BY STANLEY KUBRICK

All work and no play makes Academy Award-winner Jack Nicholson ("As Good As It Gets," "Batman"), the caretaker of an isolated resort, go way off the deep end, terrorizing his young son and wife Shelley Duvall ("Roxanne"). Master filmmaker Stanley Kubrick's ("Full Metal Jacket," "2001: A Space Odyssey") visually haunting chiller, based on the bestseller by master-of-suspense Stephen King ("The Stand," "Carrie," "The Shawshank Redemption"), is an undeniable contemporary classic. Newsweek Magazine calls this "the first epic horror film," full of indelible images, and a signature role for Nicholson whose character was recently selected by AFI for its' 50 Greatest Villains.

• What is your favorite Halloween/Horror movie?2 Answers
  • this cover looks crazy, thats my style. what is it about?1 Answers
  • I've heard this movie is so scary. Any thoughts?1 Answers
The Shining
  • "Horror movies are supposed to SCARE you and entertain you at the same time and are meant to stick with you on a deep emotional level. " in 5 reviews
  • "This movie is horror classic.. Best classic movie ever made since the exorcist." in 5 reviews
Becky S.
1,141 reviews
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
In my opinion this is one of Stephen King's best works that was also made in to a movie. I think that Jack Nicholson leads a great cast in acting and the suspense is awesome. Even though this was made in an era before computerized graphics and crazy special effect gore makeup/props; it still satisfies the horror and suspense genre. It strikes fear on the physical, psychological and verbal planes.
Eric S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
One of the greatest films of all time. Not merely within the horror genre but in the entirety of cinematic history itself.

While many argue over which film in Kubrick's filmography is his definitive masterpiece, I must say that this film is perhaps the most serious contender. Perhaps second only, in my opinion, to Full Metal Jacket.

Each frame has an unparalleled sense of complexity that only Kubrick could bring. I've seen this film numerous times and each viewing I find myself noticing new subtext, themes, and new levels of depth that previously went straight over my head.

In short, The Shining is a powerful piece of art that deserves to be experienced time and time again.
Kristen D.
Haverhill, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This movie is one that everyone should see. Jack Nicholson was made for this movie. I can’t imaging anyone else playing his role. I’m not a huge fan of Shelley Duvall but she did a great job as well. The camera work and the sound effects just added to the ambiance of the hotel. And I’ll never stay in room 237 in any hotel.
Gabrielle H.
Highland Park, MI
This is a cult classic I love jack nickel sons performance. It’s haunting, comedic and dark it does justice to the novel. Favorite scene would have to be when he’s on the typewriter and goes batty lol I recommend this for horror film lovers.
Dylan H.
Philadelphia, PA
If you are a scary movie lover look no further for your next movie to watch. This Kubrick film couldn’t be better. The cinematography is a film buffs dream. The story is frightening and entertaining. The acting is superb.
Amanda J.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is my all time favorite film! It’s suspenseful and downright scary! Jack does an excellent job playing Jack Torrance. I’ve watched this film several times and never get tired of it! It’s just that good!
Stephanie M.
Waverly, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This is one of Stephens Kings best horror stories by far! I wish i had read the book before I seen the movie because I like to read the books before. Just my own personal preference. The movie was as amazing as the book though. Stephen King always delivers the best!
Michelle L.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
It is a scary movie. I can watch it over and over again. It's a classic. The actors are good in this movie. The ending is interesting and leaves you with questions.
katie f.
Ashville, PA
Another wonderful classic by the great Stephen King! This movie will forever be etched in the mind of those who have seen it. Nicholson does an amazing job in his role. You watch this movie questioning if he really is acting or if it is all real! This is one of those movies that will cause you to look behind you while walking down a long hallway. This is definitely one of the best scary movies of all time!
Danielle D.
Breaux Bridge, LA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
The shinning is old but I still live this movie. When I was a kid I was really scary. I also grew up in the hotel this movie was filmed in. My grandma was the security guard my hole child hood I was always there. It's still creepy walking down the hallways . But the recently tore down the bellview
Julie W.
Spotswood, NJ
Was this movie based on a stephen king novel?
Caroline W.
Needham, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Your favorite movie part ?
Brittany E.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Okay, but for real, how scary is this movie? I've put off watching it because everyone tells me it's terrifying, but I am also afraid it's over hyped.
Christina G.
Is this movie good? The only Stephen King movie based off a book Ive seen is IT and I liked that one but idk if The Shining will be good. Ive heard here and there it is but im still not sure
molly k.