BY ULTA #2 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?455 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Brandy C.
Park Rapids, MN
This is for the ulta gel eyeliner. I have used every brand of gel liner from high end to drug store and this one is as good as any high end. The consistency is similar to MAC Fluidline a creamy almost mousse like texture. The dry down time is a little longer than MAC so you do need to let this really set a minute or it may smudge. This has good pigmentation and has a nice smooth application. The wear time is great as is most gel liners. It takes a waterproof eye makeup remover or oil type remover to get this off. One of the best things about this is the Charcoal shade...it is a true matte gray no shimmer so you get a great dark line but without the harshness black can have.
Veronica M.
From drugstore brand products to specialty beauty brand products Ulta has a great combination to choose from in single store. I go there often for the great deals and promotions that they run and recommend shopping there for a one stop shop for all your beauty needs. They carry everything from CoverGirl, Maybelline to It! Cosmetics, Stila, and Smashbox. I love that they always have coupons and special higher quality branded product editions like combo packaged Stila lip glosses. Ulta also has hair salons and brow bars in some of their locations. I recommend shopping here especially for gifts that any beauty lover will love. The staff is also well trained and are helpful.
Katherine P.
Conroe, TX
OMG! This is the BEST cosmetic/hair/nails store in the world! There is also a full salon.

What I like about ULTA is their variety of products...everything from your Sally Hansen to Bare Escentuals and everything in between. They have almost all lines of cosmetics and fragrances, with the exception of the department-only store brands. But much of their stuff is still high class. The prices are decent and they always have wonderful sales. I'm so addicted to this place!

They also have a ULTA Club, which costs nothing to join and you get some FANTASTIC deals when you accumulate enough points on a quarterly basis. There are also pre-made gft baskets, perfect for the holidays.
Ashley S.
Michigan City, IN
Ulta is a hit or miss for me. Online orders are always great but our local store is not the greatest. It takes awhile to attract a salesperson to help you and when you do you run the risk of condescension if you aren't familiar with the salesperson's favorite products. I've had rude comments made toward me from salon staff because I preferred to do my own hair rather than pay ridiculous prices for a large risk of hating what they've done (based on what I've seen happen to others, I refuse to give it a chance because I am immensely attached to my hair). Our local store is also a crime magnet, and I just don't find it to be a very good quality experience.
Maria B.
I love Ulta because they have just about everything you could possibly need involving beauty. I feel like Ulta is catered to everyone from the beginners to the advanced. I don't feel so overwhelmed when I walk into Ulta as I do when I'm in Sephora. Ulta has a nice selection of products that vary from drugstore brands to higher brands so it makes shopping around affordable. Also, if you are part of their rewards program (which is free) you can accumulate points that you can later use on purchases. They also have a coupon on every ad where you can get a few dollars off your purchase of $10 or $15. Overall, Ulta is one of my go-to beauty stores m.
Sharr M.
El Cajon, CA
I've only been a customer at Ulta for 6 months, but my experience thus far has been great. The customer service is awesome. My first visit I wanted a beauty consultation (being new to the make up world) and the worker who assisted me was a great help. She helped me match foundations for my skin, provided me with the essentials needed to do my makeup. And also showed me how to apply the makeup. I've also received a facial at their beauty bar and that went very well. I am a regular customer now, I purchase Nip+Fab , NYX, Benefit, and other beauty products from them. And I am also part of their rewards program, which is great if you're a regular!
Olivia B.
Today was the first time I went to Ulta. , Didn't know what to expect. EXTREMELY disappointed. Had nothing to do with the products but the store was not kept clean at all. Makeup on display was DISGUSTING, smashed, dirty, had hair in lipstick. Even the products to purchase was opened, boxes all messy. I know other Ulta's are probably nicer, but as a first experience disappointed. Sephora is always well kept, sale associates waiting to help you, and I feel although my wallet takes a hit, I am happy. Ulta has great products. Just clean up your act a little. Even a drug store is cleaning then this place. The one I visited was Watchung New Jersey.
Ashley C.
Unfortunately every experience I've had at Ulta has been bad. Not because of the products or prices, but the customer service. Every time I've been, I've gotten dirty looks, followed and grilled. I redeemed a coupon for the c.Booth mailer last year, and the cashier was very unwilling to help me because she thought I forged the coupon somehow! I work, I don't need to rip off a store for a $9.99 bottle of lotion. Anyhow, terrible customer service aside, the wide array of products, both high end and drug store- makes comparison shopping super easy. It's definitely an expensive store, but the benefits of their rewards program make it worth it.
Mandy V.
San Jose, CA
I personally love Ulta more than Sephora for the reward/point system they have. From my personal experience, Ulta sends more emails regarding free samples and promotions. Ulta also carries not just high-end brands, but they also carry drug store brands. They always have a sale or have coupons going on, another reason why I love it. Although they don't give free samples like Sephora does to try before buying the full-sized products, I do like that they display the product so we can test before buying. A majority of the time I go to Ulta I have an okay experience with the staff, but there are other times where they're extremely helpful.
Sam R.
They have good stuff on sale you can buy a box tgat has $300 value on sale for $20 and under go on there website they gave salez running i gave 4 of them
For as much money you pay for things like L'Oreal Covergirl La things like that you might as well spend a little more for way better quality I prefer mac over this one with mac you can collect your 6 hard plastic containers and turn them into mac and get a free lipstick where ulta, covergirl, urban decay and more does not you just throw away the container and also mac last longer i use mac studio fix foundation and powder its great on coverage and works on both oily an dry skin
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?
Lynnsay B.