BY YMCA GYM #2 in Gyms

• Ymca or GoodLife ? The Y Gym2 Answers
  • How does this compare to other gyms?4 Answers
  • Does this gym have the newest updated equipment? What are the per...5 Answers
The Y Gym
  • "This is a great place to be you can get your mind off of everything and just enjoy by your self, with friends, or family." in 20 reviews
  • "It is a spacious place offering machine weights, free weights, several dozen classes, child care, basketball courts and a pool." in 19 reviews
  • "While we now have an upgraded weight room and new treadmills (both excellent), there have been numerous issues with the pool and it costs extra to attend many of the group fitness classes." in 16 reviews
  • "A family membership there covers both my husband and myself, and gives us access to all the Y facilities in our city, including the pool, whatever classes we like, the open gym, and childcare for our toddler while we work out." in 13 reviews
  • "I began attending with my family as a child, and was enrolled in some of the classes, participated in the swimming programs, and eventually moved up to the weight room as I got older." in 9 reviews
Stephanie K.
E Liverpool, OH
I love my local YMCA! I have two different facilities near me each offering a different variety of equipment. The staff and phenomenal and overall they have what I need. I love to workout everyday it’s a giant stress relief for me and I also love feeling good about myself. The only negative thing I’d have to say is that it’s such a costly expense for me as a single person living on my own. It typically cost $35 a month for me; which I know isn’t extremely bad but for a while was very unaffordable to me as I transitioned homes and jobs. I think they should do membership cost based on income or do and overall general low cost for everyone like Planet Fitness. I’d hate to say on the cost end of the planet fitness near me was closer I’d cancel my YMCA membership in a second.
Robin H.
philadelphia
Overall it’s a good gym and has lots of resources. The one near me has a gym, track, basketball court, rock climbing wall, different fitness classes, child care services, a pool and hot tub and lots of other resources all included in the cost of membership. I have a family membership that I use when I’m home from school (my university provides free gym services so I use that at school) and since I really only use the gym equipment and don’t use many of the other resources it’s not really worth the cost for me. But if you are someone that will take advantage of the classes, childcare etc. this is a good option!
Josie P.
Sparta, MI
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I have to admit that sadly, we only attended the The Y Gym once. It was a trial and we did not exactly get around to signing up. The prices were fair I suppose, but we fell in a bracket were we made to much to get a lower price, yet the monthly fee was a large adjustment to our personal budget. I will say, the fees are well spent. The gym was spotless and well secured. A great in house daycare for the little ones, a pool, tvs, wifi, friendly staff that wasnt "pushy" and a great list of extra claases and adventures for you and kiddos to sign up for. If its in your budget, It seems to be a great optio for a family fun gym.
Nikki R.
O Fallon, MO
It’s always loud here, but it’s also a great place to meet up and train with other people. The pool is colder than other gyms and not open for lap swimming as often as I would like because of kids swim classes, but that is a valid reason as kids need to learn to swim. I come here when I am meeting up with friends who have kids or if I have a large group of people who want to all work out together. I just get a day pass, as this isn’t my scene for a peaceful high energy gym, but I know the classes here are at a good price and I may look into one or two of them.
Lynn F.
Youngstown, OH
I am not a member of the YMCA, but I do pay the non member prices for my son to take classes there. He is currently playing basketball. It is his 3rd session for this basketball league & he also did a basketball fundamentals camp last summer! He loves it, and the coaches are great with the kids! He also took swimming lessons there for 5 years, and because of the great teachers, he is an amazing swimmer! All of our experiences there, have been wonderful. I do plan to have a membership for my family, when we are able to add it to our budget!
Karlee D.
omaha
I love this gym! They just built a new one where I live and they added updated workout equipment, lots of fun classes and even a sauna and a steam room. I love that they have a daycare so I can have somewhere for my son to go when I’m working out. The pool is also great sized for adults and they have a kids side as well which is amazing.
Tayyiba H.
Laguna hills, CA
I LOVE the Y. Its the perfect choice for my family of four. It has all the up to date machines and equipment, full schedule of exercise classes including spin and Pilates, and the clincher was the zidzone! 2 hrs of supervised playtime for the kids while i work out and it's not just any ol teenager like many fitness centers. They are actually background screened and CPR certified.
I also love the date night activities they have where you can drop off kids for 4 hrs and go have a nice evening.
Taylor L.
I used to work for the Y in child care and loved being able to use YMCA gyms to work out. They are always clean and have an abundant amount of staff available to help on the floor. One feature that I think is way underused is the personal coaching that the Y offers for free. I was recovering from spinal surgery and was able to talk to a coach to set up a good recovery workout plan. They also helped with my diet. Great service for all members!
Minerva C.
Boise, ID
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
My whole family is a member at the YMCA in our city and all the we haven't been going continuously the past couple of months, we will not cancel our membership because we love everything it has to offer. We love our pools, and classes, the childcare rooms, and the main gym. It does get really crowded though and that's why I removed a star. Other than that it's okay
Lexie S.
Franklin, TN
It definitely depends on which location you go too, but I’ve been going to the y in my town and it’s perfect! The staff are all friendly and helpful and the gym machines and equipment are always clean and super super nice!! I’ve been to other gyms that have equipment that’s been run down or outdated, but the y has everything you need and all machines have a Tv! Plus, they’re a non-profit and do amazing things for people in the community!
Connie F.
Talladega, AL
Is the YMCA for the whole family, just men or just women or who?
Tiffany M.
Akron, OH
What is the best class to take at the Y?
Morgan L.
Blmngton Spgs, TN
Does anyone else think they're a little bit pricey?
Kelsey P.
Ellettsville, IN
Do you think the higher membership price (as compared to other local gyms) is worth it for the "perks" you get at the Y, such as kid/family events and childcare?
Emily F.
Hamilton , OH
Do you enjoy taking group fitness classes at the Y? If so, which one is your favorite?