BY ULTA #1 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?457 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Lauryn H.
Harrisonburg, VA
I really like to go to Ulta for their skincare and makeup products. Sometimes I will go there for hair products, but I must confess that I usually go try to price match at TJ Maxx afterwards on that. I think the Ulta workers are super informed about makeup and always help me find what I am looking for. I am very limited in my makeup knowledge and Ulta makes me leave feeling like an expert. They also help me if I tell them a product is outside my price range. I wonder how much they make off sales? Because they are lifesavers! Also the brow bar is amazing, but certainly overpriced.
Robin M.
Clinton Twp, MI
I have not actually shopped at Ulta in some time because I forget about it and there aren't a ton of convenient locations in my area but every time I've shopped there, I've been pleased. The floor staff are very helpful and not the typical pushy salespeople and seem eager to help me find just the right products for my skin, offering several different choices. They never seem rushed like they're trying to get to the next customer. Price point is pretty much average to this type of store but I do like their layout better than Sephora. It feels more inviting and less "trendy" to me.
Autumn W.
Rch Cucamonga, CA
Like other reviewers, I will stick with Sephora as everything always works out well with them. Today I spent a lot of my time in the store, particularly interested in the clearance section, several Coola items including a kit with four small products...all clearance items were unmarked!!! An employee tried to help, but agreed, nothing was priced. She took it to the front register and said it was $50. No way, clearly this item was not fifty bucks!!! How could I go further??? So it will sit on the shelf for another year. Whenever I have purchased clearance items, often find they are further discounted when I get to the register, which seems ridiculous. If you are trying to clear them, why not show the lowest price???

Then, to use my $3.50 coupon, I purchased hair accessories priced at $11.99 and $2.47. The $2.47 hair tie had clearly been around a long time and on sale. Standing in line another long time. When I get to the register, the coupon cannot be used because one item is a clearance item, $2.47...I gave her my coupon, my book, the items, she can keep them all and know exactly what to do with them because I ain't going back in that freaking store. I hate the place and all the time wasted trying to make purchases. Awful customer service, terrible policies. Like other complaints here, I once attempted to make a return with a receipt and nope, as I waited endlessly for the woman ahead of me to do an exchange, these clerks are braindead with no accountability nor ability to make a decision. Hate it.

Jessica S.
Chapel Hill, NC
One of my favorite stores--I could live there! One perk that it has over Sephora is that it offers both high end and drugstore products. They usually have pretty good sales, and I like that they sometimes have special perks for platinum members. I also love that your points can be used as cash towards your purchase. They have a great selection, including things I can't find anywhere else (like Makeup Revolution), the largest nyx selection I've seen, and are constantly getting new things. The only thing I wish they did was let you pick your samples when you order online like Sephora does. You don't know what you're getting, and most of the time I don't care for them, and I also think they've cut back on the quantity and quality of the samples. Still love Ulta though!
Janel S.
Modesto, CA
I love that they have onsite vendor reps to assist you in choosing products, they often have more knowledge than the sales associates because they work for the brand. Ulta's return policy is great, especially because I dont want to be stuck with a beauty product that's expensive once you get home and it looks terrible. It is however disappointing that the stores get "special" releases. Makeup companies give certain products between sephora and ulta that eachother cant get. It's annoying for the consumer, especially when ulta is out of Tarte Maneater and Sephora doesnt get it.
Veronica V.
Chelmsford, MA
I love this store. Love that I can get drugstore and high end products all in one place. They even have a salon and a brow bar! Who can beat that? Such a great variety of hair products too and they always have great sales and gifts with purchase. You sometimes have to remind the staff to give you the gifts but they are always nice about it in my experience. Plus the rewards program and website beauty steals are great too!
Heather W.
Holliston, MA
The more that Sephora's rewards make me angry, the more respect I have for Ulta. Keep it simple and just give me money back for my points that I rack up. I have almost 7000 useless Sephora points. I recently went into an Ulta store and got a $60 product for under $5 because of points collected. They also have a lot more GWP's to offer than Sephora ever had. Yes, you can't get many "luxury" brand products here, but they have something for everyone's budget. I wish some of the testers were kept a bit cleaner, but it's hard when some customers are just so gross with them.
Jessica J.
Bennington, NE
Where do I even begin?!? Ulta has amazing products of their own especially their loose powder which I swear by!!! Their personal brand brushes are amazing especially the angled brush for contouring and highlighting as well as applying blush. They are also the ink store at least in Nebraska that sells TARTE!!!! Which makes them the all around best store! Especially with their amazing customer service, helpful employees, organized stores with great lighting! They have everything you need with many testers and applicators as well as salons inside for hair and waxing
Ramona C.
I love shopping here! There is always a coupon or a sale. I tend to do more of my shopping online since they have more options online, in general. This is the best of both worlds, you can shop drugstore items and some higher end. The only downside is that they don't carry everything thats higher end so you still need to do a trip to Sephora if you're into those kinds of products. Regardless, this store can get me locked in for hours, the workers have always been friendly and go out of their way to help me. Will forever continue to shop here and recommend to my friends who still haven't ventured out of the drugstores.
Jennifer G.
Toppenish, WA
I can generally get everything that I need in one place when I go to Ulta, which is helpful. But I am rarely offered any help when I go in there and even when I ASK for help then I am pawned off onto another employee or they act like I am torturing them by asking questions. I can understand that they have other things to do, but if I am paying $20 for just my mascara... you should be a little more helpful. I have been disappointed by them on multiple occasions (not the store itself, but the staff) now I usually only go in for whatever I am unable to find at sephora.
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?
Lynnsay B.