BY ULTA #1 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?455 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Tara L.
Laurens
I love love love Ulta! They always have what I want and need. Even if I were looking for something and they didn't have it the women working there are more than happy to find the closest thing to the product. They are extremely helpful and they try to be as knowledgeable about the products as possible. If one of them doesn't know the answer then they will find someone to best answer your questions. They have all kinds of goodies from drug store makeup to more high professional makeup. If you feel overwhelmed shopping here someone will come help you and talk you through what you're searching for. I prefer Ulta over Sephora and their ability to help is one of the reasons. From perfume to hair to the eyebrow bar to the skin care to the makeup they have a little bit of everything!
Amanda G.
Kenosha, WI
I love Ulta. The staff is really nice and the store layout is great. I can typically find the products I'm looking for, but if they're really popular at the time, I usually will have to order online. I will definitely continue shopping here, I just wish that people didn't open products there that aren't testers. I found new lip balms in a display that were meant to be purchased, but had been opened and used to test out. Ulta is one of my favorite stores, and I love the free samples that come with online purchases, as well as the free gifts with certain purchases. They are always having a sale on something, and I also appreciate the member points system as well as the $3.50 coupon that I know I can always use. I also appreciate the fact that they accept manufacturer coupons.
Emily S.
Cheyenne, WY
Our store is brand new and whoever orders for them is terrible. Since the OPENING on October 8, 2016 they have been out of Tarte Shape Tape concealer and every time I go in their Nyx section looks as if it has been attacked by packs of rabid make up guru dogs. This store needs more mature leadership. It's frustrating to need/want something and they are out. They seem to immediately have sold out of the lightest shade of almost *every* foundation available to them. I have been in once a week or once every other week since opening still no Shape Tape, still no lightest shade in the foundations I want and I refuse to compromise what I want because they are too lazy to restock or reorder. They sell out of more and more products without seeming to reorder them. It's a shambles.
MaryCaroline G.
St Petersburg, FL
DO NOT USE THIS STORE FOR ONLINE PURCHASING!!

I purchased three items - equaling to exactly 58 dollars. Went through checkout, clicked confirm, order was over. Received an email several minutes later with a 150 dollar charge, and items I had never even heard of on the bill!!

Called customer service and was told I obviously didn't know how to shop online, was interrupted consistently, and told there wasn't any way to stop the order. I was given two options:

1) drive to the store and return the product (the store is half an hour away... which is why I shopped online)
2) mail it back to them. (The best part is I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE LABEL).

Not only am I angry about the mishap, I am very very upset about my customer service experience. I will never shop here again.
Seunghyun L.
Philadelphia, PA
I came here just to pop in and look around and found a face lotion I figured I would try out. I got the Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Moisturizer. I do break out here and there, like one pimple at a time so I decided to try this ospecific one. The first week, there wasn't much of a difference but then during the second week, I saw my skin started to clear up some. And now, almost a year later, I actually do have pretty clear skin with breakouts only once in a while. And for the price of only $8 for the amount that you get, I think it is very worth it. I just wished it would start working within the first week, but that's just me. The only thing I guess I really don't like is that it doesn't moisturize as good as other moisturizers. That would be the only con I guess.
Kayla R.
ROCHESTER, PA
I don't know how meaty this review can be because I have never needed assistance while shopping here but every time I have been inside there was always a worker that was readily available if I needed it. The store is easy to navigate around and just really fun to be in with all the products availabe for you to try before you buy. The only negative experience I have ever had there was the time the credit card machine wasn't working at all and they had a line backed up and were trying to get ahold of support but nothing was working so I had to pay with cash, which wasn't that big of a deal to me but the wait time in line was ridiculous. To make things better though they loaded my bag up with free samples which I really appreciated. Ulta is one of my favorite stores.
Melissa G.
Maurice, LA
I've heard people rave about how much they love ULTA. When we got ours here, everybody said how happy they were because it was so great. I decided to go check it out to find a highlighting powder for my husband's Christmas party. I was so beyond disappointed it was appalling. I walked in and received NO greeting. I walked around the store THREE times and not only did no one ask to help me but they actually walked away from me when they saw me coming closer. I decided to give it a second try when I was looking for a travel size skin care kit. Same thing happened again.
I've gone to Sephora and gotten the complete opposite. People tell me hi as soon as I walk in and are happy to help. I know where I'm going next when I need something and it sure as heck ain't ULTA.
Camille T.
If I'm being honest, the only reason I enjoy Ulta is because it carries drugstore brands and LORAC. I'm also pretty happy that they accept coupons! However, I have to say that my few experiences there were far from amazing. I've been in twice to get matched for foundation and each time the associate who was helping me was way off mark. On one occasion, she didn't just swatch, she painted my entire face with way to much product that was the entirely wrong shade. She tried to tell me it looked amazing and was very pushy with selling me the foundation, but I knew I had to decline. That being said, I do enjoy the selection of products and some skin care brands that Sephora does not stock. I just stay from the sales associates and their offers to swatch me!
Jacqueline P.
Richmond, VA
Ulta is the best of both worlds! They have your high end products for your occasional splurge, but they also offer drug store products as well as an Ulta line for amazing prices. Not to mention, they have their salon and benefit brow bar so you can walk out of the store with your favorite products, a new hairdo, and fabulous brows! As a rewards member, you get weekly promotions and coupons that allow those splurge days to be less painful. Obviously a company is only as great as their customer service and Ulta has never let me down. I once had an issue with a coupon code not properly applying and was offered immense compensation for the error. They bend over backwards to make sure their customers feel valued and for that, Ulta will always be my go to!
Hannah S.
I love Ulta, I love the idea of midrange, highend, and drugstore makeup all in one and their rewards program is great. I have some problems with them, however, and this is why I choose to go to Sephora:
1. The stores are always dirty. I can't go into the store without there being powder foundation all over the floor.
2. They're understaffed. Good luck finding anyone to answer any questions you have.
3. There is a lack of testers for most things, which means customers will open up several of the same color to test it then buy a closed one. So there might be 5 open and used tubes of the same lipstick.
4. When there are testers, they're in horrible condition. I went in to test a specific palette and every shade was empty but it was still on the shelf.
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?
Lynnsay B.