BY BOOKS ALL PUBLISHER TITLES

W illiam Goldman’s beloved novel has sold over one million copies. A movie, released twenty years ago, perfectly captured the spirit of the book and has introduced new fans to its pages ever since. In 1941 a young boy lies bedridden from pneumonia. His perpetually disheveled and unattractive father, an immigrant from Florin with terribly broken English, shuffles into his bedroom carrying a book. The boy wants to know if it has any sports. His father says, "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and... see more...

• "It's very funny and a wonderful read!" in 1 review
  • "My whole family loves this movie." in 1 review
  • "Strongly dislike this book, the movie really ruined it for me." in 1 review
Jay C.
Lewisburg, TN
One of the best books I've read. It's exciting and fast pace. Definitely worth the read. While it's fictional the author makes it seem real. Its very funny, but if you don't watch closely you will miss the humor. The story is excellent, and the characters are great.
Myra B.
Flint
Fencing, fighting, pirates,a princess, revenge, conspiracy, miracles, and wuv twue wuv . . . Ahhh I mean love,true love. What more could you ask for. I loved the movie growing up and I love this book. Fast paced packed with action and adventure as well as ROUS'S.
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
The story that inspired the movie. The book truly is good. Not nearly as cheesy as the movie. I would say 13 and up read the book. It is a great modern day classic for sure. You must read it at least once.
Lydia D.
Durham, NC
When you read this book be prepared to pretty much follow along with the movie word for word. As others have said though there are lots more insights too. I found that it let you notice much more about the movie that you don't get even if you've watched it a hundred times. It's a great read for your next sick day when you need a story that's the equivalent of comfort food.
Morgan P.
I grew up watching the movie but was recently gifted a copy of the book. It was so meta! I loved the humor throughout the book that wasn't often carried over to the movie. Part of the book, though, were word-for-word in the movie, which made reading it even more enjoyable since I'm such a fan of the movie. It was great to know even more about our favorite characters. I highly recommend this book!
Ben S.
Riverton, UT
This was a good read. I, like almost everyone, saw the movie first. I'm surprised how close the two are to each other. I did really enjoy the back stories that are missing in the movie.

What I did not enjoy was Goldman. I did not enjoy the whole "abridgment" gimmick. It would have been ok if it didn't take so much explanation and if it didn't feel like Goldman was just being lazy and glossing over parts he didn't want to write even though the story needed them.
Amanda R.
Bremen, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
My fiance introduced my to this movie when we were just dating and it quickly became one of my favorites! I have always enjoyed princesses/renaissance movies but, the acting is cheesy which is perfect the costumes are great and the love is just everything. We will be incorporating lots of quotes in our upcoming wedding!
Samantha P.
Springville, AL
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
The story is absolutely amazing. I was actually berated by my husband for never having watched it and after watching and reading it twice I have to agree that I was in the wrong by missing this one. Get the original book if you can though, even the kindle version of that was more enjoyable than this one.
Anna H.
Tucker, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. It's funny but not in a way where they're trying too hard. My favorite part is when the masked man is battling the three men who have taken the maiden for ransom. It's a must watch movie for sure. Love it.
Brindley F.
Atlanta, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I force this book and movie upon all my friends. The humor and romance is just an intoxicating combination and easily pleases anyone. Definitely a timeless movie, albeit some scenes become more silly and fake looking as technology advances.