BY TURO #8 in Rental Car Companies

Turo is a car sharing marketplace that allows private car owners the ability to rent out their vehicles via an online and mobile interface.

Find the perfectcarfor your next adventure, or make extra money by renting out yourcarthroughTuro. List yourcarfor free in minutes.

• Has anyone tried this service? How does it compare to usi...2 Answers
member-08393
Always wanted to rent your neighbors Porsche for the day? Be prepared to drop $250 on a luxury wash, wax and detail before return. Or you could be slammed with fees up to $250, like me, on a crappy 2013 smart for 2...My experience was this. Upon returning a smartfor2 after a 7 day rental (6 because it sat in my driveway one day refusing to start), the owner reviewed the car, gave me 5 stars and said Ciao. Two days later I got an email from Turo explaining i owed $250 in cleaning fees. The pictures claim ash in the car, but they are simply bits of dirt or dust that was leftover from the day and drive back to his condo 10 miles from my neighborhood. Prior to return I washed the car for $30 and hand vaccumed. I even left car wipes in the car because I bought them to wipe his vehicle down and had no further need for them. The owner submitted a cleaning receipt of $230 from a high end hand wash, wax and detail car wash! So Turo says I owe them $250!
Like wtf!!! I'm not paying for this guy to take his teeny weeny smart for two to a high end car wash! Turo's email says I may dispute the charges, or if I decide to simply pay, they offer payment plans. So kind! I got a feeling and blocked my credit card they had on file, and emailed them back saying I wanted to dispute. I explained I don't smoke weed, had washed the car vaccumed etc.. Turo emailed me back, AFTER attempting to charge my card the full $250 WITHOUT CONSENT, saying I have no dispute process since I have no pictures! I told Turo there was no way I was paying for this guy to get his car washed and detailed at a luxury car wash! Then the threats of collections began. I began to receive emails saying if I didn't pay up they would send my bill to collections.
A couple days later I got another email saying the owner submitted proof that I drove 83 miles over my limit of 380 miles. First of all, there is no way in hell I drove 380 miles doing errands in my neighborhood and getting to work ( I had an accident and lost my car, needed a transitional car), especially when the car sat in my freakin driveway after refusing to start for a day (Turo also would not refund me for the day, or the week for that matter, when I requested. So if you get a bum car you're in the hole). Let alone drive 440+miles in a week. There is just no way.
The evidence pictures uploaded by the owner show the odometer time reading 6pm and 2am. My pickup and dropoff time was 11am, so theoretically, the odomenter should read the same time, albiet incorrect if in fact he didn't decide to go for a nice joyride, racking up the miles before trying to drain my account another $250. I pointed all this out to Turo and requested they contact Eugene for screenshots to prove the date and time. They refused and said the original pictures were evidence enough. Turo seems to only care about digging into your account. They'll take any profit over client retention.
The trip for 6 days was supposed to be $192.00. After Turo fees, this rental would have been $710.18... for a week. You do the math!
The big problem here is Turo bully tactics to scare people into paying whatever fees they claim against the renter. I met with my lawyer who explained what Turo would need to lawfully sell this 'debt' to collections, and that is due process. Could you imagine a world where anyone could claim a debt against you and send it to collections? They have been sent a cease and desist letter. If I hear from some questionable collections agency, we will see them in court.Know your rights and if you get harassment letters and threats of collections without hearing YOU or due process get a lawyer. Or better yet, avoid this company at all costs.
Shannon D.
Denver
Do not use this for car rental.  It was a terrible experience from the start and just got worse.  I reserved a car and I had to take a lyft to get to the car or pay $120 to have them pick me up at the airport.  I took a lyft the address in hoodville.  It was so scary that I asked the lyft driver to wait for me.  I went to the house and asked for Amber who was not there.  I asked if I was in the right place and they said yes.  Just take the car you signed up for the keys are in it.  Then I get a call the next morning that I was suppose to have the car back at 4am, I was like no it was 4pm.  I did double check and this was my error.  However, they assured me it was ok and to have it back by 4, which I did.  Then amber texted message me letting me know that she gave me a 5 star review because I communicated the situation to her and asked me to return the favor.  Which I was more then happy to do, since I had clearly made an error.  Only to get a nice email from TURO letting me know that I would be charged a $200 late return fee and another $25 fee.  I emailed back to let them know that I had worked it out with Amber and they said she would have to email to have the charge reversed.  I texted her and surprise surprise she never emailed me back.  SO, please just go to a regular car rental.  It is not worth the stress!!  Lesson learned.
Sharmese B.
I tried renting from the the very first time and they took the money off my card and then canceled the car an hour before I was Scheduled to go pick it up. I was so upset and it took for me to call for them to tell me oh yeah we canceled it then refunded the money. I feel like I shouldn’t have to call no company to refund me no money when they canceled the service. Also what really got me mad was because not only did they cancel it they couldn’t even tell me why. They said they had there reasons on why they didn’t want me to rent at the time but couldn’t give me the reason for safety reasons. I’ve never been in an accident and I had my license for over 3years. I also met all the qualifications so I felt it was complete bs how they treated me. Eventually I gave up but it worked when my friend did it so it worked out. It’s cheap and the car was decent. I just don’t like how they don’t try to explain things to customers or they give reasons as to why they do what they do. And it’s hard as hell to get through to speak to a representative.
Vivian H.
San Jose, CA
This service was great! We were easily able to create an account on the Turo iOS app and find several cars that would work for us. We picked one that had good ratings. The communication with the owner was so easy and he responded quickly. I'm sure there may be some owners who aren't as quick, but the car that I picked was rented out by someone who was considering this a business and had a fleet of cars available. We chose delivery option, which we weren't sure what that is. It maybe different for each owner, so I would double check before renting and choosing that option. But for me, it was so cool. They brought me the car, we went around it, took pictures, got a picture of the mileage and marked all that on a form and then they just left us with the car. So simple! When they picked up the car it was super simple as well. We just told them where to get it (different location than the drop off) and they came right on time, talked for us for a few minutes, we got the mileage picture and off they went! So simple!!
Keri P.
Glendale, CA
I used them in Salt Lake City for Sundance this past year. First of all, the person that I rented the car from was lovely and helpful and wonderful. The customer service and the company itself is complete and utter chaos. I needed a four wheel drive for the festival because of where I was staying in the mountains. The car I rented was clearly labeled in that section if their website and marked as an AWD. When we arrived, the car was clearly Fwd. He had chains for us but was a pretty useless car for us because we couldn’t reach the place we were staying. Thankfully, we were able to crash in a person’s guest room at the bottom of the mountain but we were highly disappointed in the entire service. Plus, trying to get a hold of the company was a joke. Couldn’t reach a live person to save our lives. We had to take the hit and pay anyways but it really ruined our vacation. Will never use turo again.
Bianca C.
Tacoma, WA
Reserved and paid for a car, and was in contact with the host before my flight and after. I used Turo to rent out my car and this was going to be my first time as a customer. I landed a bit later than anticipated and told the host I just landed and will be heading to the vehicle which I requested to be at the airport. After trying to reach out to the host in order to find the vehicle, he said it was 7 miles from the airport and didn’t give directions on how or get there. The next 5 mins later the host cancelled the trip because I couldn’t find the vehicle. The host said he already picked up the vehicle and I could no longer rent. I reached out to Turo various times and was stuck at the airport for 2 hours trying to work things out with out. So for the duration of my vacation I didn’t have a vehicle and ended up taking an Uber. After multiple phone calls and email to Turo during my vacation, it was finally resolved after I returned from my trip and had to threaten to talk to an attorney to receive my money back from the rental.
Nabil I.
Used Turo to rent a 2014 Ford Mustang in California. I’m from New York and tbh I really enjoyed the car over there in west coast with the top down. And my host was also very friendly and accommodating. Faced NO problems receiving and returning the vehicle. The car itself was in great shape. All I had to do is refuel and drive. Would love to rent again from Turo.
Cameron M.
Bakersfield
I knew nothing about Turo until somehow it showed up while searching for a rental car. I was looking for a good deal on a rental car, and Turo was the solution. I saved over $150 using Turo, and the experience was excellent. I was met at airport with the vehicle, the owner was flexible as our plane flight was delayed an hour, and delivery back to owner was smooth. Even with the learning curve it was even better than using a typical rental company.
Danny S.
Spring
I used Turo for the first time 6-9/6-10.  I had no problems, actually was truly impressed.  I chose the basic insurance coverage, but decided to go with premium.  The representative emailed me, but I still couldn't get it changed.  Then I saw where they have "chat".  Within 5 minutes I had changed the insurance.  The renter was the best and we have "promised" to definitely use him in the future for more rentals.  Thanks Oliver!!
Lacee H.
Chicago
We had a minor accident when someone hit our rental with a car door as we turned a corner.  Absolutely no visible damage was done but we later found the side mirror loose.  We reported it to the owner and he agreed to work costs with us personally as long as he didn't have to chase us. We explained we'd happily pay over 3 months for $300 and he gives us a day.  We keep in contact with him and decide to borrow cash to pay him immediately for everyone's comfort.  He was agreeable but later backs out without telling us to report to Turo directly who charges $500 as a deposit.  Was he trying to pull a fast one? We just wanted to travel cheap and light for a quick weekend but of course humans only want to capitalize.
Turo, as a company modeled for inexpensive trips, you should charge less for deposit.
Amy S.
Staff
Has anyone tried this service? How does it compare to using a traditional car rental company like Enterprise?