BY TOM'S OF MAINE

Tom's of Maine Unscented Deodorant: 24-hour odor protection Natural Aluminum free Kosher see more...

• I tried a lavender scent of this product and I have to sa...1 Answers
  • Does this last all day? Any issues with irritation? I hav...4 Answers
  • Does this keep you dry and smelling fresh all day long?4 Answers
Rhonda J.
The reason I chose Tom's is because I refuse to put aluminum dioxide into my lymph nodes. When I was in nursing school I also worked as a CNA on a skilled Alzheimer's unit. I noticed the one thing that ALL 32 of my patients had in common was that they were all college graduates with good paying jobs. These were smart people who had worked everyday. They used antipersperant as most did. Now its 2018 and we are seeing commercials for drugs to treat Male issues and the method of delivery is a roll-on that goes in the armpit, leading directly to the lymph nodes. So I refuse to put aluminum into my lymph nodes. Unless Toms has changed their formula, they do not use aluminum but they make a product that works well and is priced right. Smell good the healthy way!
Amber F.
Glasgow, KY
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I have sensitive skin and I sweat like a waterfall in the summer, sometimes even in the winter due to a mix of bodily weirdness and frequent outdoor adventures. I need a deodorant to combat the smell of death that eliminates under my arms while providing peace of mind and without harming my skin or clothes. Sofar, after over a month trying this deodorant when my beloved Dove Advanced Care Sensitive Antiperspirant was again out of stock, I've found it to be great for my needs. It's more natural than my Dove was and it applies easier. Dove was a white powder that seemed to compact itself making it harder to apply. Over time, the stick's effectiveness seemed to wane. Tom's has a more candle wax harder consistency, yet somehow applies smoothly without irritation. I never apply the same day I shave. I usually just go a day without wearing anything to let my pits breath and to prevent a rash. I always do this on a day I'll be home...far, far away from other humans. This says it's unscented, but it has this faint fresh scent that I really like. My only issue is that it feels a bit sticky/waxy at initial application, but it's a subtle issue that doesn't affect me all that much. I really have enjoyed using this and have had no issue regarding breakouts or irritation.
Claudia S.
Bethesda, MD
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I wanted to try a more natural option to my regular deodorant so I got this, but as soon as I opened it I didn’t like the smell - even if it says unscented, it does have a smell. Besides that, I sweated a lot and smelled really bad. I know it’s just deodorant and not antiperspirant so I shouldn’t expect not to sweat but it still didn’t do a good job with keeping me from smelling bad on a regular day - I was not even doing any extreme physical activity or anything that would make me sweat more than regular. In general, I would not recommend it.
Danyelle D.
Ontario, CA
Great ingredients and a great interest in the health of their customers, very gentle. It is unscented and has a nice application. Usually natural products are more expensive but this one is quite reasonable. Lasts relatively well, but for summer time and more intense times I would recommend something a little more heavy duty.
Samantha K.
Foley, MN
I switched to this option since I was breaking out from the big name deodorants. It was a bit of an adjustment going from the solid to this "solid", I often feel that it's a bit sticky. The lack of scent is ok, nothing great. I do find that there is an odd odor when I sweat a lot, and it's not great. It's a bit more expensive than the usual brands but it's worth it. I have not reacted to this product and will keep buying it.
Carly F.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
If you are used to regular anti percpirants, you will be very disappointed. I hate scents for deodorants so I chose unscented, but this deodorant does NOT last the whole day. I have never been one to sweat, but my armpits would stink at the end of the day when I used this.
Megan H.
If I had to choose a deodorant, this would be the one. Pros: It doesn't stain my clothing. It leaves my skin feeling soft and nice. It doesn't irritate my skin. I no longer break out or get ingrown hairs. Cons: When I sweat, there's a weird odor. The odor alone is why I give it 3 stars. I will say however, it was a great transitioning deodorant to use before going natural.
Lyndley H.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
Anti-perspirant’s stop you from sweating deodorants stop you from smelling, dont get those two confused. This is just deodorant and I do notice that I smell really really bad the next day especially if went to work.. But I have noticed that it does combat a small amount and I mean minor amount of sweat throughout the day my underarms wont sweat through my shirt as quickly as before......
Irony right?!
Katie D.
Gainesville, GA
This is the perfect deodorant when you want to go natural! I’m too scared to go fully natural as in wear no deodorant all and this is the perfect alternative. The deodorant comes in stick form which is what I’m used to so I really like it, and I also really like that it is unscented because I prefer unscented deodorants. it’s a little slick at times and leaves my underarms kind of wet but I can get around that.
Natalie A.
I had been meaning to switch from bad-for-you deodorants to something more health-conscious, because I used to use gel stick deodorants that contained aluminum and can be absorbed into your body leading to health issues further down the line. I never wanted to spend a ton of money on a deodorant, which is how I stumbled upon Tom's of Maine at my local drugstore. It costs about the same as any other deodorant at the drugstore, and is aluminum-free.

So the first thing: This claims to be 24-hours, but I disagree. You will start to smell slightly and will have to reapply (I don't do this everyday; some days I sweat more and on those days, if I'm wearing a tank top or something showing my arms, I'll reapply). I definitely wouldn't recommend this deodorant for running a marathon or going to the gym, or doing anything that requires being outdoors all day and sweating a lot. It's not that strong, but it's good for a day-to-day basis. For days where I think I'll sweat a lot more than usual, I'll grudgingly go back to my gel stick, but at least it's better to use it every once in a while as opposed to every single day.

The second thing: This has no scent, despite what some other reviewers have said. It doesn't smell like anything, at least to me. I'm the type of person that despises any kind of fragrance in my deodorants because I prefer to use perfume to add some sort of scent to myself, and deodorants tend to overpower any perfume I'll attempt to put on. I don't have that problem with this deodorant. It's odorless.

The third thing: This stick glides on effortlessly. It's pretty unique in terms of texture because it's a stick, but it kind of has this emollient texture to it, which is probably what helps it glide on so nicely. This also won't leave those crumbled cheese (as I like to call it) effects under your arm.

The last thing: Some people complain that after a few days of using this, they start to smell bad, and then they stop using it. You have to get through that period. If you're just transitioning from having used a deodorant that has aluminum and other harsh chemicals in it (so basically any deodorant ever-- Dove, Secret, etc.) to one like Tom's of Maine, your body is going to go through a detox period. You will be expelling all the toxins that have built up from years of use, and so you may smell bad for up to a month. I never really had this issue for whatever reason. I did start to sweat a lot more for a while, but then it went away and I was back to normal. I've actually found that I sweat a lot less now than I used to, which is always a plus. So if you find that this starts happening to you, don't give up. Just get through it, let your body detox, and it'll get better.

Overall, I think this is an excellent deodorant for the price and for the lack of harsh chemicals in it. It's health-conscious, eco-friendly, and cost efficient. If you want one with a scent, these do exist with different scents. But like I said, this is not 24-hour. Carry it in your bag just in case when you first try it out, to see how long you can go without having to reapply. Everyone is different!
Kelsey Z.
Lakewood , OH
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
Does this keep you dry and smelling fresh all day long?
Nicole J B.
Studio City, CA
Does this last all day? Any issues with irritation? I have sensitive skin.
Erica W.
St. Louis
Is there any other smells for this product ??
Dayana B.
Washington, DC
What's the hype on this product? Is it really better for you than a Degree or Secret?
Leslie V.
North Bend, OR
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
Is this better than other deodorants

back