BY ULTA #1 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Alex S.
CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Don't get me wrong, I love Ulta just as much as the next person, but I have some issues with the locations near me. Now, I do like the wide assortment of brands Ulta carries that fit a variety of preferences and price ranges. They carry some of my favorite brands and products that I can't find anywhere else. I like how the stores are set up, and I find it very helpful how they use a lot of natural lighting and softer artificial lighting that isn't too harsh. (Cough cough SEPHORA). That way, it's easier to tell what the color of certain products would look like in real life situations outside of the store. But unfortunately, the majority of the staff I have encountered were not very helpful. I once asked a sales associate to explain to me the terms and conditions of a coupon I had, because some of the fine print on it seemed contradictory. I trusted her answer because she seemed informed and confident in her statement, but she was incorrect, and it ended up causing me to spend quite a bit more money than I had intended on spending. Also, on a separate occasion, I asked an employee if a certain brand was carried in that location. She said the brand wasn't carried at Ulta at all, but when I checked later, I saw that it was available online and at other locations. Not a big deal or anything, I just didn't appreciate being misinformed. Overall, I have had a lot of pleasant experiences and a few unpleasant ones as well. Ulta is still a great store, but don't count on all of the sales associates to be the most helpful and informed.
Kat J.
TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
I really do love shopping at Ulta... They have some mind-blowing gifts with purchase, including their regular offers of deluxe samples with any purchase whatsoever (compared to Sephora who makes you spend $25 for a deluxe sample). They also have a fantastic rewards system where you can use your points for money off your purchase (whereas Sephora offers more deluxe samples for your points LOL). Ulta has a nice balance of high-end and drug-store makeup, with a large variety of haircare products and accessories. I usually go to the Ulta Salon to get my hair done, because I like the prices and trust the quality. Plus, who doesn't love their "21 Days of Beauty", with their half-priced products and stellar deals for almost a full month? Their customer service is also pretty spectacular,... I recently made a large order and they forgot to include a few samples I was hoping to try. I wasn't super broken up about missing them, but I contacted Ulta anyway to let them know I didn't receive my samples. They sent me a $10 gift card to make up for it. Not too shabby... My only wish (and the reason I only give 4 stars) is that they would expand and carry more brands, and also that they would offer free shipping on any order for Platinum members (I refuse to pay $5.95 shipping for a $5 product, and spending $50 every time to get free shipping just isn't feasible for my budget,... But I am a Platinum member, meaning I spend a good amount of money per year at Ulta, so why not reward me by waiving shipping costs?) Anyway, Ulta is great and I would recommend shopping there.
Suzette G.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Hands down Ulta's reward program sticks out as my favorite.  You get a point for every dollar you spend, and than you get dollars off your whole purchase.  The best part about that which I recently just found out is your points never expire once you're Platinum, and you can just continue to save your points.  I have a little over 4,900 points which equals to approximately $300 off my next purchase.  Every time I go in to get something the associates ask what I'm saving for, but at this point I don't really know.  I do believe the birthday present this year was lacking somewhat; for my November birthday I received a deluxe sample of the It Cosmetics Superhero mascara but last year I received an full size UD eyeshadow which was much better.  However, as a Platinum member I also get a $10 off coupon and double points all month long, which is pretty great.  I pretty much buy all of my cosmetics products here and some of my toiletry items here if they carry them; everything from drugstore brands, and they have many brands, to some high end brands I like such as tarte.  Some of my favorite things about Ulta is they always have a $3.50 off $15 purchase or 20% off one item on the mobile app.  Also, of course their best coupon which is 20% off your entire purchase twice a year, including fragrance.  I tend to stock up on fragrances when they have that coupon of course and staples that are pretty pricey.  Also, they take manufacturer coupons in conjunction with the $3.50 coupon!  I love their coupon policy.  Also, 25 days of Beauty is probably the best time to shop for virtually all brands of makeup and toiletries.  I get my tarte Maracuja Oil for $25 on sale instead of over $40 during the sale every time they have that on promotion.  It lasts me until the next 25 days of Beauty as well.  A few things that I don't really care for about Ulta is their Ulta credit card and sometimes their customer service.  Every single time I shop here they try to get me to apply for their new card and I feel it's unnecessary.  I feel like they should have an option for frequent shoppers that opts you out of being offered it especially because no one wants to be solicited by credit cards when they shop in the same store on average three times a week.  Also, their customer service is very hit or miss; my particular store the managers are very kind, which is great, but their associates are very rude and often talk down to me if I ask questions.  If I ask for something in stock they seem annoyed having to check it and many times when they are out of gifts with purchases they basically act like they don't care and won't substitute it out for something else.  I will always be an Ulta shopper as they have the best promotions, coupons, rewards program, and selection of products, but again, their customer service could definitely improved.  Otherwise, I still rate them as a 5 for being overall the whole package!
Candace H.
Foothill Rnch, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love me some Ulta.  First of all, I love that it's truly a one stop shop.  I like that I can get drugstore items and higher end items (for beauty and hair care all in once place).  Secondly, I find it to be WAY less intimidating than sephora, and the employees are always super willing to help, which I appreciate.  It's so much less pretentious than sephora as well.  Lastly, I love the point system!  That's really what got me coming here rather than sephora.  I like that my points go towards my purchases, rather than stupid free gifts that I NEVER want.  I spend money there because i know that money is ultimately working for me.  I do wish they had a couple higher end brands - but honestly, knowing that I can only get my shape tape there is good enough for me!
Marie N.
Burke
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta is my favorite beauty store that carries multiple brands. I love that they carry both the high end brands and the drugstore brands because I can really find everything I am looking for all in one place. I’ve only had good experiences at Ulta, all the employees have been kind and helpful. I recently had my birthday and went to pick up my birthday gift, something went a bit wrong but they helped me fix it quickly and explained what had happened. I also love that Ulta has a really amazing rewards program. You can get points on anything which includes all the hair products and skincare, and makeup and nail polish. It’s basically the department store of makeup and it’s amazing.
Megan O.
ALBUQUERQUE, NM
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love Ulta so much as a store. I love the reward program because I can use my points as cash which is really fantastic because then I don't have to choose out of samples that I won't like. I also like that they have large displays compared to some of the ones at Sephora. I tend to have a better time getting makeup products at Ulta then it's Sephora as well. The only thing I don't like is that Ulta does not hire employees who are makeup artist for the makeup section. It would be nice to have employees who can show you how to apply makeup base to your eye shape or how to use certain products that you may not have used previously like gel liners that need to be applied with a brush.
Ally G.
Beauty Junkie Expert
First off, I absolutely adore Ulta. My #giftcrush would be almost anything from this store. Their selection of products is amazing and the shelves are restocked frequently. Having been to multiple locations, my experience with the staff has been 100% positive. Another thing to note is that they carry both drugstore brands and high end makeup for affordable prices. Also, they do send out a fair amount of coupons throughout the year if you are a member of their newsletter. In addition, if you download the app you will receive more exclusive offers along with free samples and gifts with qualifying purchases. Overall, this store is amazing and definitely worth a shot.
Lacee L.
Gonzales , LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love Ulta and the beauty rewards program! I have been a platinum member for the last few years. This store has hair and beauty products in all prices. They carry drugstore brands as well as higher end makeup!
Then you can use your points for money off of your next purchase. If you are platinum the points never expire and I save mine up. Then I can get a new item I have to have completely free!
Heather P.
Tampa, FL
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ultastore. I love the variety of products all in one place. I also love the rewards program. The coupons for 20% off including prestige brands and fragrance come out a few times a year. I just recently became a #platinummember . Which means points accumulate faster, more sales, better discounts etc... ulta is a dangerous place to go if you are trying to save money. My only reason for a 4 star review, and not 5 is because I have encountered store employees who were not helpful at all and even rude (just once) and when they advertise free gift with purchase or birthday month gift they are sometimes out of stock which means too bad for you. I recently had an experience that I made an it cosmetics purchase, which qualified for 5x points according to their email offer. The store did not reward me those points in my receipt. I called customer service, and within minutes I had all my points. They were polite, efficient, quick and helpful. Overall, I almost always shop at Ulta, rarely at Sephora or drugstore. I just wish Ulta carried hourglass mineral veil primer and Laura mercier primers. I really wanted to try them out! ❤ ️
Kristen C.
Newark, DE
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ulta is my go to for when I want higher end or drug store. They seem to have everything and I love the sales they have. I just wish our store had ELF and Wet n Wild in store too. I know they only have so much room but I'd buy SO much if they did! They do have excellent sale, however with their days of beauty and I stock up on the Ulta brand lippies when they're 3$ I love their point system, too! My local store is amazing, the employees are just so sweet and always trying to help, super social and love to chat about what they're wearing, never try to push sales and happy to help you out.
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Lynnsay B.
Pekin, IN
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?