BY ULTA #1 in Cosmetics & Beauty Stores

• Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?457 Answers
  • I have debated about going to Ulta. I have never been in any type...6 Answers
Natasha L.
N Las Vegas, NV
Ulta is my #1 place where I purchase makeup. The perks make me feel like a valued platinum member, but even when I was just a regular rewards member I also felt the love. I absolutely love how your points at this store never expire, and can be redeemed as in-store credit. It's like getting more money for purchasing makeup... to spend on more makeup! Haha. There are times where you can get 3x or 5x the points too when purchasing a certain brand's products. Platinum members also get a sale at the end of the year that is 20% off EVERYTHING. On top of that, a few times a year they do the same thing, 20% off everything (except fragrances). There's also times in the month where there's a certain item every day of the month that is about half off its original price. Pretty awesome. Those usually ship free online during those sales. Although, to reach free shipping online for regular sales, you'd have to spend $50+. There ARE times where the minimum for free shipping is $35. This past year, Ulta has included more prestige brands like NARS. They even have drugstore brands so you can get points for those as well. I absolutely love the customer service at Ulta. They reply as soon as possible and fix the issue right away. It's never a problem returning an item at a store whether it was bought at another store or online, just as long as you have the receipt of course. Sometimes Ulta gives free gifts along with purchases which is pretty nice in my opinion. I just got a free robe for ordering perfume. Overall, Ulta has been really good to me. Don't forget, you get a birthday gift on your birthday as well! Plus a coupon. Oh, and if you invite someone to sign up for the rewards program and they start using their account- you AND your friend get $10 in credit (off of a purchase of $25) to spend on ANYTHING. :)
Emily C.
Johnson City, TN
Ulta is an awesome place to shop for makeup for the simple fact that they have such a huge selection and variety to choose from.

First off, they have enough high end makeup to satisfy anyone's expensive tastes. While their high end makeup does lack some brands (i.e. Nars and Bobbi Brown to name a few) but their brand selection is still pretty good so its not like you miss those brands a whole lot.

What few mid-high end brands Ulta doesn't carry, they more than make up for with their wide selection of drugstore makeup and I would say most Ulta shoppers wouldn't disagree when I say most importantly: NYX brand makeup. They have everything your local Walmart, Target, etc. has and WAAAAY more in their drugstore section.

On top of this, the stores have a salon and brow bar inside and they offer a full range of services.

The store also carries hair products, some high end and some drugstore quality and in my personal experience if you go check out the clearance section in the shampoos and conditioners you can get some really nice shampoo and condition on the low.

And that leads me to my final point. Ulta has awesome sales and a killer rewards program. You get points for each purchase you make which can be redeemed later for money off ANY purchase you make, including that new $50 eyeshadow palette you've been dying to get your hands on. Plus they have a clearance section where you can find awesome deals.
Rebecca P.
Biddeford, ME
Being new with makeup and working on a modeling portfolio, I stopped in to my nearby Ulta to look for specific items and a few suggestions. Unfortunately their staff is mostly unhelpful. No one seemed to understand what eye primer was but could easily recommend a contour pallette that was popular. I eventually found some primer to try out and purchased the pallette, the Anastacia light to medium, which by the way was way too dark for my skin, so the employee didn't take my skin tone into consideration. The training is very lacking. I don't expect everyone that works for them to be professional make up artists but at least be knowledgeable in products and how to assist customers

Overall though, the store has an amazing collection of items and you can always find something you need. That's where Ulta really shines. Everything is organized by brand, which is a bit tricky if you are looking for just a type of product, but if you're a fan of a specific one, it's great having all the products in one place so you can see things you haven't tried yet. The price range is great as well. Most of the time I buy things for certain photoshoots in mind, so I don't get much use out of some of it. I like having the choice of buying cheaper options while having access to the better quality stuff I'll get to fill out my necessities.

andrea q.
Medley, FL
I decided to check it out one day and I have to say I've loved it ever since. Both online and in my local store are such great experiences, the website is easy to follow and navigate through, so many options and deals all the time, so does the actual store itself. I wear only one typical brand of hair product and I was disappointed my local drug store has such a small selection, but going into ULTA the first time I couldn't believe how many they had! Not only do they have high end brands but they also have drug store brands, which I like. I'm a little sad they don't carry E.L.F products and a very small selection of Yes To products but it's no big deal. I can find them at Walmart. I signed up for the Ulta's rewards program, and so far I think it's ok, I don't like how the points expire after a month unless you're platinum. Like every rewards program, the more money you spend the more points you get which can then be added to reduce the price or total at checkout. I prefer this store over Sephora, it's less intimidating, I don't like how the employees always ask me questions and make me feel like I don't belong in there just based on how well their makeup is, and how mine isn't. I don't like how far Ulta is from my house but it's not the companies fault. The drive is so worth it.
Pamela B.
Lufkin, TX
IT Your Skin But Better CC Cream SPF 50 is absolutely awesome. It my new holy grail product for foundation. It is EVERYTHING; it's what I've been looking for for years. I have wanted a foundation that did something FOR my skin, rather than just sit there on the skin of my face for 12 hours of my day. I always thought, why can't it contain some things that are good for my skin, that can help my skin during the time I wear it!? Well, now I've found it, because IT CC Cream w/SPF 50 has good things in it in spades! The FDA has officially declared sunscreen to be anti-aging, scientifically. IT CC Cream has an SPF of 50. YOU won't find that anywhere very often. It also has a lot of vitamins, and peptides, and other things that are really good for your skin. And, these things are working in your skin to protect and repair all the time you're wearing your IT CC Cream. I think that's great. It also has very good coverage, and, because it's your moisturizer and your SPF, there's TWO steps you can skip in your routine of getting ready! More I love about it. It's only con is that the color range is so limited. That - I hate. IT Cosmetics should be ashamed. That is why I only gave it 4 stars. But, other than that, the product is great.
Michelle R.
This is my go-to store for purchasing or exploring prestigious makeup brands! There are two locations nearby that always have what I'm looking for. My fiance even buys his beard care products there, always on sale. I frequently order online if I want an online exclusive item or qualify for the free shipping. I LOVE the gifts that are offered with some purchases, that is one thing that Ulta has all other cosmetic stores beat on for sure which isn't important but it is very appreciated. I have gotten to sample a variety of high end products before purchasing and unlike Sephora's container samples, can gift some to friends. They also offer a free gift for your birthday. Around the holidays they offer the BEST limited edition gift kits on my favorite brands that are so hard to pass up! I got about 7 this year alone and love them all, no regrets. They also offer coupons and have some unbelievable sales year-round, including buy one get one or buy two get two. My favorites are days where specific products are on sale for half off or less which is perfect when it is something you were already wanting. Not to mention you can earn rewards points on every purchase. Every beauty lover should try Ulta!
Stephany M.
Charlotte, NC
Ulta is my go-to for beauty products! I love their variety of products, their rewards system, and their sales!
First, let's talk about their rewards program. I have been a Platinum rewards member for a couple years and the perks are so worth it! I like the frequent 20% off entire purchase coupons, which includes prestige brands and fragrance most times. I also like the Platinum first looks at products and availability before launches! Frequently, sales are available to us ahead of time, or only for Platinum members!
Now the best part of all this? POINTS EQUAL MONEY OFF YOUR PURCHASES, NO MATTER THE PRODUCT! I generally save up points until Christmas so I can get more presents for less! My only wish is that Ulta would give free shipping for the year to Platinum members, like Sephora does for VIB Rouge.
One of my other favorite things about Ulta is the variety products and brands you can find there. You can get almost all of your beauty products in one place!
If you haven't shopped at Ulta because you're in a relationship with Sephora, you might want to take a break from that! Ulta is where it's at!
Jo Anne R.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH
I'll start by saying, at first I was goinv to give ULTA 4 stars but, this review is about MY experience. I've read alot of reviews of unhappy customers but, that hasn't been my experiencd. I'm new to ULTA. so far, I've visited my local Stow/Kent Ohio store, made several big ticket item purchases for myself and gifts and was treated very well at the store. The head clerk was very helpful on my birthday and helped me get the birthday gift, Moon Dust eye shadow. She was super! Her name is Janet. I also used the hair salon and my stylist Shaneece, did an excellent job, cuttinv off my waist length hair intoa short grungy cut. And, she used a great, REDKIN 3D dark brown hair color. My hair turned out sweet. She really knew what she was doing and made me feel very comfortable. I will be returning every 6 to 8 weeks for her to keep my new hair style looking fresh. I had a consultation with Shaneece, 2.5 weeks before my appointment so, we both knew, what to expect. I'm happy with my Local ULTA STORE and plan on lots of future return visits. Front of store AND salon..
Alexandra P.
Chapel Hill, NC
I love shopping at Ulta! I actually prefer it to other stores because it is generally less crowded/more open than other makeup stores and I feel that the employees are there to help when I need it but aren't constantly watching or asking me things. They have a great selection of both high-end and drugstore makeup, which I love because I can find pretty much anything I need in one place. he only drawback that I can think of is that they might not carry every single brand that you might find at Sephora, so if you're looking for something super specific and more rare, it might be better to call and see if it's something they carry (although I've never personally had an issue with this). Additionally, they're always having some kind of sale or offer, especially on the drugstore brands. They always have a coupon in their weekly add, which I've found to be more rewarding than the rewards systems at other makeup stores. Overall, I prefer coming to Ulta and would highly recommend shopping here for anything makeup or beauty related!
Amanda W.
ULTA is one of my top beauty retail stores to shop at!! Their point system sounds like you may never get to those rewards, but if you purchase makeup, hair or anything beauty very often, you will definitely get those rewards!! I've got 2000 points right now, which gives me $125 to spend on free product!!! WHOA!! They have offers all the time to activate multiplier coupons where you get 5x the pointswhen buying certain products/brands. Only thing is, to make it to platinum level, you have to spend $450, not just get 450 points. But like I said, If youre someone who is always buying beauty products, either for yourself, for gifts, for blog reviews or youtube videos... id suggest checking out ULTA to get those rewards!! The staff in my local stores are super friendly and already know me when I walk in. My only issue is shopping online, it seems as if there is ALWAYS an issue with my online orders so for now I'm just going to shop in store (mind you, i have to drag my toddler along) and not have to deal with any issues!
Yazemin S.
Arlington , TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
Which store is better to buy makeup Ulta or Sephora?
Jessica H.
The Village, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your experience been like with customer service at Ulta? Good, bad?
Chelsey C.
Green Bay, WI
Marie T.
Avondale, LA
Beauty Junkie Expert
What's your favorite makeup brand(s) from Ulta?
Lynnsay B.