Trupanion

by Trupanion

Looking at Pet Insurance and it is overwhelming! Is True Companion one to consider? Would love to hear any feedback from those that use this insurance company. Thank you!
What sort of procedures does this insurance cover? I’ve thought about getting some for my dog but am on the fence.
I use nationwide... how is it different?
Start your review of Trupanion!
How would you rate this product?
member-19f76
Trupanion Pet Insurance - Everything is deemed pre-existing. I have a cute little black pug. Pugs are one of those brachycephalic breeds of which there are many. One of the abnormalities of being brachycephalic is stenotic nares (their nostrils are really small and close together). When I got my dog at 8 weeks I immediately took him to the vet for a checkup and to start that relationship going. The doctor noted that being a pug he could develop stenotic nares. The vet recommended Trupanion. Didn't know at the time that Vets get money for customers that they get to sign up for Trupanion.w He was 100% healthy. A week later I signed up for pet insurance through Trupanion. Fast forward two years and my dog is now having problems breathing and needs to have elongated soft palate reduction surgery and that I should probably have his nostrils enlarged. I submitted a claim. Trupanion denied it because the doctor noted that he could develop stenotic flares being a pug and all. They state that it's a "pre-existing condition" that existed within the 30 days before I got insurance. He was born with it. This is even though he had no clinical signs or problems as a result of the condition. You can be assured that, even with the full support of your pet's own veterinarian, your claim will be labeled a "pre-existing condition". The Trupanion vets and diagnosticians completely dismissed the medical opinions of my pet's own veterinarian. Her letters and communications were rational, logical, ethical, and requested that my claim be honored (for a one time surgery which will cost many two thousand dollars) - only I can't afford that so my dog will continue to suffer and the action of just breathing will continue to get worse when he could have easily lived a long and painless life if Trupanion had approved any type of treatment. He's two years old. They did make sure to take $60.00 from my checking account the very same day my claim was denied however. Trupanion's policies seem to be crafted and worded to support denial of many claims. They are selling not only pet insurance, but the assurance for pet owners that expensive chronic conditions will be covered (at 90%). This allows many of us to afford a pet or a rescue pet even if we don't have thousands of dollars extra per month to pay for vet bills. The assurances are false. I believe that Trupanion generates framed "success stories" which veterinarians display in exam rooms. These include one that touts payment for a brachycephalic related surgery. Obviously this a pre-existing condition that the puppy was born with, and Trupanion advertises full coverage for corrective surgery of this condition. These ads influenced my decision to purchase Trupanion pet insurance. Brachycephalic surgeries (including soft palate reduction and stenotic nares elargement) is regularly and successfully treated by vets, but it costs money. Trupanion is flooding the market with assurances and evidences of coverage, when this isn't going to happen. Their mission isn't providing necessary medical coverage for chronic pet conditions, but simply making money.
Dee H.
Brookline, MA
I have used Trupanion for my cat since he was a kitten. He just turned 6 years old, and we have had Trupanion through it all. I highly recommend this pet insurance. The monthly premiums are reasonable and they have all sorts of tiers and plans for different deductibles to fit your needs. The insurance is straight-forward with regard to forms and claims and most veterinary offices are familiar with the company. The list of things they do and do not cover is fully explained before you sign up so there are no surprises. (They dont usually cover wellness visits or checkups, which is not ideal, but they cover so much of the heavier bills and expenses if you run into a medical or health issue with your furry friend.) I have had to use this insurance for issues large and small over 6 years, and have had an excellent experience each time. Highly recommend.
Jimi A.
Weehawken , NJ
Although they don’t cover all the little stuff they are sure to be there when times get rough. Vet bills can be extremely expensive but with Trupanion they can help minimize the stress and allow you to focus on your (child) pet
Amanda C.
Locust Grove, GA
We recommend Trupanion at the Vet Clinic where I work. We have plenty of clients who use this pet insurance and they all are very happy with it. When we have to deal with their customer support when we send in reports, everyone is very kind and knowledgeable. Pet insurance is a must in my opinion, and Trupanion is one of the best.
Cindy V.
San Jose, CA
I love my English Bulldog. He means the world to me and his health is what an English Bulldog are prone too. He has dealt with skin allergies/issues both environmental and hereditary, luxicating patella, arthritis, torn ACL, and ear infections to name a few. I signed/insured him up with Trupanion & have reached my deductibles so covers 90% off his met treatment. I don't give em 5 stars because my the price of his insurance seems to rise after a year. I would like a stable price not one that increases. They don't cover vet visits or basic meds like heartworm pills or flea control.
Erika M.
Manteca, CA
Love trupanion as an insurance but hate that they raise their fees every year!! I feel like it should be a fixed rate not an increase as you stay a customer.
Melissa C.
Bronx, NY
I have had a long history with Trupanion and I can honestly  say they are a great pet insurance company! The price is fair and they cover everything! The key is you MUST do this as soon as you get your dog. If you wait until they are older nothing will get covered as it will be seen as a preexisting condition. I got it for my two dogs now and they have been covered since they were 10 weeks old. Best thing I ever did. You may not think you need it but trust me you will be glad you got it once you have a sick pet!
Kimberly B.
Oak harbor, WA
Trupanion has been Awsome for both of my dogs they are easy to set up and also easy to cancel or adjust monthly plans. They pay up to 90% of pet vet costs only downside is for most occasions you pay the vet and then send them your receipt to get reimbursed but their staff is Awsome and very helpful
Erin L.
Trupanion is a great pet insurance company.  My claims have been paid very quickly and it's a very simple process to send one in.  I love the deductible per condition.  If your dog has chronic ear infections this will save you a TON of money!  Plus when you sign up you get locked in at the rate for your pet's current age.  So if you enroll as a puppy you will always pay the puppy price for your breed.  My only complaint with Trupanion is that my most recent premium increase was an increase of 20%!  Knowing that I will never have to make a medical decision for my dog based on money is worth it though.
Kai K.
Our vet recommended pet insurance for our specialty breed of dog just because she knew eventually we would need it. Within a month of getting our dog, she got an eye infection and we needed to use Trupanion. It was easy to submit a claim and customer service was easy to get ahold of.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...