BY GARRY MARSHALL #26 in Movies

Shy San Francisco teenager Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) is thrown for a loop when, from out of the blue, she learns the astonishing news that she's a real-life princess! As the heir apparent to the crown of the small european principality of Genovia, Mia begins a comical journey towards the throne when her strict and formidable grandmother, queen Clarisse Renaldi (Julie Andrews), shows up to give her "princess lesson." The two instantly clash - Mia has no intention of leaving her normal life to become the ruler of a far-off country, while queen Clarisse insists it is her duty. Clarisse is determined to do a complete makeover of this sparkling - if not polished - diamond in the rough in order that she take her rightful place in the royal line of succession. Now the reluctant princess must make the biggest decision of her life - whether to remain with her family - or leave everything behind to accept the royal responsibilities that comes with being the princess of genovia.

• Which ones better this one or number 2?44 Answers
  • Did anyone else hope they're foot was gonna "pop" as a ki...16 Answers
  • Don't you wish you were a princess?15 Answers
The Princess Diaries
  • "Anne Hathaway is beautiful and such a talented actress, along with Julie Andrews, best of both worlds! " in 25 reviews
  • "A great movie for young women about self worth and valuing who you are as a person and not who society expects you to be! " in 20 reviews
  • "this is one of my favorite movies:) i still find myself watching this now, she grew so much as an actress." in 11 reviews
  • "I used to watch this film all the time, its a great film to watch and a good story line" in 7 reviews
  • "This was such a cute movie, with very unique characters." in 6 reviews
Himali B.
Westminster, CO
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Anna Hathway has always been my favourite actor. She is the best. She is so beautiful & talented. I loved her in this movie. She is hilarious & so fun to watch. This movie is so amazing her transformation, the storyline, her grandmother, her mom, her friends evrything is so great. You can watch it with your family on movie nights, I must have seen it for 9-10 times, it never gets old.
Athena A.
Spokane , WA
I’ve loved this movie for as long as I can remember. It’s concept is amazing, Julie Andrews is a gem, and young Anne Hathaway is a quirky lovable teen that you can’t help but relate to. If you love Greys Anatomy, you’ll like the Princess Diaries, it’s made by the creator of Greys, Shonda Rhimes, and has our very own Cristina Yang, and Callie Torres’ father.
Bailey F.
Reedley
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I just watched this movie for the first time in a while and it is as good as I remember. Anne Hathaway is great and Julie Andrews, we all know, is amazing! This movie is great and has a great soundtrack. I recommend this to all young girls, it's certainly a feel good movie.
Heather C.
Lake village , AR
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I loved this movie so much. It was and still is one of my all time favorite movies. Because Mia is such a relatable person when it comes to awkward teen girls. She starts out as the typical teen mess, but getst ransformed into an ellegant princess
Hope J.
Burnet
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!! Mia is soooo funny! Am I the only one the really really reallllyyy wanted the queen as my own grandmother?? If you haven’t watched this you need to! I have watched it multiple times.
Danielle K.
Annandale, VA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Actually I really enjoyed this film, more than I thought! The acting is really cheesy, but the good thing is it is appropriate for the whole family. Some of the cast are great with Julie Andrews, whom I love. The fashion is great too. The story line is very predictable, but overall a sweet film that would be good viewing for the whole family.
Kimberly A.
Burbank, CA
This is one movie I can never click by when it comes on TV. Fantastic for a couple hours of light fun fluff. It's clear to see why Ann Hathaway became a superstar and anything with Julie Andrews is worth watching. I have a soft spot for the Queen Clarisse - Joseph subplot, but I also love the way the relationship builds between the Queen and her granddaughter.
Michelle H.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Princess Diaries was one of my favorite Disney movies growing up! Anne Hathaway did a great job embodying an awkward teenage girl learning about how she's actual royalty. Even better, Julie Andrews embodies everything a QUEEN should be. It's a very family fun movie and great for sleepovers.
Lauren W.
Dallas, TX
Julie Andrews will forever be a Queen. This was one of my favorite movies from my childhood, so cute and funny with a great storyline and cast. I wasn't a fan of the second one though. I loved everything about this movie, and my future kids will be watching it for sure.
Becca L.
Mountain home, AR
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This is a cute movie. I wish I could just wake up one day and discover that I am a princess. I think I could manage that alright. This use to come on disney. Now disney only plays lame stuff so i dont really know where to find it anymore. would suggest.
Cynthia G.
Which ones better this one or number 2?
Johnneia T.
Kailua Kona, HI
Can u still find this in stores?
Tyler B.
Grandview, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Did anyone else hope they're foot was gonna "pop" as a kid when meeting the right guy? Lol
Cindy M.
Westminster , CO
Don't you wish you were a princess?
Cheryl  .
Prince Rupert , BC
Overall, what's your thoughts about this movie?