BY TOO FACED #9 in Mascara

Created during a holy grail quest to find a truly buildable mascara, Better Than Sex provides extreme volume and a more dramatic look with each coat. One coat of the carbon black, collagen-fueled formula and lashes are full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths. Two coats and lashes are even more luscious, curled, and dramatic. Three coats and achieve the most intense black, oversized, multidimensional lashes possible! The Hourglass-Shaped brush unlocks the formula to create the perfect mascara that volumizes, lifts and coats both tops and bottoms of every little lash—with no lash left behind. A mascara so amazing…it’s Better Than Sex!

Details:

• 93% saw base-to-tip curl**
  • 8 out of 10 say it’s the best mascara they’ve ever used**
  • 3.4 out of 10 say great lashes are better than sex**
  • 3.1 out of 10 agree that this mascara is so good, it’s better than sex**
  • *results observed in an in vitro study
  • **results observed in a consumer study.

Water/aqua/eau, Synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Butylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Cera Carnauba/Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de carnauba, Aminomethyl Propanol, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Polyester-11, PVP, Cellulose, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Acacia Senegal Gum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Dextran, Acetyl Hexapeptide-1. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Black 2 (CI 77266), Ultramarines (CI 77007). *Vegan-friendly *Formulated without parabens

• What’s your go-to mascara? Mine is the Too Faced Better T...210 Answers
  • I'm interested in this mascara since I've seen it on yout...636 Answers
  • I've been looking for a new mascara. Is this truly better...296 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "Love love love this mascara... Can't stop using it from the time I got it..... Perfect match for length and volume" in 9068 reviews
  • "This is my favorite mascara that I've used so far. As long as you wipe the excess mascara off, it won't clump when applying it. It does a great job lengthening and volumizing my short lashes and holds a curl." in 2772 reviews
  • "This stuff is MAGIC. I own it in black and I do not believe that it is waterproof. I cannot get enough. I tried a mini that came in a gift set, and then I needed to head out immedietly to buy a full size. It is a drier formula mascara that builds so well (it is very similar to Maybelline The Falsies in formula) I really like the brush on this mascara, the slightly ball-shaped tip makes it very easy to do detailed lash work. This mascara lasted all day on me with no smudges and removed very easily. " in 2382 reviews
  • "This is the ONLY mascara for me! I love the volume and thickness it gives my lashes. It does not clump and it stays on all day long without having to reapply ever. You wont regret buying this mascara! So worth it. Also it lasts a long time. Usually a drug store mascara lasts a month. This mascara comes in a huge tube and lasts double that time so it is very worth the price!" in 1424 reviews
Asha A.
Oakdale, MN
This is my holy grail drugstore mascara, bar none. If you were disappointed in its sister mascara in the black tube, you need to try this. It's freaking perfect. I love how thin the formula is! It starts to thicken up about 5 weeks into use, but you can still work with it really easily. I buy this every 6 weeks. This mascara is a dupe for the Benefit Roller Lash, and, honestly, I think it's even better. This mascara separates, lengthens, and adds volume to my lashes WITHOUT clumping my lashes! If you hate clumps but love "Are those falsies?" lashes, try this mascara. The formula is lightweight an thin but is really easily buildable (Once this dries and sets, it's hard to build on, but I always have enough time to work with it). You can get no-makeup-looking lashes, straight-up falsies, or anything in between. I've cried (like, really cried) with this on, and it looked no different afterward. AND IT WASHES OFF LIKE A DREAM. I seriously don't even use eye makeup remover. You could use it, but you honestly don't need to. To best remove the mascara, wet your lashes a couple times with warm water, and slowly and GENTLY rub your fingers from the base of your lashes to the tips. Act like you're doing the whole "world's smallest violin" bit, and the mascara will start to come off in flakes/tubes. It's the weirdest thing, but it works, and it saves my lashes! I hardly ever lose a lash when I take off this mascara, and I would lose at least one almost every time I used eye makeup remover with other mascaras. To apply this or any mascara best, brush out your lashes with an old mascara wand or spoolie before applying the product. I use the shorter side of this wand every day for my bottom lashes and for when I want a natural look on my top lashes, and I use the thicker side when I want a more dramatic look. This mascara is honestly an all-in-one product from the makeup gods.
Brida F.
Seattle, WA
I know I'm probably THE last person in the beauty community to jump on this particular band wagon, but OH. MY. GOODNESS. I'm a convert! This little beauty, Too Better Than Sex mascara, came with my gorgeous new friend, the White Chocolate Bar, as a free gift. And what a gift she is. I tried it for the first time this morning and, as usual on morning where we are going out, it was hectic getting an 18month old washed, fed, dressed AND entertained whilst we were getting ready ourselves. THIS is my new mama's helper! Recently I've been spending what seems like an eternity on my lashes in the morning because all 3 of the mascaras I had on the go were on their last legs. This morning, I kid you not, ONE SWIPE and BOOM! I always think the "one coat" claims are BS but I swear not in this case. My lashes seemee to have curled themselves and were completely covered and long and black and separate in ONE COAT. No lie. And the bottom lashes turned out perfectly as well. I am honestly beyond impressed with this mascara. My husband thought I had lashes on! I am 100% sold on this. L'oréal Telescopic Carbon Black in still the best mascara you can get in the drugstore - but this is the best mascara you can get over all. And I am FUSSY about mascara, seriously. I have found three in my life that I actually like (the L'oréal one, Benefit Roller Lash & now this one), and many I would refuse to use at all. I don't have enough words to praise this mascara. The hype is real - I am absolutely shook! Is it better than sex? That's subjective. But it's certainly better than any other mascara.
Erika C.
First of all, I have hooded eyes and straight lashes which don't hold a curl well, even if I always use a curler prior to mascara.Two years ago I got this deluxe sample for free from Ulta. I used it a couple times and I didn't like it that much. I thought it was just a bunch of unjustified hype, and I was going to throw it away, but decided to play with it one last time and apply it differently. I curled my lashes and started rolling the brush at the roots of my lashes over and over, instead of just swiping the wand over the lashes as I normally did. I did this all over my lashes a couple of times, just for fun. When I was done, I was astounded at how different my lashes looked compared to when I just swiped the mascara the previous times. It totally looked almost like I was wearing fake lashes. I spent the rest of the day checking myself out, expecting the curl to fall off over time (as it normally does with most mascaras), but it did not with this one! It has now been 2 years since that day and I am still using this mascara, and applying it that way. I used to be the kind of person who was always looking out for a better mascara, but now those days are over. I still try different mascaras all the time from free samples, but none of them make my lashes look this amazing.If you have hooded eyes and straight lashes, I also highly recommend you try the waterproof version.My other tip is that I only buy the travel size version of this, because I find it much easier to apply with the shorter wand (the regular size wand is so big it gets in the way of a precise application for me) Too Faced Better Than Sex MascaraToo Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara
Shawna-Liberty C.
I'm torn. I have really long, thin very light (almost transparent) blonde lashes but a lot of them. I have myself on a budget for fiscal discipline. I don't aimlessly shop or hoard. I do not allow myself to fall for "beauty guru" hyperbole as an informed consumer. That said:
I received a "free" deluxe travel-sized tube of this from Ulta. I fell in love with the formula after the first week of use. It didn't smear, cake or clump on me with my method of application. I did not like the brush because it is TOO large at the end to effectively reach the lashes at the corner of the eyes and lower lashes without getting mascara EVERYWHERE. I was so impressed with the formula, I purchased the full-sized after a month. I loved the tube it came it but it came with some problems.
My preferred method of applying this is to focus the volume of product on the base of the lash and leave the tips of the eyelashes bare until I've applied the last coat. DO NOT LET DRY in between coats and comb/brush lashes while they are still wet. The formula is wet leaning so slightly to the dry side. I have considered reviews complaining that this mascara "doesn't hold a curl" or straightens their lashes: yes, it will do that if you pile it on at the tips of your lashes in an attempt to make them appear longer because you have made your structure top heavy with a crap foundation; it will fall. Many other reviewers have complained about flaking: yes, this will happened if you comb through or brush your lashes AFTER the product has dried or if you pile on coat after coat of product let it dry inbetween coats. I knocked off two stars for the brush and longevity of the full-sized product.The brush is just impractical and gimmick-y. I get it : an hourglass sexy shape meant to be curvy like the ideal woman's body. It does an injustice to the product because it is a time consuming struggle to apply this to the lower lashes and corner lashes without getting product EVERYWHERE.However, I liked the formula and was willing to look past this.
The full-sized packaging is great: the wand it weighted which steadies my hand for application. However, the plunger does not wipe off enough product. Ever vigilant to get the most out of my product, I'd wipe off the generous excess onto a coffee filter instead of edge of the opening to keep the excess product from drying and crumbling back into the tube and making a clumpy-dried mess of the product. I paid $23 USD for this product and I want my money's worth. Even with these attempts, the full sized tube dried up in 2 months. The travel sized was still going strong at the time of my using it up ~3 months. The plunger wipes off more product and I think keeps air from getting in there.
If I were to repurchase this again, I'd get the travel sized even though I do like the weighted wand of the full sized one. The brush is horrible but I can work with it when I have the time to mess with other spoolies. I have not decided at the time of this writing if I will repurchase.
Megan M.
Oak Ridge
I was rather disappointed in this mascara. To hear people rave about it, I was expecting it to knock me off my feet and enhance my lashes to lash perfection. Any product that claims to be "better than sex" should be the holy grail of products and even than it's still not better. Maybe my expectations were too high because of the name and because of all the publicity and positive reviews that it gets but I won't buy it again. It gets 3 stars from me because I feel it's just an average mascara that is sold for a high-end quality price. One positive is that the black really is a nice dark shade of black that coats lashes well. It's suppose to separate lashes well and keep them from clumping but I had many issues with clumping. Too much product always came out on the wand that I had to wipe off and I feel I wasted more product than I used. Also I know it's not waterproof but it came off under my eyes easier than any other mascara I used and I tried every trick to keep it from smudging all over under eye area. I don't seen why so many people love it. All mascara's can build up coverage and some that are better than these. I don't particularly recommend this to anyone. Idk how it got such a huge following but I won't get using it again
Jenny S.
El Dorado Spg, MO
I'm right in the middle on whether I am sold on this product or not... I buy just as much drugstore products as I do luxury products because I do believe that drugstore products are catching up to the luxury ones in some areas. This being said, I first received a sample of this mascara when I ordered the Too Faced Peach Perfect Foundation. The sample has a short wand, of course, so it made it difficult to apply, but I was wowed at how amazing it made my lashes look, so I ordered a full sized product of this when Too Faced was having a sale.. I got it for $13 I believe. Once I began using the full sized products, I began to definitely form an opinion on it.
The packaging is very quality and the handle is weighted, making my hand steadier when applying. When removing the wand though, the plunger does not wipe off enough product, which results in me having to wipe quite a bit off myself EVERY time I dip the plunger in. Also, the brush is much too large. It is great when applying to just the upper lashes, but it is nearly impossible to apply any in the corners or on the bottom lashes without clumping your eyelashes or making a mess. Because of this, I have to use a different mascara for the corners and bottom lashes.
This formula is nice, and it makes my lashes appear so amazingly long. I have blonde eyelashes that are probably more on the longer length of the spectrum. This mascara coats my lashes in two coats tops, which is very nice. It is a beautiful shade of black and makes my eyes look amazing... I just wish the brush had a smaller tip and that I did not have to wipe off excess every time I remove the plunger.
I've been using this product for only about 3 months, so I'm not able to review how long it lasts in the tube.
I would not pay full price for this item, but if I came across another sale, I would probably buy again.
Christine L.
After hearing person after person rave about this mascara, I decided to try it out. While it is amazing in most areas, there are few little things I don't like (why I took away one star).

I have the admit, the volume it gives my lashes is truly amazing and the color is great - seriously what you would want in a mascara. However, there is a little bit of clumping. I usually just go through it with a clean wand to "declump" - not a big deal.

I usually opt to use a different mascara for my lower lashes because I have found that it runs but that's probably just because of my skin type so I would think the waterproof would work better if you have combination or oily skin. Or you can do what I do and use a waterproof mascara on your lower lashes which I have found really helps with the running issue.

Honestly, I think those were relatively minor problems that can be easily resolved. Overall, the volume and intensity that this mascara gives your lashes makes it all worth it. After just two coats, they look bold, full of volume, and makes it look like you have falsies on - all without the hassle of putting them on! I would definitely recommend it, just maybe try the waterproof one if you have combination or oily skin.
Aanchal K.
new york, new york
When I first received this mascara in my playbox, I was excited. I've heard so many people talk about Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, and have also heard about the dupes! I wasn't into mascara when I received it, and when I used it I wasn't too impressed. It was clumpy and made my lashes big, dark and long. At the time, I didn't realize that long, big, dark lashes is what I actually wanted, and that was what people wanted from mascara. Now, that I've started liking and appreciating mascara more, I love this product.

The brush is kind of fat compared to other mascaras but it works. It sort of fits the shape of your eye, but obviously- be careful when applying. It coats almost all your eyelashes in 2-3 swipes and does a great job. Sometimes it can be excessive and clumpy but a good quick fix is to either use a regular plain mascara wand to clean it up, or an eyelash comb to get rid of the clumps. I also like to mix this mascara with a smash box mascara. I use Too faced first and then clean out the clumps while adding definition and length with It Cosmetics Superhero mascara. Highly recommend both together. If you put enough mascara on, you don't really need other eye make up eyeliner, which is pretty awesome for me!
Kristen M.
Orlando
Long story short: This Mascara is a miracle worker!

It comes out feeling very clumpy, and it looks like the wand isn't going to be great... Just go with it! I promise, it will exceed your expectations.

I have straight/curly thick and long lashes. I tend to look for product that will enhance them and show off my eyes (which are my best feature, if I do say so myself) without requiring multiple layers, primer, etc. This manages to do all of the above with one application.

My roommates also use this Mascara and one has thin, medium length straight lashes, and the other has short thick lashes. Again, one application works for both of them as well. Picture "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" but in mascara form - that's what this is.

Prior to this I typically used "They're Real" by Benefit. I am now converted to Better Than Sex!
Julia H.
Midland, MI
honestly this mascara does really live up to its reputation. it's so nice and adds so much volume. i origionally bought this mascara because i had been using multiple lengthening mascaras, and those did nothing for the volume of my mascara (not that they would), but it felt like they were making my eyelashes little and skinnier. I tried this mascara and instantly my lashes were so much longer. it just sucks that this one is hard to combine with other mascaras, because i just want LONG AND THICK.
my problem with this mascara is that because it isn't waterproof IT RUNS. this is why i gave it four stars instead of five. yes my eyes are naturally oily, but even after like 2-3 hours, i find there being black under my eyes which I have to take off with makeup remover (because apparently water doesn't work even though it isn't waterproof????). its just kind of annoying especially since the mascara applies so nicely :// just if Too Faced could hit us up with a fix in the formula that would be much appreciated. I don't like to look like a racoon only a few hours after my makeup has been applied.
Besides that, though, great mascara!
Rose  C.
Gloucester, MA
I'm interested in this mascara since I've seen it on youtube in a favorites video. Is this mascara really worth the hype? Also, is it waterproof?
Sheena K.
Plano, TX
Those who have used They're Real by Benefit would you say it's better or similar?
Jennifer M.
Joliet, IL
I've been looking for a new mascara. Is this truly better then sex? I would hate to waste money.
Niki Z.
Bechtelsville, PA
Is this product worth the money? I really like to have the best mascara for my money and I've heard good things about this one?
amélie L.