Too Faced Better Than Sex MascaraInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2017

BY TOO FACED #13 in Mascara

Created during a holy grail quest to find a truly buildable mascara, Better Than Sex provides extreme volume and a more dramatic look with each coat. One coat of the carbon black, collagen-fueled formula and lashes are full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths. Two coats and lashes are even more luscious, curled, and dramatic. Three coats and achieve the most intense black, oversized, multidimensional lashes possible! The Hourglass-Shaped brush unlocks the formula to create the perfect mascara that volumizes, lifts and coats both tops and bottoms of every little lash—with no lash left behind. A mascara so amazing…it’s Better Than Sex!

Details:

• 93% saw base-to-tip curl**
  • 8 out of 10 say it’s the best mascara they’ve ever used**
  • 3.4 out of 10 say great lashes are better than sex**
  • 3.1 out of 10 agree that this mascara is so good, it’s better than sex**
  • *results observed in an in vitro study
  • **results observed in a consumer study.

Water/aqua/eau, Synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Butylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Cera Carnauba/Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de carnauba, Aminomethyl Propanol, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Polyester-11, PVP, Cellulose, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Acacia Senegal Gum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Dextran, Acetyl Hexapeptide-1. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Black 2 (CI 77266), Ultramarines (CI 77007). *Vegan-friendly *Formulated without parabens

• I'm interested in this mascara since I've seen it on youtube in a...611 Answers
  • What do y'all think about this mascara? Too Faced Better Than Sex...34 Answers
  • I've been looking for a new mascara. Is this truly better then se...277 Answers
Reviews (42067)
Buy on Sephora*
Brida F.
Seattle, WA
I know I'm probably THE last person in the beauty community to jump on this particular band wagon, but OH. MY. GOODNESS. I'm a convert! This little beauty, Too Better Than Sex mascara, came with my gorgeous new friend, the White Chocolate Bar, as a free gift. And what a gift she is. I tried it for the first time this morning and, as usual on morning where we are going out, it was hectic getting an 18month old washed, fed, dressed AND entertained whilst we were getting ready ourselves. THIS is my new mama's helper! Recently I've been spending what seems like an eternity on my lashes in the morning because all 3 of the mascaras I had on the go were on their last legs. This morning, I kid you not, ONE SWIPE and BOOM! I always think the "one coat" claims are BS but I swear not in this case. My lashes seemee to have curled themselves and were completely covered and long and black and separate in ONE COAT. No lie. And the bottom lashes turned out perfectly as well. I am honestly beyond impressed with this mascara. My husband thought I had lashes on! I am 100% sold on this. L'oréal Telescopic Carbon Black in still the best mascara you can get in the drugstore - but this is the best mascara you can get over all. And I am FUSSY about mascara, seriously. I have found three in my life that I actually like (the L'oréal one, Benefit Roller Lash & now this one), and many I would refuse to use at all. I don't have enough words to praise this mascara. The hype is real - I am absolutely shook! Is it better than sex? That's subjective. But it's certainly better than any other mascara.
Shawna-Liberty C.
I'm torn. I have really long, thin very light (almost transparent) blonde lashes but a lot of them. I have myself on a budget for fiscal discipline. I don't aimlessly shop or hoard. I do not allow myself to fall for "beauty guru" hyperbole as an informed consumer. That said:
I received a "free" deluxe travel-sized tube of this from Ulta. I fell in love with the formula after the first week of use. It didn't smear, cake or clump on me with my method of application. I did not like the brush because it is TOO large at the end to effectively reach the lashes at the corner of the eyes and lower lashes without getting mascara EVERYWHERE. I was so impressed with the formula, I purchased the full-sized after a month. I loved the tube it came it but it came with some problems.
My preferred method of applying this is to focus the volume of product on the base of the lash and leave the tips of the eyelashes bare until I've applied the last coat. DO NOT LET DRY in between coats and comb/brush lashes while they are still wet. The formula is wet leaning so slightly to the dry side. I have considered reviews complaining that this mascara "doesn't hold a curl" or straightens their lashes: yes, it will do that if you pile it on at the tips of your lashes in an attempt to make them appear longer because you have made your structure top heavy with a crap foundation; it will fall. Many other reviewers have complained about flaking: yes, this will happened if you comb through or brush your lashes AFTER the product has dried or if you pile on coat after coat of product let it dry inbetween coats. I knocked off two stars for the brush and longevity of the full-sized product.The brush is just impractical and gimmick-y. I get it : an hourglass sexy shape meant to be curvy like the ideal woman's body. It does an injustice to the product because it is a time consuming struggle to apply this to the lower lashes and corner lashes without getting product EVERYWHERE.However, I liked the formula and was willing to look past this.
The full-sized packaging is great: the wand it weighted which steadies my hand for application. However, the plunger does not wipe off enough product. Ever vigilant to get the most out of my product, I'd wipe off the generous excess onto a coffee filter instead of edge of the opening to keep the excess product from drying and crumbling back into the tube and making a clumpy-dried mess of the product. I paid $23 USD for this product and I want my money's worth. Even with these attempts, the full sized tube dried up in 2 months. The travel sized was still going strong at the time of my using it up ~3 months. The plunger wipes off more product and I think keeps air from getting in there.
If I were to repurchase this again, I'd get the travel sized even though I do like the weighted wand of the full sized one. The brush is horrible but I can work with it when I have the time to mess with other spoolies. I have not decided at the time of this writing if I will repurchase.
Jenny S.
El Dorado Spg, MO
I'm right in the middle on whether I am sold on this product or not... I buy just as much drugstore products as I do luxury products because I do believe that drugstore products are catching up to the luxury ones in some areas. This being said, I first received a sample of this mascara when I ordered the Too Faced Peach Perfect Foundation. The sample has a short wand, of course, so it made it difficult to apply, but I was wowed at how amazing it made my lashes look, so I ordered a full sized product of this when Too Faced was having a sale.. I got it for $13 I believe. Once I began using the full sized products, I began to definitely form an opinion on it.
The packaging is very quality and the handle is weighted, making my hand steadier when applying. When removing the wand though, the plunger does not wipe off enough product, which results in me having to wipe quite a bit off myself EVERY time I dip the plunger in. Also, the brush is much too large. It is great when applying to just the upper lashes, but it is nearly impossible to apply any in the corners or on the bottom lashes without clumping your eyelashes or making a mess. Because of this, I have to use a different mascara for the corners and bottom lashes.
This formula is nice, and it makes my lashes appear so amazingly long. I have blonde eyelashes that are probably more on the longer length of the spectrum. This mascara coats my lashes in two coats tops, which is very nice. It is a beautiful shade of black and makes my eyes look amazing... I just wish the brush had a smaller tip and that I did not have to wipe off excess every time I remove the plunger.
I've been using this product for only about 3 months, so I'm not able to review how long it lasts in the tube.
I would not pay full price for this item, but if I came across another sale, I would probably buy again.
Cíara N.
Washington, DC
I was fiercely loyal to Benefit's They're REAL! mascara for years (still a classic). I would never buy anything else, because I've had many mascara hiccups over the years. My lashes are naturally long and curly, but the ends are blonde, which can make them appear shorter and more sparse than they actually are. Drugstore brands never did the trick for me, always clumping and trying to further curl my curly lashes and flaking off at the tips. However, I did get mascara samples from my ipsy subscription, which is where I first encountered Better Than Sex. I was out of Benefit (using the brush in a drug store tube, because I LOVED the brush), so I decided to give it a go. I was skeptical about the brush, because my best successes have been with plastic brushes like They're REAL. However, I was floored by the results. The formula would last all day, and my eyelashes were thick, long, and a stark black. The brush hit almost all of my lashes, and I was able to apply to my inner eye with only a little maneuvering. (Full disclosure, They're Real is better at getting the inner lashes). All I needed was one coat to be brought to lash heaven. This is my #1 mascara of all time, with They're Real a close second. Recommend to everybody!
Aanchal K.
Bethpage, NY
When I first received this mascara in my playbox, I was excited. I've heard so many people talk about Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, and have also heard about the dupes! I wasn't into mascara when I received it, and when I used it I wasn't too impressed. It was clumpy and made my lashes big, dark and long. At the time, I didn't realize that long, big, dark lashes is what I actually wanted, and that was what people wanted from mascara. Now, that I've started liking and appreciating mascara more, I love this product.

The brush is kind of fat compared to other mascaras but it works. It sort of fits the shape of your eye, but obviously- be careful when applying. It coats almost all your eyelashes in 2-3 swipes and does a great job. Sometimes it can be excessive and clumpy but a good quick fix is to either use a regular plain mascara wand to clean it up, or an eyelash comb to get rid of the clumps. I also like to mix this mascara with a smash box mascara. I use Too faced first and then clean out the clumps while adding definition and length with It Cosmetics Superhero mascara. Highly recommend both together. If you put enough mascara on, you don't really need other eye make up eyeliner, which is pretty awesome for me!
Julia H.
Midland, MI
honestly this mascara does really live up to its reputation. it's so nice and adds so much volume. i origionally bought this mascara because i had been using multiple lengthening mascaras, and those did nothing for the volume of my mascara (not that they would), but it felt like they were making my eyelashes little and skinnier. I tried this mascara and instantly my lashes were so much longer. it just sucks that this one is hard to combine with other mascaras, because i just want LONG AND THICK.
my problem with this mascara is that because it isn't waterproof IT RUNS. this is why i gave it four stars instead of five. yes my eyes are naturally oily, but even after like 2-3 hours, i find there being black under my eyes which I have to take off with makeup remover (because apparently water doesn't work even though it isn't waterproof????). its just kind of annoying especially since the mascara applies so nicely :// just if Too Faced could hit us up with a fix in the formula that would be much appreciated. I don't like to look like a racoon only a few hours after my makeup has been applied.
Besides that, though, great mascara!
Cassidy C.
Roseville
Oh boy, I could write a novel on how much i hate this product. When it first launched, and was all the rage, i loved it and i was definitely on board-but now you couldn't pay me to use this after spending 30+ minutes blending my eyeshadow and baking my under eyes.

This mascara at first sight is lovely, it creates crazy volume and noticeable length, but after cracking the seal on that bottle you are doomed. Every application after the first gets worse and worse, dryer and dryer, to the point of having more flakes on your face than mascara on your eyes. Better than Sex is a flake monster, even if you don't flake during application, just know that after you get home from work or going out you will having mascara dust all over your face- and if you accidentally rub the dust you'll have raccoon eyes.

Want a good volumizing mascara without the flake? Try L'Oreal Lash Paradise, which is $9.99 compared to Too-Faced Better than Sex full sized product at $23.00. Stop paying ridiculous prices for terrible mascara!
Theresa M.
I have heard of how great this mascara was in the beauty community for years. I just had the opportunity to test it out for myself after getting a deluxe sample in my Sephora playbox. I was pretty excited that I could finally try this mascara out so I guess I had some pretty high hopes for it!
What I look for personally in a mascara may differ from what you look for but if your anything like me then your looking for minimal effort maximum results. Lengthening, defining and most importantly comfort.
I think The  Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara scores high in all of these area but application and the the wand I disliked. This one isn't a good fit for my eyes. I believe it is a great mascara but for the price it will not be converting me from my favorite mascara. The results speak for themselves see my irl before and after photo no filters, falsies or touch ups only good lighting.
Jackie G.
Charlotte, NC
I have always been really confused over the hype of this mascara.  Mascara is by far my favorite makeup, so I was really excited to try this product.  I HATED the shape of the wand, it just doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand why the outside edges would be thicker?  I found it super hard to get even coats because of the shape.  On top of that, it was super goopy and thick so it went on very clumpy, but because of the odd shape I couldn't use the wand to comb them out.  I have naturally long lashes, but they are really thin.  I curled my eyelashes and put this mascara on but the formula is so heavy and goopy it was weighing down my thin curled lashes.  By the end of the day my lashes were sticking straight like I hadn't even curled them and I had black residue under my eye.

To pay $23 for this mascara is absurd in my opinion. $6 Drugstore mascaras are 10x better than this mascara.  I wouldn't waste your money.

Madison S.
Yucaipa , CA
I love this mascara !! the brush is big and plush so no stabbing yourself on accident and it allows you to really layer on the mascara for those girls who like that ;) i have normal, full, not long, not short lashes and this stuff really steps them up :) it lengthens and really makes it look like i have more than i do its great night and day and i love how much bigger it makes my bottom lashes too! it doesnt melt into your crows feet through out the day and i havent experienced any flaking with this product theres no off putting scent either and its not difficult to remove even though its water proof definitely a favorite for me and im very tough on mascaras i definitely like it WAY more than the Benefit Theyre Real Masacara wich is a nightmare to remove the affect with the Better Than Sex Mascara just gives more volume to your lashes   Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
Rose  C.
Gloucester, MA
I'm interested in this mascara since I've seen it on youtube in a favorites video. Is this mascara really worth the hype? Also, is it waterproof?
Sheena K.
Plano, TX
Those who have used They're Real by Benefit would you say it's better or similar?
Jennifer M.
Joliet, IL
I've been looking for a new mascara. Is this truly better then sex? I would hate to waste money.
Niki Z.
Bechtelsville, PA
Is this product worth the money? I really like to have the best mascara for my money and I've heard good things about this one?
Kaycie  S.
Puyallup, Wa
A friend of mine works at sephora and says she loves this product, but it dries out quickly compared to a lot of the other brands. Did anyone else notice this?