BY ULTA #1 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?455 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Andrea B.
Cypress, TX
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!! The Ultimate Rewards program cannot be beat! You get points for everything you purchase and I def recommend taking advantage of the bonus rewards when they are 2,3,or even 5X your purchase! Its best to save your points to cash them in later when they have really accumulated, so you can get $125 off your purchase, with NO minimum. Oh and don't forget to try and reach platinum status before the year is up to get points even faster and take advantage of Platinum Perk promos and sales that are not available to everyone else! I love their customer service, not only in the store but also when you call in to their 800 number. If you ever have any issue, they go the extra mile to take care of it and make it right. Their return policy is amazing too BTW, it allows you to test out products and if you don't like it, simply return, no questions asked. It has saved me from having so many lipsticks I THOUGHT I liked in the store but came home and realized looked horrible, lol.
Kya J.
Jacksonville, FL
My favorite beauty store by far. It holds many different brands of makeup from drugstore to luxury. I have yet to try a product there I don't really like. They also hold a decent amount of hair/skin/body products like face masks/wash, and conditioner. Because of the flexibility in products, you don't necessarily have to have a whole bunch of money with you to be able to buy something (which I find difficult at Sephora) and customer service is great too. There's always people willing to try and help you find something you like. Like Sephora as well, they hold a point system where $1 equals 1 point, and if you earn a certain amount of points (like 200) you get 6$ off a purchase and 250 points get you 8$ off of a purchase. And they have this thing called platinum membership, where if you spend like 450$ there in one calendar year you're a platinum member, where none of your points expire (unlike regular members) and you also gain different opportunities to earn double, triple, the points
Kristen C.
I've been a customer of Ulta since I was first allowed to start wearing makeup my freshman year of high school dating back 18 years ago!! Their rewards program has gotten better in the last 2 years. You get a $ amount off purchases when you reach 100/250/etc pts. They do promotions where you can get double points on purchases & the entire month of your birthday you get double points. Their free birthday gift finally was good this year! It was an Urban Decay eyeshadow. In the past their birthday gifts were kinda blah to be honest...like a Calvin Klein mascara...they don't even sell the brand in store?! I hope they keep up with the good birthday gift for reward members to keep up with Sephora's which is always something good. Sephora & Ulta have a lot of similar makeup & skincare brands(Urban Decay, Benefit, Smashbox, Becca, Mario Badescu, etc) I'd say Sephora has a bit more higher end brands but Ulta has all lower end brands too & better hair care selection. Plus their $3.50 coupon!
María Carolina R.
Orlando, FL
love shopping at Ulta, because not only do you find top brands for makeup, but you find some of the lower brands that are well known. With Ulta you can actually test some of the top brands before you buy to determine if the eyeliner or lip stick works with your complexion. For instance I have problems with eye liners bleeding down, and mid day I look like a racoon because my eyeliner has bled and smeared. So with the help of the Ulta staff I was able to try Urban Decay's Perversion eyeliner that is perfect. It can be used for the so called water line part of your eye. By the end of the day I no longer look like a racoon, and I was able to achieve that without having to buy a extra product such as a primer for the eyes. So I totally recommend Ulta to anyone some people complain that its expensive, but compared to drug stores, or other stores no where you can try the product first, take it home, try it and if you're not happy still bring it back. Now that to me is totally worth it!!!
PINK Society Life L.
Las Vegas, NV
Ok the pros: Sales and samples!! They have sales on items periodically including sometimes on new stuff. Also I like that they give you a lot of gifts with purchase and sample bags when you purchase a certain type or amount of items. However the last time I placed an order including a bag of free samples (for ordering $75) they placed my order and then I got an email a couple of days later saying sorry that bag is sold out and you're not getting it. It really pissed me off because it felt like I got cheated. Also the free samples are not as good as Sephora with no real choice in the matter. A few times I ordered stuff online and they didn't even bother sending me samples. Additionally I don't like going in store. At least the ulta nearest me always seems dirty and picked over and the people working there don't seem very knowledgeable or helpful. I prefer Sephora. That being said my only experiences have been at that one store. Maybe other stores are better.
Emma K.
Oyster Bay, NY
I love ulta. I am currently an employee and as a disclaimer I am not writing this just because I work there. I genuinely love what ulta stands for and wants to do.
First of all, their point system can save you a lot of money on anything in the store. When you have a loyalty card, you earn points for every dollar you spend. Once you get to 100 points you get your first "reward" which is $3 off. The more point you save the more money you get off. I've seen people have 2000 points or more! That's over $150! And yes it's simply free money.
Secondly, we have all things beauty all in one place! From Urban Decay to Maybelline to razors, ulta literally has almost everything. It's not a drugstore but close to an all beauty supply store. They also have a full salon and skin therapy boutique, where you can get facials.
Lastly, Ulta's goal is to provide beauty to everyone in every aspect. We have something for everyone! Lipstick, hairspray, soap, you name it!
Brooke P.
Evansville, IN
The thing i love about ulta is there is something for everyone in there! They have the luxory brands and then they have the drug store brands, they have hair stylers and dryers and deep conditioners, and then they have nail supplies. I mean anything you could want thats beauty related they have! I will say though often times the drug store items are a little bit more expensive in ulta, not much but just enough that ive noticed lately. They have a rewards program which is awesome and they usually have sales once or twice a month. My biggest complain is any ulta that ive walked into the staff is super judgey. They will stray away from you if you dont have nice clothes or nice makeup and stuff on. Its like they are telepathically trying to figure out if youre worth their time or if youll spend enough money there. Ive had one even roll her eyes at me before. But all together i love ulta, i will always go to ulta, ill just ignore the haters lol
Sara S.
Michigan City, IN
I recently went into Ulta for the first time to look for my regular covergirl foundation that I normally buy from walmart. I went into the store because it was next to a store my boyfriend was already going into, and didn't want to have to go all the way to walmart. I didn't even think I would find my brand of make-up and if I did I thought it would be way over-priced. I actually found it and it was on-sale. The associates also helped me pick out the correct shade for my skin tone, and told me I can bring it back if it doesn't work out for me. I have never heard of taking back make-up! I also ended up finding the brand of OGX shampoo and conditioner I normally buy with a lot more variety, and I ended up trying out a new great shampoo that was also on sale! I ended up getting great products and service for less than I would've spent at walmart. I will definitely be going back for my other beauty product needs.
Manasi N.
Cranbury, NJ
I started shopping at Ulta when I was in college. I loved the fact that there was another beauty store in the area other than Sephora. Ulta has the best of both worlds; you can buy high end beauty products and mainstream drugstore brands (which are not sold at Sephora). The layout of the store is great. You can buy makeup, hair care, and tools all in one place. Plus, there is an in house salon for blowouts and brow waxing.

I love the Ultamate Rewards program. Every month, you receive a catalog with a list of sales items. The 21 Days of Beauty might be my favorite event. It's a way to get high end beauty products for up to 50% off for ONE DAY ONLY. I managed to get LaRoche Posay cleanser for $7.50 and there was a BOGO on Clarisonic brush heads.

The sales associates are helpful and friendly. They can help you locate items, give you a mini makeover or order items for you.
ruby g.
San diego, CA
I wish i could love ULTA as much as Sephora, but I really don't. The number 1 reason is because of their store associates. ULTA store associates are never helpful in finding anything in store, even though online it says that the item is in stock. The other day I called to check if an item was in stock and they put me on hold for 25 minutes, until I finally gave up and hung up. They do, however, have a really nice variety of a lot of different brands and makeup products. They are my go-to store for hair products and drugstore items. They also have great coupons and deals a lot of the time! Note: a lot of their coupons can only be used on drugstore items though, the higher end brands are usually excluded from those coupons. Also, drugstore products at ULTA usually cost more than they do at the drugstore, so be sure to use a coupon if you are buying drugstore products!
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?
Lynnsay B.