BY ULTA #2 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?455 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Megan U.
Bartlett, IL
Ulta is a beauty store and salon that sells both drugstore and mid-to-high-end products. At Ulta you will find cosmetics, skin care, and hair care products at both the low-end price range and the more prestigious, high-end price range.

Ulta carries a massive amount of brands, many of which can also be found on its website. Many stores also boast Benefit Brow Bars, Dermalogica facial stations, and in-store consultants from prestige skincare and makeup brands such as Urban Decay, Bare Minerals, Clinique, and Estee Lauder.

In addition, Ulta offers many coupon discounts to members of its rewards program, which allows customers to rack up points with every purchase - points they can later turn into cash for more Ulta swag. The store also has monthly sales, and twice a year sells jumbo sizes of salon-quality shampoo and conditioner for half the price. People go nuts over this!

Overall, I love Ulta. Even though it doesn't offer as many prestige brands as its main competitor Sephora, it is catching up in that respect by adding new brands in the last few months I feel that Ulta's sales and rewards program is superior to that of Sephora, and it is a much more laid-back place to shop.
Krystal B.
Binghamton, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
Excellent customer service. Great variety of drug store and high end brands so you can get everything at once while also being able to shop with friends from all financial backgrounds.
Katie H.
Pflugerville, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta over the years has gone down in quality for me. They continue to add higher name brands and expand their drugstore products and always have a coupon going on. Whether it be $3.50 off $10, $5 or $15 and 20%, etc. But what has really turned me off of Ulta is the lack of good customer service. They hire people that don't seem to have a wide knowledge of brands, long lines (maybe short staffed?), and beauty advisors that don't really seem to listen. I've asked for product recommendations and gotten "I'm not really sure" as a response then they turn to the next closet team member and ask my question for them to both look at me white eyed like deer in headlights only to again say "I'm not sure...hmmmmm". So frustrating! Not sure if they really don't know or don't want to be helpful. I'd rather go to Sephora for help (if the product is available there and get a FREE sample) or HEB and figure it out myself.
Jennifer J.
Brunswick, GA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Mmmm where to start. I love love love shopping and Ulta is/// was one of my favorites. My sister has dementia we were at a local store and she had her bag for shopping and her purse and when your shopping and your carting 2 bags and accidentally put products into her purse instead of the shopping bag and the lady comes out screaming I SEEN THAT I SEEN THAT, I'm calling police give me give me what's in your purse....... my sister confused & was in shock to realize she put items in her purse and not shopping bag, as I'm trying to explain she tells us to leave with out ever returning she has a disease and had every intention of purchasing her items. It will be a while before I shop there again! The store was full of people and embarrassing. She wouldn't even let me speak to explain her condition...... for god sakes My sister is a platinum member with a credit card... I almost wanted to call or email the franchise and get this woman fired but part of me thinks why???? What if she's a single mom why even waste my time........ It's been months and I can't get myself to go back or call the lady to explain.
I'll never shop at that specific store again!
Nicole C.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Oh my, who doesn't love Ulta. You can purchase high end make up to low end make up all in one trip. Plus, all the stuff in between. They have hair products, purfume. I love the rewards program and they always have coupons. Free sample size gift on your bday! I love shopping at this store. You can get your brows done and there is a hair salon. I get my daughters hair done there everytime she is due for a trim, cut or just a style. There is one lady who is the manager of the salon where we go and my 11 yr old loves her, she takes her time asking my daughter questions on how she would like it to look and it always comes out great. Yes, I could go to one of those $10 places to get her haircut but my daughter has wavy very thick hair and out of all of the places we've been to, Ulta is they only one who can cut and thin her hair out correct. Props to @ulta! ūüíá ūüíĄ#hair #makeup #EverythingInBetween
Sara J.
Sn Luis Obisp, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta is my go to place for make up anymore! Way cheaper than sephora in some cases and can be way less crowded as well! Love the fact that they carry the drugstore brands as well!
Maya S.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta es una tienda de art√≠culos de belleza que no s√≥lo vende productos de belleza y cuidado del cabello sino que tambi√©n ofrece el cuidado del cabello (corte de pelo, color, estilo, etc.) y maquillajes de belleza. Ulta ofrece puntos a sus miembros que pueden canjear por art√≠culos de belleza y cuidado del cabello. Los miembros de Ulta ganan estos puntos cada vez que compran en Ulta. Ulta ofrece muestras gratuitas (en la tienda a menudo tiene que pedir las muestras), as√≠ como ofrece un club de cumplea√Īos (tiene que inscribirse en este club en l√≠nea.) Ulta tiene especiales semanales y mensuales. Puede comprar en l√≠nea o en una ubicaci√≥n de ladrillo y mortero cerca de usted. Estoy dando a Ulta s√≥lo cuatro estrellas debido a la tienda de Jackson, Michigan. A menudo tengo que buscar la ayuda de sus empleados. Puedo hacer vueltas en la tienda sin que un empleado me pregunte si necesito ayuda. Sin embargo, las cuatro estrellas son para la variedad de productos y servicios de Ulta, as√≠ como en especialidades de tiendas (hace unas semanas asist√≠ a una promoci√≥n de cosm√©ticos de IT donde me enter√© de nuevos productos y recib√≠ muestras). En realidad, me gusta Ulta mejor que su principal competidor, Sephora.
Jessica A.
Hixson, TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love their points system and the option to add free samples to my order. Each time I've ordered from them my palettes have arrived in perfect condition, and packaged very well.
Mariah G.
Manteca, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
My experiences at ulta have not always been the best, but since I have one in town I go for convenience sometimes. Mostly get lashes there, which they have a lot at decent prices
Erica S.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta is my one stop shop for all things beauty! I love that I can walk in and grab my Redken shampoo, Bare Minerals foundation, Urban lip, Ulta mascara, and all other beauty products in one store. I mean we are talking prestige makeup, drug store makeup, razors, cotton swabs, shampoo, nail supplies, body wash, lotion, skin care, etc. Ulta just really outshines the competition when it comes to the convenience of being able to get all things in one place!

I have a Ulta Credit Card and I get double points on each purchase when I use it, so I LOVE that. I love the loyalty program and how easy it is to rack up points and save money!

There is always a coupon out and the birthday gifts are always wonderful. I got a free $19 Urban Decay eye shadow this past year! There seems to always be a fun free gift with purchase available as well.

I'm just a fan for life. I get everything from this store. Go Ulta!
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Lynnsay B.
Pekin, IN
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?