Thrifty Car Rental

What is their minimum rental age?
Do they offer seat for children?
Thrifty offers discounts through my Union membership but I've never seen one, used one or had one near enough TO use. What are your experiences and where have you used Thrifty?
Start your review of Thrifty Car Rental!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
Usually a top competitor price-wise for a rental, but they have some issues with customer service that aren't really worth the price difference. in reviews
Amber C.
Thrifty Car Rental uploaded by Amber C.
Terrible experience. Booked through Expedia for daughter and boyfriend. Thrifty took advantage of them and charged card for $951.00 when booked for $296.12. Thrifty added full coverage insurance even though driver has full coverage and additional insurance purchased through Expedia. I was on speakerphone with Thrifty agent and daughter and boyfriend-told Thrifty to remove all insurance charges as they were unnecessary due to driver having full coverage and extra coverage purchased through Expedia. Agent said she removed. When I hung up agent then added on liability insurance-which was still unneeded as driver has full coverage and extra through Expedia. Agent told daughter and boyfriend they could cancel insurance when returning car so not to worry about it. Agent did not document driver’s insurance. I called and was not able to speak to a manager until about 6 hours later because the agents kept hanging up on me. I explained to the manager, Joe, the situation. He said only way to remove would be for them to make an 8 hour round trip drive to break the contract. He also said no reason to contact his manager, Chan, because he and his agents made sure to document account “up and down” and that they can cancel the insurance on return, however no money back because it is a daily charge. Joe also went back and forth over discussing “personal” details of contract since I wasn’t a signer but in the end gave me all details except the name of the agent that added the unnecessary/overcharged insurance. If you need to rent a car-be advised of opportunity they will take to overcharge and add unnecessary hidden fees without telling you-BEWARE when using Thrifty rental car, the Portland, PDX location is the one we used, as well as booking through Expedia as they have no control and no way of forcing Thrifty to abide by reservation booked through them. Shame on Thrifty for taking advantage of first time car renters. Why, logically would anyone need to purchase insurance through Thrifty if they already had full coverage and paid extra for the Expedia coverage??? Not to mention all the other random charges that took it from $296.12 to $951.00. Steer clear of Thrifty car rental. Their direct phone # to desk at Portland airport location is 503-254-6565 option 0-not that it will do any good. Worst customer service. Hope it was worth the extra $169.95 you charged-it won’t happen again-lesson learned. I won’t use you again and will make sure anyone and everyone knows of my experience. I’ll even chip in for a more expensive car rental company to make sure no one else gets taken advantage of.
Chriss K.
Bremerton, WA
The online kiosk for checkout when reaching the airport was a great invention.  We were able to bypass the line waiting to speak to in person representatives and checkout within minutes.  The experience got us on the road quickly and easily.
Rebekah M.
My sisters & I rented a car from Thrifty last year when we went to FL to visit our mother. The line was super short, but the wait was VERY long.  I think since it was later at night, they did not have much staff on board.  The car was nice and we had no trouble returning it when we returned it to the airport.
Devon G.
Minneapolis, MN
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Thrifty is my top choice when renting a car. The reservation process is always easy and pickup and drop off is always smooth. Being a member also makes the process easy - when I arrive at Thrifty, I simply find my name and what parking spot my vehicle is in, grab my car and go!
Nicole W.
Core, WV
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
We used thrifty overseas. It was easy to find and the best deal. In Ireland they did not have a lot of automatic cars available, but I think that’s anywhere overseas. We thought the toll pass would work everywhere, but it only works on some toll roads so make sure you have exact change.
Laurie A.
Pittsburgh, PA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
The car was nice and the price was affordable! Would definitely recommend to anyone trying to save a few bucks while traveling out of town. Staff was friendly too.
Elvira B.
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
Great customer service. The choice of cars were not that great. For the price it was ok. All the vehicles they had were compact size.
Lauren S.
Bay City, MI
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Bad customer service. Dirty cars. No good points or rewards system set up. Lowest prices but you might want to pay the $10 more a day to enjoy your car.
Elizabeth M.
Oakhurst, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Last year I went to Mexico and my insurance told me they'd cover me in any car in any country. They even gave me a picture to print out. I wanted to rent a car for the month so I made sure everything was taken care of. I got there and they basically made it seem like I had to get insurance through them and mine was inadequate. I politely declined and did not take the car.
Whitney H.
Had trouble with this company my last two rentals but they allow for travel all over the US unlike some other companies and prices are usually reasonable