BY NONE

Antonia S.
Grove City, OH
Love love love this book! The moment I got it in the mail I read it front to back within a few days!! I have read the second of the trilogy and have been waiting for the third for what feels like forever. It is a blend of game of thrones, lord of the rings, and Snow White. ❤️ do yourself a favor and read it!!
Rhoda K.
Kelsea is heir to the Tearling throne. She has been raised in seclusion, educated and prepared for her life as Queen. For the past 19 years her life has been in danger. Assassins have long hunted her, many sent by her Uncle the Regent who doesn’t want to give up his power.

Upon turning 19 a band of guards arrive to remove Kelsea from her home, a little cottage in the forest, everything she knows and deliver her to the capital where she will be crowned. However the assassins are hard on their tails and to compound her troubles Kelsea needs to try to distinguish friend from foe.

Being raised in seclusion by two sworn to preserve her mother’s secrets, Kelsea knows very little of the politics of her world. Her journey to the capital opens her eyes to the world. She sees her Kingdom in trouble and takes a brave first step into her reign as Queen. A step which enrages the Red Queen of neighbouring Mortmesne and surely brings war upon her people?

I found myself particularly absorbed by the journey to the capital, trying to evade capture and death, as well as learning more about the Kingdom as a whole. I felt it gave a great foundation to the book, with Kelsea and her guards slowly getting to know one another. So by the time Kelsea arrived at the capital, I felt I had a good impression of what she was about.

I like the character of Kelsea and how her character develops over the course of the book. From her first act as Queen to her determination to rescue her people, she’s a very likeable character.

If there was something I didn’t like about this book, it’s the predictability of it. Don’t get me wrong; it did surprise me in places, but I just felt some parts were rather predictable.

On the whole I think this is a great first book. It whets the reader’s appetite and builds a foundation where really anything could happen in the next two books. Honestly, I can’t wait to read on, I anticipate more magic and less predictability to the story so we shall see what happens…

(This review first appeared on my blog)