BY HARPER LEE #8 in Books

Lawyer Atticus Finch defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic, Puliter Prize-winning novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white woman. Through the eyes of Atticus's children, Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unanswering honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930's.

Buy on Walmart*
  • "This is a classic that you are forced to read in high school, therefore it takes some of the value and enjoyment out of reading it." in 136 reviews
  • "I enjoyed this book, and I love having beautiful editions of my favorite books, and I have a great leather bound copy to display now!" in 28 reviews
  • "To Kill A Mockingbird is a must read for anyone who has any experience or knowledge with racial tensions and changing sociological standards in America." in 26 reviews
  • "i really love this book , read it in middle school, first i didn't really understand the full message of the book ,so i re read it years later to get a deeper understanding." in 17 reviews
  • "I used to hate this book because it was apart of a required reading and had to do a ton of papers on it but now that i've re read it I absolutely love it!" in 16 reviews
Danielle N.
Stone Mtn, GA
I remember when I first read this book because of a high school english lit class. I wasn't like most of the other kids I had always had a thing for almost all the required reading we had. But I specifically remember this particular book seemed to grasp a lot more of the students than most. In my opinion this is a must read. Not because it's a classic but because of the overall messages of the story.
Julia N.
Fayetteville
My mother first read this to me when I was in third grade, not far from the protagonist, Scout's, age in the novel. I loved Scout and loved the story. I've read it again multiple times, and I feel like Scout is just as relatable now as she was when I was a kid. I grew up in the deep South and felt like Maycomb, Alabama might as well be right down the road from me. Atticus will forever be the greatest literary figure of all time, and To Kill A Mockingbird will forever be my favorite book.
Becca 💜.
Browns Mills
 The part I really enjoyed was the description of life in the mid 30's in rural Alabama. Really good character development for the major people in the first third of the book then the segregation and discrimination comes with the trial of a falsely accused black man. The times were really hard for everyone being the depression but especially hard for the black man and the author spends a lot of time describing the prevailing feelings of the majority of the people along with the few that were against the discrimination.
Overall, I would recommend reading this just because it is really well written and as a bonus you get to see how rural Alabama was like in the depression era. I would recommend this book 100%.
Shalayna G.
Purvis, MS
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I read To Kill A Mockingbird in my high school English class and for the most part I really enjoy most of the book maybe even one of my favorites. I had to read it for summer reading one year and I couldn't put it down once I started. The combination of the child and adult point of view was something that really spoke to me as I was a teenager as the beginning of leaving childhood but not quite entering adulthood.  I would high recommend this book to anyone of any age really. You are never to young or old to learn from this book in my personal opinion a must read!!
briance m.
Paragould, AR
This was one of the most unenjoyable books I've ever read. My english teacher forced us to read it and then stopped in the middle of the book because none of us payed attention. It's written so poorly (no shade to the author i know it's written like this on purpose) but it's so hard to read and understand dont read it unless you're older and understand a lot of things
♠️~Toni S.
I read this sophomore year and i personally liked it and found it really interesting . I even bought the 2nd book go set a watchmen cause I had to know what happens to these main characters !! It was a good book and I like that it had many different aspects to it . And it wasn’t just about racism or about the assumptions scout made about boo Radley .
Macee K.
Minneola, KS
This is an interesting book. A great read and a good piece of literature. I know this is taught in a lot of classrooms. There are a lot of great discussions to be had from this book as well. I have not read the recently published first draft of this book but I’ve also heard that it is a quite interesting to see where this book came from and what I could have been.
Gina L.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
A classic and must read. I read it in high school for an English class and honestly l remember struggling to get through the book and understanding the theme. You really have to dig to grasp what the message of the book is. But it’s a great read and referenced so much in pop culture.
kao (.
Charlotte, NC
“Until I feared I would lost it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” (pg. 20)

I love this book and the idea of reading is like breathing. I read often. I remember loving this over and over, but it is up to you to decide if you like this book or not.
Jessica M.
Bethlehem, PA
Another classic! This novel had such a huge impact on my want to become an English major in college. It discusses very real issues but through the light-hearted lense of a child. This should be required reading for every American- Harper Lee sure knew how to tell a story.
Griselda R.
Who has reread this since high school?
Veronika S.
How old were you when you rea this book?
Mariange Z.
Is it worth to buy?
Shelby M.
Johnson City, TN
Some how I had a school experience without having to read this book? Is it truly worth the read or does it just have the hype because it is a book that most people are required to read?
Kelly B.
Rome, NY
Do they still ead this in schools?