BY THE SECRET WORLD

The Secret World
  • "I have sunk about forty hours into this game so far, and while I absolutely love it, I highly recommend playing with other people." in 1 review
  • "Still, it's a pretty good game." in 1 review
  • "I loved this game when it first came out." in 1 review
  • "You don't need to buy anything from the cash shop to be successful in the game unlike other MMOs but the download content is really fun to play." in 1 review
Darcy A.
Plattsburgh, NY
PRETTY FUN AND INTERESTING GAME! PRETTY COOL THAT YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT TALENTS YOU WANT. NO MONTHLY FEE. SMALL 1 TIME FEE AND THEN YOU CAN PLAY WHENEVER! COULD USE SOME NEW FEATURES AND UPDATES! BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT'S A PRETTY FUN GAME!
joel l.
Bancroft, MI
Great game and good graphics
Courtney P.
Beaverton, OR
I have sunk about forty hours into this game so far, and while I absolutely love it, I highly recommend playing with other people. I'm actually discouraged about how difficult it is to solo, even with a good build and weapons combination. I have played a lot of MMOs solo, and I've never experienced so much death and frustration as I have in The Secret World.

However, the positives of this game, if you can find someone to play with, are huge. The home areas are beautiful, with lots to explore (I recommend playing as a Templar), and the mythos of each of the combat areas are intense and, while maybe not super original, very fun to play in. The missions are very interesting, and quite unique. While some are pretty straightforward (kill 10 draug, escort the security bot), others are very complicated, requiring you to use your brain (or the internet) and do actual outside research to complete the quest. The leveling system is great too. In most MMOs, the more you level, the longer it takes to level up. In TSW, you gain AP and SP at a steady rate, which you use to upgrade your weapons and equipment.
Tasha S.
Panama City, FL
I was really interested in the premise of this game but it just couldn't keep my attention. It seemed too repetitive maybe? I've played several different MMOs and I'd say this one is about middle of the pack.
Ryla B.
This game is so unique and original that there isn't any other games like it. Example: the introduction to investigation missions which the game has a built in google system you'll need to use to help solve some of those type of missions. There are no classes or levels just a TON of abilities and varies weapons to choose from. There are 3 fractions to choose from and a lot of customization can be done to your character. You don't need to buy anything from the cash shop to be successful in the game unlike other MMOs but the download content is really fun to play.
Julian R.
Orlando, FL
Great game for the price and it makes you wonder about the societies that sit in our world as myths and fables.
Kayla S.
My husband and I played this together for about 2 months. I liked the game when we were able to play together. However, there are "Solo Instances" that you sometimes just stumble into. That would constantly make me nervous. Eventually, we both just gave up.
Christina D.
I loved this game when it first came out. I quit before Tokyo was released sadly. The biggest draw of this game is it's modern Lovecraftian theme which it executes flawlessly through out of game puzzles that engages the community and the story which tugs at you from the tentacley darkness, drawing you forward to discover how far the corruption goes.

Sadly, the main storyline is where the game sort of abruptly stops. The PvP was enjoyable for me for a long time but admittedly, it was very predictable. Depending on what time of day it was, you could tell what faction was going to be dominating the map through sheer numbers.

The "no classes" bit is the same like other games where while they do not provide specific trees for certain tasks but in reality, no matter how "open" a game makes it, players will inevitably fall into tank, dps, and healer roles. Where PvE shines though are the "dungeons". Even though these instances do not randomize, I like the fact that you basically go from one boss battle to another and you are not required to waste time clearing trash mobs. The boss battles are fun due to the complexity (like much of the combat in TSW, you cannot just stand still, spam buttons, and not pay attention) and the nightmare versions are indeed a challenge even for those who have run them many times.

The downsides are again, nothing really to do after finishing the main storyline. Also, certain bugs with pathing that made stealth missions ridiculously hard for no reason other than mobs seeing through or walking through walls. In addition, I did not like the idea of having a subscription setup as well as a cash shop. While they changed it to pay once to play, I feel they became a tad greedy with that initially and that may have kept them from getting the player numbers they needed to maintain their setup.

But beyond that, the game was great. The lack of handholding was refreshing. You needed to figure things out for yourself. Some of the missions were very creative, making you decipher morse code and such. I also believe the solo quest instancing was also a good feature at times because you shouldn't always depend on others to get you through tough situations. Yes, I got frustrated a lot with this game. Yes, I died a lot in this game. But with the way the character builds were set up, you could (and you should) make different builds for different situations. The in-game browser encouraged you to reverse image search on Google or translate Romanian text. The game encourages approaching problems from different angles and that, in my book, is pretty damn cool.
Jorden V.
Dublin, CA
Great game, standard MMO, interesting twist with the secret societies. Optional paid add-ons, as well. My fiance and I picked this up and play together on and off, but the first adventure - your standard zombie hunt - was a little cliche? Still, it's a pretty good game.
Andrea M.
Winnipeg
A very awesome game! I absolutely love the concept of having different options to choose from without becoming a specific "class" or having only one weapon to use. Unlike most MMORPGs there is no specific "path" to follow. This game is the ultimate definition of a "free world" MMORPG. Missions can be repeated over and over again and they are not only limited to just killing mobs but also involves a lot of thinking, dungeons are both a challenge and a fun aspect of the game! Mainly because there are specific ways to beat bosses which definitely hypes up most players. The story has an incredible concept to it which puts secret societies and some parts of the world history together to form a mind-blowing fictional story! I honestly have nothing else but positive words to describe this game! Awesome job to the team who created this game! I highly recommend playing this game, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!