BY STANLEY KUBRICK #21 in Movies

All work and no play makes Academy Award-winner Jack Nicholson ("As Good As It Gets," "Batman"), the caretaker of an isolated resort, go way off the deep end, terrorizing his young son and wife Shelley Duvall ("Roxanne"). Master filmmaker Stanley Kubrick's ("Full Metal Jacket," "2001: A Space Odyssey") visually haunting chiller, based on the bestseller by master-of-suspense Stephen King ("The Stand," "Carrie," "The Shawshank Redemption"), is an undeniable contemporary classic. Newsweek Magazine calls this "the first epic horror film," full of indelible images, and a signature role for Nicholson whose character was recently selected by AFI for its' 50 Greatest Villains.

• What is your favorite Halloween/Horror movie?2 Answers
  • this cover looks crazy, thats my style. what is it about?1 Answers
  • I've heard this movie is so scary. Any thoughts?1 Answers
Buy on Jet.com*
  • "This movie is horror classic.. Best classic movie ever made since the exorcist." in 5 reviews
  • "Horror movies are supposed to SCARE you and entertain you at the same time and are meant to stick with you on a deep emotional level. " in 5 reviews
Eric S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
One of the greatest films of all time. Not merely within the horror genre but in the entirety of cinematic history itself.

While many argue over which film in Kubrick's filmography is his definitive masterpiece, I must say that this film is perhaps the most serious contender. Perhaps second only, in my opinion, to Full Metal Jacket.

Each frame has an unparalleled sense of complexity that only Kubrick could bring. I've seen this film numerous times and each viewing I find myself noticing new subtext, themes, and new levels of depth that previously went straight over my head.

In short, The Shining is a powerful piece of art that deserves to be experienced time and time again.
Gabrielle H.
Highland Park, MI
This is a cult classic I love jack nickel sons performance. It’s haunting, comedic and dark it does justice to the novel. Favorite scene would have to be when he’s on the typewriter and goes batty lol I recommend this for horror film lovers.
Dylan H.
Philadelphia, PA
If you are a scary movie lover look no further for your next movie to watch. This Kubrick film couldn’t be better. The cinematography is a film buffs dream. The story is frightening and entertaining. The acting is superb.
Danielle D.
Breaux Bridge, LA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
The shinning is old but I still live this movie. When I was a kid I was really scary. I also grew up in the hotel this movie was filmed in. My grandma was the security guard my hole child hood I was always there. It's still creepy walking down the hallways . But the recently tore down the bellview
Katy S.
Winnsboro , SC
I was scared to watch this movie whenever I was 11 + home alone with my brother. Reason why is because well I hadn't started watching scary movies yet. And now I can sit there and laugh at this movie. But at the time it did terrifying as a child. Sew a plus Stephen King once again
katie f.
Ashville, PA
Another wonderful classic by the great Stephen King! This movie will forever be etched in the mind of those who have seen it. Nicholson does an amazing job in his role. You watch this movie questioning if he really is acting or if it is all real! This is one of those movies that will cause you to look behind you while walking down a long hallway. This is definitely one of the best scary movies of all time!
Jenna M.
Lewiston, ME
Classic horror movie. Beautiful, memorable shots. Great storytelling.  I've rewatched it and it does not get old.  Obviously the reveal is a one time pleasure, but the cinematography and plot can be enjoyed over and over again. Mr. King does it again.
Ashley H.
I thought the book was a lot better because I lost myself for days in it but this film was great on its own. A lot of the plot seems dry up until the famous scenes where Jack Nicholson's character goes insane. But I would definitely watch it again
Christen F.
Manalapan, NJ
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Red Rum... Red Rum... Although, I do live Jack I have to say the movie was kept your interest and had some pretty scary parts.  It's a total classic and I would def go see it if you haven't already.  Jack makes the movie although, I have seen better movies I did enjoy this one.
Cassandra Z.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Classic horror movie if you're a fan! Kubrick has always been the man with stuff like this. Definitely weird and if for some reason you haven't seen it yet, set aside about 2 1/2 hours and get on it!
Julie W.
Spotswood, NJ
Was this movie based on a stephen king novel?
Caroline W.
Needham, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Your favorite movie part ?
Brittany E.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Okay, but for real, how scary is this movie? I've put off watching it because everyone tells me it's terrifying, but I am also afraid it's over hyped.
Christina G.
Is this movie good? The only Stephen King movie based off a book Ive seen is IT and I liked that one but idk if The Shining will be good. Ive heard here and there it is but im still not sure
molly k.