BY THE TASTE

One blind spoonful could change everything on ABC's all-new alternative series, "The Taste," an exhilarating one-hour cooking competition that puts 16 culinary competitors - from pro chefs to home cooks -- to the fire with four of the world's most notable masters of the food world who will judge their creations based on a blind taste test. In this pressure-filled contest, the taste in a single spoonful can catapult a contender to the top or send him packing. The series features no-holds barred chef Anthony Bourdain, British food star Nigella Lawson, expert chef/author Ludo Lefebvre and chef/restaurateur Brian Malarkey. These four culinary superstars and mentors will each coach a team of four competing pro and amateur cooks chosen from a nationwide casting call, as they vie to create the best tasting dish in a state of the art kitchen. In each episode the groups will face team and individual challenges with a variety of culinary themes through various elimination rounds. At the end of each episode, the mentors will have to judge the competitors' dishes blind -- with no knowledge of whose creation they're sampling, what they're eating, how it was prepared or whom they could be sending home. see more...

• Who's your favorite mentor?1 Answers
  • What spoon from the show is most like your personality?2 Answers
  • Is this coming back for another season?2 Answers
The Taste on ABC
  • "I've been a fan of this show for three seasons now and I really love that it's different than all the other cooking shows on prime time tv." in 91 reviews
  • "will aim a big fan if Anthony bourdain so him being a part of this is just the frosting on the cake for me and then cooking and having to compete is just a great package i recommend this show to anyone who loves hells kitchen or top chief etc to watch this show trust me you'll love it just as much as me " in 72 reviews
  • "I am a huge fan of cooking competition shows but sometimes the person who wins is obviously influenced by the producers, some win just because they have a cute story." in 33 reviews
  • "The concept behind the taste is really great - invite a bunch of people (professionals and home cooks alike) to make one bite of food that judges blindly taste test and then run a competition with them." in 28 reviews
  • "I like the concept of this show, the blind tasting minimizes prejudices and really emphasizes the importance of the taste." in 22 reviews
Jameisha M.
Belton, TX
I love watching reality television shows especially ones that involves with cooking. When I first heard about The Taste I knew I wanted to watch it. The Taste is a combination of The Voice on NBC and Master Chef on Fox. I am very familiar with Anthony Bourdain from No Reservations on the Travel Channel and Nigella Lawson from her numerous cooking shows and cookbooks. I know some people are probably thinking what makes The Taste different from any other food show/contest. Well, for starters it is a blind taste test. The judges will test each competitor’s dishes without knowing what it is, how it was prepared, who created it, or whom they will be eliminating. I have watch Iron Chef America, Master Chef, and Top Chef in which the judges already know who cooked which dish and what ingredients are in the dish. Another thing about The Taste is there a mixture of professional and non-professional (home cooks) in this show. I like there are individuals that are self-taught competing against professional cooks that went to a culinary school. Lastly about the Taste is the dishes that each of the contestants creates. I enjoy the contestants using their creative skills to create these spoonful food bites in a short amount of time. I am tempted to re-create one of these dishes from the show in my kitchen as they look so mouthwatering.
Overall, The Taste proves to be a very successful show in my opinion. I love the developing feud between Ludo and Malarkey. Nigella’s flirtatious manner and Anthony Bourdain laid back attitude. I hope there will be a second season of The Taste because who doesn’t love food and drama.
Teela C.
Anthony Bourdain and Nigella Lawson are well known chefs. In addition they also introduce Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Marlarkey. So when I heard about the new show "The Taste" coming to ABC I was pretty excited since they would be judging together.
Upon watching the show, I was able to see from the auditions alone this was going to be very competitive. In addition, the fact that all the chefs have different personalities would definitely add some flare to the show. After watching the season 1 : episode 1 , I can conclude this show will go far. The personality of not only the chefs but the competitors as well are not exempt from elimination from teams. That's right! A chef can eliminate someone from their own team. In the past these types of shows yielded predictable outcomes. Let's face it, no one wants to get rid of someone from their own team. But on "The Taste" no one is exempt; Professional or non professional. They are quick to say NO if the dish proves unworthy of good taste to them. Thus, they have to keep in mind they are being mentored by the top chefs of the world so criticism should be used to their advantage. As if thats not enough, they are also competing for $100,000 & a Toyota Prius .
The possibilities are endless for these competitors, lets see if they know that themselves.
I would recommend this show to anyone. What I like the most about the show so far is the "UNPREDICTABLE"!

Anne C.
Howell, NJ
Another competition TV show. Another cooking competition TV show. What makes The Taste on ABC different? Primarily, its the competitors. Not only is there an array of personalities, from the braggart to the humble, the confident to the insecure, etc…but there is also a variety of skill levels! The Tastes has pros and amateurs competing side by side! The challenges are fun and inspiring if you like to cook. I especially the appreciated the episode “Daring Pairing” that included a challenge for combining wine and foods. That is a real challenge!

I would like to see more cooking detail and less cliche commentary ala “I could be going home” We all know that! I would also like to see little less bickering and whining among the judges.

It was a little confusing for me to keep the teams, the judges/mentors and guest judges all straight. I also found it difficult to keep up with who was cooking what and why. I am hoping after watching more episodes with fewer contestants, I will be able to get a better handle.

The set is beautiful. I like the judges, they all bring something different to the competition. I like the concept of pitting pros against amateurs and should make for a interesting competition as the show progresses.

PS...Did I mention my friend was approached repeatedly to compete on the show??? THAT would have been fun!!
Devon M.
Rock Hill, SC
I'd seen a few commercials about this reality cooking show. I didn't truly check it out until I heard more about it from Influenster.com. I just spent part of my Sunday afternoon catching up on episodes. I must say that I am pretty impressed. I plan to tune in on Tuesdays evenings at 8 to continue watching this. In my opinion this show has a mixture of aspects of Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef, Survivor, Survivor, and the Voice. Obviously it's a cooking reality show so it's somewhat similar to Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef. It's very intense and obviously each week some contestants have to go. It immediately reminded me of The Voice because for the first part of each episode the amateur chef contestants are paired with a professional chef. Their are four teams. Each member of the team has to create a dish(spoon) according to various requirements. The professional chef over each team mentors the members and has final say on which dish (spoon) will represent his/her team. The team must choose one dish(spoon) to be presented to guest chefs/experts. The tasting is done blind. The experts have no idea who made the food or what it is.
Bridget H.
Cincinnati , OH
This was my first time ever watching The Taste and I really enjoyed the program. It’s all about food, pairings so there’s no surprise there. I wasn’t a fan of how much the contestants bickered and squabbled throughout the episode. I did however like how the judges discussed why they liked some tastes & didn’t like others. I wish they weren’t so rude to the contestants, if you don’t like something that’s fine, but there’s no need to be so snarky. I think the blind taste tests are awesome, but revealing who it is later defeats the purpose for me.

I love that they allowed the contestants to explain their dishes & why they made some of the decisions they did. I want to know why they made the choices, took the risks they did. Its also great that the contestant have such diverse backgrounds, means each one comes with different and fun food ideas! This is the type of show I want to cook along with!

This show really drives home the idea that timing is everything. For me it’s a win win: great food, diverse contestants, new fresh ideas about food!
Beverly W.
Fountain Hills, AZ
This is my new reality show guilty pleasure. A wonderful meld of two reality shows. You have the time challenge of preparing a dish like on Chopped and the blind judging like you do on The Voice, which together bring a fast paced, fun show that you find yourself getting lost in. You know the judges like what they taste, when you see them actually licking the spoons. It's a competition between the contestants and a competition between the judges, who each start with a team of 4. As each judge takes their taste, they have no idea whose dish it is and can only make a decision based on that one taste.

The banter between the judges, while at times seems to get heated, is fun to watch as each has their own idea of what works and what doesn't. It's also fun to watch them try to figure out who made what, which as the contestants dwindle down will only become more entertaining. Thank you ABC for bringing this show, I truly do enjoy it.
Ann C.
Corona, CA
Video Review of the premiere of ABC's "The Taste" (Season 1, Episode 1) - "One blind spoonful could change everything on ABC's The Taste. This new cooking competition show is literally all about taste." - http://beta.abc.go.com

Following each episode of The Taste, my friend Ryan Myers and I will bring you the "After Show," where we chat about highlights from the episode, as well as give our feedback and predictions for which team we think will win the coveted The Taste trophy and $100,000 prize. Make sure to follow me on Twitter (@anncampea), check out my blog (Girl-vs-Food.com) and my YouTube page every week to chat about who YOU think will win The Taste!

Keep following along with us and check out our review of episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wAIYQBd3yo&feature=share&list=UUIkphtXQziJraHNK3RehQ9A

**Stay tuned for our review of "The Taste Finale: Triple Threat" on March 12, 2013**
Jessica J.
Providence, RI
One thing that is good about this show is the blind tasting. Such a simple idea, yet not a lot of cooking competition shows do it. Another good thing are the judges. I liked some of them, and loved to hate others. The thing that annoyed me about this show was when they would blindly taste, it seemed that the judges always had trouble figuring out the protein in the dish. They would taste, then have a conversation that went like... "is this shrimp? veal? no no no, it's eggplant!" Aren't you guys like professionals? Come on, you should be able to identify the protein immediately. I am hoping in season two, they tighten up a few loose things about the show because it has great potential.
Liz H.
Cuyahoga Fls, OH
I was interested in this show for primarily 2 reasons. 1. Anthony Bourdain (Author of Kitchen Confidential and host of No Reservations) and 2. It reminded me of Masterchef. I like the idea of a home cook coming into a professional kitchen with little to no training and just absolutely wowing chefs that have been in the business for years. The format was interesting, each chef gets to pick 4 contestants that compete on their teams. They mentor these contestants and they all submit a recipe that is presentated as simply "A taste" hence the show title. I personally would like to see more cooking, with so many contestants it's hard to root for a favorite as a lot of the production is focused on the judges. I also wanted to see more cooking, it seemed like there was a lot of confessionals and fighting etc. I wish they would have focused on the nitty gritty and why everyone was there. The food.
Valerie H.
Berkeley, CA
After watching a few clips of The Taste on Vimeo, I must say --- It's a must see. As in, "everybody needs to watch at least one episode of it right now."

Admittedly, it's a bit cliche... I mean, there are four judges that choose their teams (like The Voice), the name itself (reminiscent of a lot of competitive cooking shows), the four judges then judge the food (every other cooking show), and the best individual is awarded with immunity for one episode while the worst individual is kicked off.

What's really different about this show is that the judges actually blindly taste the food that they're judging. So they could actually be kicking one of their own members off the show.

I know. It's intense.

But regardless, The Taste is a show worth watching. Even if you don't watch cooking shows, The Taste has some pretty spectacular competition. Plus, Anthony Bourdain is on it.
Tiffany P.
Pop Culture Expert
Who is your favorite judge?
Sybil Y.
Oakland, CA
Do you think Anthony Bourdain is a sellout for joining the host cast of the show?
Colin J.
Bloomington, IN
If you were in the competition what would you create in a spoonful?
Flory F.
Marysville , CA
Do you like what they cook?
Amy B.
What's your favorite thing about "The Taste"?