hoping to get some photographs, especially on departure from TYS. Two issues, however, are that the window has a largish “Exit Row Seats” sticker, and then one is over the wing, these being over-wing exits, so shooting from these seats will always be difficult. Think I will let my wife have the window seats next time? Also, the shade in the Exit door, is only partial, on most of the EMB-145's, due to the mechanics of the door - not sure why not on all? This one was partial, but I planned on having it open. Also, on some EMB-145's, the shade cannot retract 100%, so the view will be partially obscured. This was not one of those ships, and the shade DID retract into its frame.. If there is a bright spot on the EMB-145's, it is that on the starboard (C & D) side, there are only two braces for the seats in front, so the width of the underseat storage is a bit wider, than on some larger planes. OK, that is the only bright side. Note that the distance from the floor, to the seat bottom in front of you, is much less, than on a larger plane. Also, the limited overhead bins are shallow, and their opening not very large - not much will fit. Note that unlike on many types of aircraft, the overhead bin doors drop down, and do not lift up. This fools many, who are not used to these ships. My wife’s small, wheeled briefcase will not fit in the overhead bin, because it is about ½" too thick, but will fit under the seat - but just barely. My small briefcase will fit in the overhead bins, with just barely enough room to fold my blazer, and place it atop the briefcase. On this flight, there was one passing of the beverage cart, down the very narrow aisle. With our status, we would have gotten wine/alcohol at no charge, and we went with the Camelot California Chardonnay, and the Redwood Vineyards California Cabernet Sauvignon - for being served in plastic cups, not the worst wines we have had. We had taken off into significant haze (not uncommon in the Smoky Mountains), and were in clouds for most of the flight down to Houston, but at least it was a smooth flight. Near IAD, the weather was changing, the clouds were heavy, just about until we broke through for final. We were going to have a tight connection, due to being late, and here we were stuck in Row 18! We landed at B-22, in one of the two commuter terminals at IAH, and had to get to E-14. I was hoping to see a Global Services agent waiting for us, to get us across the airport on the tarmac. In all, except for being late, the flight was good. Unlike on so many United flights, the ticket agent was not what I have come to expect. The flight attendant was very good, and quite friendly. A decent flight - but now we likely had issues with our connection home?
San Jose
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I used to fly with United very frequently. There was never an issue until 2017. I mean I had experienced a major delay once in Chicago, but if you know anything about O’Hare that is typical and United gave us passengers points for that which was pretty cool. I’ll try to make the rest short, but we will see. To start, I flew from Portland , OR to Orlando, FL with no issues at all. I went to baggage claim to find my luggage and was there waiting patiently. It started to take a while, I was the only one left from my flight, so I went in to the little United room for luggage help. The ladies working the counter were both very sweet and helpful. They asked my flight details and everything they needed to locate my luggage. When they found it, the luggage was being put on a flight back to PORTLAND. I literally just landed and anyone who has done the cross-country with layovers knows how long a day that can be. So, I start panicking because I literally just landed. They tell the linemen to pull my luggage. While we are waiting for my luggage they ask how I booked and helped me try to figure out why my returning flight was the same day, an hour later. The women asked me how I booked my flight and when I said online, they said “that may have been why, I don’t know why, but sometimes that system messes up.” You know honestly, no big deal, they told me to call customer service and get it fixed. As I’m on my way to where I was going (45 minutes from Orlando), I hop on the phone to sort everything out. The woman I spoke with basically told me that it was my issue, they couldn’t change my flight, and I’d have to pay for a new ticket while having an attitude. Two of their employees told me there has been issues with the system I used before, but the woman on the phone had a completely different tone. I ended up hanging up because at that point we weren’t resolving a single thing. Had she been nice, I would still be a customer today. It’s an airline, one of the busiest business’s there is, I understand mistakes, but I also have been in customer service for 10 years and it should’ve been handled better on their part. She was the sole reason I stopped using this airline though and I will never recommend or use this company again.
Extremely important! Coming from a former Chemo patient: Before I even review everything, I need to stress that others with medical conditions to beware. It was supposed to be a 3 hour direct flight. After we boarded, they said there were some difficulties and would keep us updated. We sat there for 3 hours until they said we needed to change planes and terminal. We all had to run to the next terminal so we could make it in time. Do you know how difficult that is with a disability? THEN, we were told we now have a 3 hour layover at the next airport. After more difficulties, we had a 2 hour delay. With delays, landing difficulties, and layovers.. it was a 12 hour ordeal and I needed my chemo injection that was in my carry-on. On the last flight, they told me that my carry on had to get stowed away because overhead was full. I explained to the stewardess that my injections were in there and I needed them immediately. She said, "Well, you should've thought about that before you stuffed your carry on." WHAT?! It was supposed to be a 3 hour trip.. not 12! Plus it was my carry on! All of the other airports/planes had no issue with it. It wasn't bulky and no where near the limit. I was so sick by the time I got off of the plane, and had to give myself the chemo injection later than usual..which also made my emergency trip even worse. I spent the last day of my uncle's life, in a chair next to him, as I vomited due to the late injection. United truly scarred me for life. They turned a sad and dreadful day into a nightmare that I will never forget. I lost the extra hours I could have spent with my uncle before he passed away.. and at the end of his life.. he spent it crying because he saw how sick I was and he didn't want to leave me to fend for myself. United robbed me of the time I had left with him.. and my dignity as I sat there vomiting due to the late injection. I still cry just thinking about it. Every day I wish I picked another airline.
Jackson, MI
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
United Airlines uploaded by Abigail P.
I have flown United Airlines domestically and internationally and both were positive experiences overall. United Airlines' customer service was fine. I cannot recall anything exceptional, but there were definitely no issues; all in all, staff was pleasant.

United Airlines' seats on both our domestic and international flights were comfortable. Leg room on our international flight was pretty good. I have flown airlines internationally where I could not believe the limited space; however, our round trip flights between Chicago and Ireland were quite comfortable and the space was reasonable for main cabin.

Food and Entertainment were both great. I realize it is odd to state that Airline food is "great" but compared to some of the other airlines I have flown internationally, the food to and from Ireland was better than most, and I have flown internationally a lot! There was definitely plenty of it too; I was sort of shocked how much they feed you!

As for entertainment, some United Airlines flights are equipped with in-flight seat back screens and others you have to download the app to a phone or tablet to get in flight entertainment. Regardless, there is up to date shows and movies to choose from via the seat back screens or application. The only concern you might have is making sure your phone or tablet is charged before flying just in case you have to use the app. There are outlets in each seat, but neither my husbands outlet or mine worked on our international flight from Ireland.

Kempton
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I am not a big fan of United Airlines. I have had not the best staff interactions which representatives having an attitude and not being understanding. Their service out of my local airport is majorly flawed. A bus is supposed to take you from Allentown PA to Newark NJ. The bus is often late, only runs 3 times a day, doesn't allow for traffic (which always happens), and doesn't allow time to get through airport security. I refuse to fly out of my local airport if the bus is used. You will be late and never make your flight out of NJ. I also found their customer service reps not the friendliest and helpful both over the phone and in person. Once when flying from AZ to NJ to catch a bus to PA that the airline provides, the flight to NJ was delayed severely. so bad that I missed the bus to get to PA. the over the phone rep ensured I would make it in time to get to the bus but failed to realize that when a plane lands you have to wait for taxing and actually getting off the plane. Once in the airport the in person reps told us we missed the bus  and the next 2 buses (the only trips the bus does) were full so we were out of luck. Thankfully after enough complaining I got refunded for the bus ride, but no effort was made and I ended up stuck in NJ for hours I could get picked up.
Ventura
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I fly United A Lot. Usually because it is the cheapest during my searches. They are usually pleasant and I never thought twice about booking with them. However I didn’t give them a 5 star due to my last experience. I had a group of 40 to book a flight to Hawaii. You need to go through their group desk for a group that size. They ask for names, birthdates and more. I booked all at once and there were around 23 children. They refused to give me a seating arrangement until the day before which was awful. They had us all over the plane, most kids were seated alone and nowhere near any of our group let alone the family that matched by last names. We also had special needs children and it took many calls and different operators to finally help. They only allowed me to move the special needs and very young children, but not all. Ultimately I was unable to sit with my 11 year old and she was placed by strangers. I don’t understand why you book 40 tickets at one time and only had a few people allowed to sit with each other. Then to put luggage up and get down when you are a child sitting alone means you ask a stranger for help or wait for your parents to come find you when you are 15 rows apart. When I fly with my own family alone, he airline is usually ok but this was a disaster.
Falls Church
I flew United for my first ever flight experience. I was 18 and going on a choir tour in England. The travel from the US to London was fine, no complaints. However, on the way back I was bumped from my flight and their reasoning was that I bought the cheapest ticket on the flight. I'm not sure how that could have been true since I had purchased a round-trip ticket and not just a one-way, but I was bumped and put on another flight. That flight was delayed several hours and then I was bumped from that flight again. This time, I was put on another flight at a different airport 30 minutes away. They gave me a taxi voucher which didn't completely cover the cost of the taxi to the next airport, and I was almost late for the flight they put me on at the other airport. I ran through security, but luckily (and unluckily) my flight was delayed. It ended up being delayed for 6 hours. Needless to say, I had a few meltdowns due to the stress of flying alone, being bumped repeatedly from flights, traveling to the next town over to another airport, running through security, and then sitting in the new airport for 6 hours waiting on this flight home. I will never ever even think about flying United again for the rest of my life, and I will discourage anyone from flying United.
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
United Airlines HELLO MY INFLUENSTER'S & PEEP'S ITS BEEN A MINUTE EH? My apologiesfor my absence however this global situation that we have going on currently has unfortunately distracted me and having some additional children in my home also has caused me not to have a open discussion is I normally would. However my review for United airlines isn't great. United airlines unfortunately really soured me on the way that they handle their customers long-standing customers in fact. The additional hidden fees taxes etcetera etcetera that they like to include in their costs not telling you also that they used to have one policy and now they've changed it but they do not ever initiate reminding you so that you're aware of things before you actually hit the airport and then you wife are then are just absolutely stunned at all the upcharge that you're looking at in order to fly comfortably. So many airlines and service before this epidemic hopefully soon they will have revised any plans that they had in the near future has consistently be this money hungry in a time of such great need for compassion and kindness towards others. Thanks for reading with me guys have a great week be kind to yourself and each other until next time-V
ohio
The prices were great for January round trip. The questions I had about flying and informing them of my son’s deadly peanut allergy were answered very well. I was given a number to the disability desk and they put it in the file for that flight attendants. I was told that they could note for them to prewipe the area down. They do NOT serve peanuts or nuts at all but that doesn’t stop others from bringing it on and eating it. To avoid any issues they had repeatedly told me to let the flight attendants know that he had a Deadly peanut allergy so everything would go smoothly. The flight attendants however didn’t care about that. They actually looked at us like we were idiots when we said he had a peanut allergy. It seems as though they do not have the same policy on board as the costumer service information or they just didn’t care to check passengers information before doing their job. We wiped our own area. Not a big deal, but a lesson for him when he travels without me. I don’t want to fear flying because the flight attendants made him feel stupid for saying anything and him not inform anyone. It’s a must for him to speak up. Especially when dust from a peanut could stop him from breathing. Aside from that the flight was smooth.
New Orleans, LA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
United Airlines is a great airline with decent service, but does still experience the pitfalls of many airline companies who struggle to find the sweet spot between price and comfort for customers. United, being such a predominant company, can give customers many flexible options for flight times and flight prices. However, the airline still struggles to bring prices down, even though flights seem to be getting more and more cramped and uncomfortable. New Basic Economy options are available, but are not properly advertised, leaving some passengers with baggage they aren't allowed to take on board. In addition, United Airlines seems to struggle with its customer service, having a very hit or miss reputation. Many customers (like myself) have been served well by United, with staff members helping with speedy transfers or accommodating special requests. However, I have also experienced staff members who have made rude comments accidentally caught on gate microphones or members unwilling to help with accommodations or requests. If you can pay for the upgrades, United is the way to go. Otherwise, consider sticking with another, more customer-service oriented airline.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Vero Beach
il y a 6 mois
United Airlines ?is this airline worth the money? And what about their carry on requirements?
Taylor W. • il y a 3 mois
I believe so! They have always been good to me!