BY YMCA GYM #2 in Gyms

• Ymca or GoodLife ? The Y Gym2 Answers
  • How does this compare to other gyms?4 Answers
  • Does this gym have the newest updated equipment? What are...5 Answers
The Y Gym
  • "This is a great place to be you can get your mind off of everything and just enjoy by your self, with friends, or family." in 20 reviews
  • "It is a spacious place offering machine weights, free weights, several dozen classes, child care, basketball courts and a pool." in 19 reviews
  • "While we now have an upgraded weight room and new treadmills (both excellent), there have been numerous issues with the pool and it costs extra to attend many of the group fitness classes." in 16 reviews
  • "A family membership there covers both my husband and myself, and gives us access to all the Y facilities in our city, including the pool, whatever classes we like, the open gym, and childcare for our toddler while we work out." in 13 reviews
  • "I began attending with my family as a child, and was enrolled in some of the classes, participated in the swimming programs, and eventually moved up to the weight room as I got older." in 9 reviews
Shabnam S.
Novato, CA
I like the Y cause it’s such a homey gym. It’s the one gym where I don’t feel self conscious about what I do. Everyone just shows up and has a good time doing their workout and the age range is so broad. It’s usually pretty busy in the weight area, but I like that everyone makes sure not to spend too much time One one machine or the benches so everyone has a chance. It’s pricey but worth it for all the amenities you get, lots of classes and pool access. There are probably only two things I don’t like about the Y. One is that since there are people of all ages, there will be people using machines the wrong way and end up damaging them. And it’s adults and children doing. I don’t know how kids are allowed to roam freely and use weight machines. Because if this there is always at least one thing broken when I go to the gym. Also, the hours aren’t that open. They aren’t ideal for students and people who work jobs that aren’t 9-5. They even close earlier on the weekends which is inconvenient... well the location by me does, I don’t know about other locations.
member-e19d7
I am a member of the Armed Forces YMCA in my local area (Harker Heights, TX) and LOVE IT! The membership fees are more than reasonable, the desk clerks cheerfully welcome me by name every day and there are so many activities and classes to choose from. My favorite class is the Daily Spin Class. What an Intense workout! This facility also has a pool, a therapeutic hot tub that is the size of a small pool, a sauna, a gym, a basketball court, a huge weight room complete with lots of machines, an indoor track, various studios for classes, and a day care. The best thing about being a YMCA member is that I can workout in any YMCA in the country that my travels take me! ❤️❤️❤️
Nikki R.
O Fallon, MO
It’s always loud here, but it’s also a great place to meet up and train with other people. The pool is colder than other gyms and not open for lap swimming as often as I would like because of kids swim classes, but that is a valid reason as kids need to learn to swim. I come here when I am meeting up with friends who have kids or if I have a large group of people who want to all work out together. I just get a day pass, as this isn’t my scene for a peaceful high energy gym, but I know the classes here are at a good price and I may look into one or two of them.
Kristin T.
Durham
I absolutely love the Y. I have been a member for a few years now and I won’t be quitting anytime soon. The classes are great to jumpstart or amplify fitness routines in your life. The equipment is always top notch and functions very well. As a mom of young children, I am grateful for the childcare provided by the Y. I appreciate every staff member and volunteer at my local Y. They are always willing to help and answer fitness questions.
Shannon💋 W.
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I love the YMCA I have been going for a couple years. I love that they have so many different activities to participate in and exercise classes. It’s a big place with lots to do for adults and kids. The best part for me personally is that they have a child care section for you to drop your kiddos off while your doing your thing. The only thing I’ve always disliked is that there actual gym area is pretty small. So you tend to feel pretty crammed in with everyone.
Hannah B.
Moline
Personally, I have very few positive things to say about The Y. Fitness classes are great but the hours for the more popular classes are during the day, which if you have a full time job you can't attend. Swimming is nice. It's also nice that you are able to attend Ys all over the country. BUT I wish the classes had better hours and wee more interesting. How about a ropes class? A rhythm class besides Zumba? Just a little outdated for myself and people my age.
Lacey K.
Clearwater, MN
I actually work at my local YMCA so I know how clean and sanitary we keep everything! I love our pool hot tub and sauna it’s so amazing we have a full sized gym with basketball hoops and a wonderful kids daycare as long with a great big workout area with studios to do all kinda of cool classes! The ymca offers government assistance free membership if you qualify for any kind of government assistance you get a membership for free! It’s awesome
Taylor L.
I used to work for the Y in child care and loved being able to use YMCA gyms to work out. They are always clean and have an abundant amount of staff available to help on the floor. One feature that I think is way underused is the personal coaching that the Y offers for free. I was recovering from spinal surgery and was able to talk to a coach to set up a good recovery workout plan. They also helped with my diet. Great service for all members!
Lexie S.
Franklin, TN
It definitely depends on which location you go too, but I’ve been going to the y in my town and it’s perfect! The staff are all friendly and helpful and the gym machines and equipment are always clean and super super nice!! I’ve been to other gyms that have equipment that’s been run down or outdated, but the y has everything you need and all machines have a Tv! Plus, they’re a non-profit and do amazing things for people in the community!
Jennifer D.
We got a family membership here. I Jim's here and our local town are very clean and very self-explanatory to use. Everything that this place has to offer his amazing and it allows our oldest daughter to work out with us. We can use anything in the facility with our membership and it has a daycare for our littlest ones when we work out so that always helps. And also has a pool and a splash pad that we can use anytime. So it's worth it.
Connie F.
Talladega, AL
Is the YMCA for the whole family, just men or just women or who?
Tiffany M.
Akron, OH
What is the best class to take at the Y?
Morgan L.
Blmngton Spgs, TN
Does anyone else think they're a little bit pricey?
Kelsey P.
Ellettsville, IN
Do you think the higher membership price (as compared to other local gyms) is worth it for the "perks" you get at the Y, such as kid/family events and childcare?
Emily F.
Hamilton , OH
Do you enjoy taking group fitness classes at the Y? If so, which one is your favorite?