The Spectacular Now uploaded by Heidi L.

BY JAMES PONSOLDT

With sly humor and an intensity of feeling, THE SPECTACULAR NOW creates a vivid, three-dimensional portrait of youth confronting the funny, thrilling and perilous business of modern love and adulthood. This is the tale of Sutter Keely (Miles Teller), a high school senior and effortless charmer, and of how he unexpectedly falls in love with "the good girl" Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley). What starts as an unlikely romance, becomes a sharp-eyed, straight-up snapshot of the heady confusion and haunting passion of youth – one that doesn’t look for tidy truths. The film was written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber ((500) DAYS OF SUMMER) and is based on the book, The Spectacular Now, by Tim Tharp. The film also features wonderful supporting turns from Brie Larson, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Bob Odenkirk.

• Would this be appropriate for a 12 year old boy...would he unders...1 Answers
  • Is this a really good movie?1 Answers
  • Should I read the book first or watch the movie?3 Answers
Mechlia S.
Roswell, NM
I was lucky enough to see The Spectacular Now at an advance screening, and walking out, I had the unmistakable feeling that I can only describe as a "good movie buzz.
" You feel a little light on your feet. You're thinking not only about what you've just seen, but how it relates to you. It's a heartfelt story that distills all of the beauty, tenderness, and apocalyptic bleakness of youth into a 95 minute love story that portrays teenagers in the most honest way since the films of John Hughes. The Spectacular Now won Sundance's special jury prize for acting and within minutes, the reason for this becomes apparent. Beautiful, naturalistic performances all around. Miles Teller portrays Sutter Keely with charisma and an effervescent charm while Shailene Woodley imbues Aimee Finicky with a tender shyness that makes her character incredibly endearing. When you watch the two of them on screen together, their chemistry is not just apparent, it's intoxicating. And it's not just a movie held together by its performances. Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber have written an incredible screenplay with flawed yet likable characters you can't help but root for, and James Ponsoldt has delicately directed the script to make his best movie to date. The Spectacular Now is much more than another indie darling. It has breathed life into the "teen movie" genre by treating its characters with maturity and honesty. This is the coming of age movie of our time.
Danielle Y.
Champaign, IL
I watch a lot of movies, I mean, A LOT. Pretty much my past time fun, no bars nothing like that.

So, I was pretty stoked to watch this movie. I watched the trailer in IMDB and though "hey! This might be an amazing straight dialogue film, and a great story plot"

No, I was bored, and I very rarely get bored of a movie I look into, i don't know if it could be the main actor, the fact that EVERYONE of his films in his career is a "sarcastic, don't Give a F#*? Attitude" and that he seems like a smug guy that I can see how he really acts in person?

But I was disappointed, the cinematography wasn't even that great, the script was bland.

The trailer basically covered all the. Good parts and left you hanging..

The spectacular now?
More like the spectacular "never",

Sorry to be harsh. But, it's the truth.
Allison H.
Normal, IL
This movie really makes you think. its very real and different in the way that its a love story told completely from the guys point of view. the main character really reminded me of someone i personally knew and really explained a lot to me and figure them out as a suggestion of what could possibly go on in their head. it dragged a little at first but i was so glad to have stumbled upon this movie and watched it because it was like reading a good book
Mikaela C.
I absolutely love this movie more than you could imagine. This movie was so unexpected in my opinion but I'm so happy that my family and I came across it. With the humor and unlikely pair this movie is one to watch may many times for the heartwarming feeling and humor.
Heidi L.
Los Angeles, CA
I've only read the book and I can honestly say it hooks people. I finished it in one day. The characters are so real and the scenes in the books are just amazing. The reason for four stars is because I disliked the ending.
Jessica C.
Santa Clara, CA
Really liked this coming of age story of the classic cool guy dating the shy girl and how their relation progresses. The two main actors are great and their interactions feel really genuine.
Alicia G.
Newbury, OH
I'm a gusher over these romantic movies. Ugh. I love it. I pretty much love any romantic movie. Got it on dvd too!
Lindsey T.
Norfolk, VA
This movie gave me so many emotions. First I'll tell you what I liked. I liked the way these actors didn't look like movie stars--they looked like average teens and they were styled like average teens. It added a lot of authenticity to the movie. I absolutely LOVED Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley and I truly feel like their performances in this film were top notch. I believed every thing they did and every word they said. This movie made me laugh and it made me cry. When I saw the ending, I was incredibly disappointed and immediately afterwards I felt like I had wasted my time. However, the next day all I could think about was watching the movie again. So I did. Several more times. And each time I loved it more and felt more for the characters. I think the ending disappointed me because it is so real--it wasn't some kind of magical happy ending. It was real life, which can be disappointing. But I still had to go back for more and I find that I really do love this movie. I watched it for free through Amazon Instant Video but I bought it for myself afterwards and plan on buying the book as well. I am addicted.
Christina B.
I read both the movie and the book, and the book absolutely made my heart melt. this looks like just another chick flick, yes, but it is so much more, honestly. the movie, at least, played so true to how teenagers feel and think; something I feel is often overlooked by the older side of society these days. this movie very nicely expressed the toughness of young relationships and giving somebody else love. I would 100% recommend.
Casey C.
Cayce, SC
SPOILERS - I was hesitant going into this movie. I'm not a huge fan of Shailene Woodley. This movie was pretty boring. A boring popular boy with too many issues to count convinced a shy, nerdy girl that she should lose her virginity and basically do anything for him while he does nothing but get black out drunk and screw up. Then he's so upset when she moves on (which takes FAR too long in my opinion). To me, this was a just a movie about a teenage girl being a little too naive and dumb.
Josie K.
Star Prairie, WI
Anyone else feel Shaileen is the new face for Romance movies?
Katie P.
Avon, IN
Does anyone else hate the ending of the movie?
Shannon C.
Amelia Ct Hse, VA
Pop Culture Expert
Should I read the book first or watch the movie?
Caroline B.
Should I read the book first?
Michelle H.
Angier, NC
Pop Culture Expert
Would this be appropriate for a 12 year old boy...would he understand?