BY ULTA #2 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?455 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Radhika M.
San Jose, CA
I don't shop very often from Ulta, but I do like their broad selection of products and in-store displays. I have only gone to one Ulta store, so my experience is limited to that, but I found the SA there a bit pushy. Maybe she was just trying to be helpful, but I prefer to wander around and shop at my own pace. Ulta online - the website - I really don't like very much. Browsing takes a bit of getting used to and categories and brands are a little difficult to locate. That said, Ulta has fantastic sales and great coupons, so for those looking to pick good makeup at a reasonable price, this is the place to go.
Anna V.
I like Ulta store because they carry both low end and high end products and always have some kind of sale or deal going on. They carry some products that Sephora doesn't carry. Some time you are better off buying lower end products in Target or Walmart where they might be slightly cheaper. What I don't like is that they don't give out product samples to try before committing to a buy. You can return a product if you are not satisfied. They also have free rewards program which you can earn points that converts to a certain dollar amount you can use to take off overall purchase price, which is pretty good.
Stephanie P.
Spanaway, WA
Love Ulta, however I wish they carried Kat Von D and other brands like that. I love that the store are brightly lite so you can truly see makeup colors and the stores are large so you don't feel cramped. I've gotten many lip sticks and eye shadow pallets from here. Love that you can see what they look like before buying and they try to keep samples looking clean and not nasty like some other make up stores where no one sane would touch the samples lol. I recently got an acne kit that I'm very excited to try. Last night was my first night with it. Can't wait to see if it will be the answer to my prayers.
Jordan B.
I love the deals at Ulta, I highly suggest buying the monthly perfume selections. It is NOT a subscription box. But it includes about 10-15 sample sized perfumes for about $30 but there is sometimes a half off deal for them, I got mine for $15 on Black Friday but that is not the only time I saw the deal. I have been looking for a new regular perfume but didn't know where to start and this has helped a ton. The box even includes a $5 off coupon for my full sized purchase, and they always have great deals when you buy perfume like a free cosmetic bag set. Highly recommend the Ulta brand products as well.
Stephanie W.
Chattanooga, TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love Ulta. I really do. It's a great place, and I love that it's half drugstore brands and half prestige brands.

I do have a few complaints, though:

1. Selection - I often order online because I have a hard time finding items in store.

2. Customer Service - I feel like it takes a long time for things to be resolved, and on more than one occasion, samples, etc, have been left out of my package.

3. Shipping cost - So may places offer free shipping, and Ulta used to offer it for purchase at $35. Now that price is at $50, and if I can't get an order of that size together, I'll just go somewhere else.
Samantha C.
La Mesa, NM
The "Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner" in the color Black unfortunately is not waterproof, and for me that is a must because my eyes tend to cry quite a bit so what I do is just put a different eyeliner that is waterproof for the outer corners of my eyes and although it is not waterproof, it does not smear or transfer which is great. Now on to color. The pigmentation is great, it does have a glossy finish, for my tastes I would prefer for it to be Matte. The application is so EASY that's why i like this eyeliner pen so much, you can do your winged eyeliner perfectly in under 5 minutes.
Kayla R.
Galesburg, MI
Beauty Junkie Expert
I do admit I use ULTA for most of my beauty product purchases, but only because Sephora isn't located closer to me. ULTA has a somewhat limited selection (no Makeup Forever, for example), but that may not matter much to those who usually use drugstore brands mostly. The rewards program is alright, but doesn't really provide much "reward" for those not spending tons on beauty care, all the time. (Expiring points every month?? Yeah okay) Overall, prefer Sephora but ULTA still is a decent option. The sales-people I've encountered have always been very nice and helpful when I needed their assistance.
Alterna - Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Milk. OMG, I just have to say this is the absolute BEST leave-in hair conditioner I have ever used!!! I actually received a sample of this product, or I probably never would have tried it as it is a little pricey. However, I am so glad they were willing to provide a sample of this product..... just the little sample bottle lasted about 3 weeks. Absolute awesomeness!! This product leaves hair so silky smooth without any greasiness or heaviness. I would absolutely recommend the purchase of this product, seeing as how I did purchase the product! ;)
Autumn G.
The best! I get my brows to hair done here, they have a salon and every product you would find in ULTA, I get about all I need is done right in one place, I'm not driving all over the state just to find one product and getting my brows a different place. it's all about efficency and quality all in one store called ULTA bravo! take it from a girl who hates makeup, very low maintenance they will make room for us regardless the women in here look gorgeous and make us feel like we are somebody special :) I have been regular for about four years so far! just because they have a brow bar!
Destiny A.
I usually have a really hard time finding a foundation that matches my akin flawlessly. I was looking for a medium buildable foundation and a dupe for my Mac shadows. I found the dupes for my shadows with no issue. My foundation was a disaster. The associate was very helpful, very friendly and knowledgeable but gave me a shade that was 3 times lighter than I am and it was not okay. He put a bronzer on top of it, and I tokd him I still hated it. All in all, I do like the rewards plan and would still shop here. I do think there is room for improvement when it comes to shade matching.
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Lynnsay B.
Pekin, IN
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?