The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky

Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. but there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. Since its publication, Stephen Chbosky's haunting debut novel has received critical acclaim, provoked discussion and debate, grown into a cult phenomenon with over two million copies in print, spent over six months at #1 on the "New York Times "bestseller list, and inspired a major motion picture. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a story about what it's like to travel that strange course through the uncharted territory of high school. The world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. Of sex, drugs, and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." Of those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

I’m not a teenager anymore so I was wondering: do you think this is worth reading for those that aren’t teens any longer?
I loved the movie and want to read the book but was told it got pretty graphic at times. Would you rate this book pg-13 or R?
Did you love reading this book? What kind of a read is it?
Start your review of The Perks of Being a Wallflower!
Product Highlights
It's an easy read and a fun story, but there is definitely deeper subject matter and I would only recommend it to high school or older who can really understand what the real message is.in reviews
although sad at times, it's a quick read and something that i would recommend to others.in reviews
Such a great book that I always felt like I could relate to because i always felt like a bit of a loner and was a definite introvert.in reviews
While I read it again recently and didn't like it quite as much, I still felt that I related to it and I really enjoyed the writing style.in reviews
Not only are you learning of the struggles the main character has gone through, but you also learn of his sister's struggles and how he helps her along his own path in life. in reviews
Cheyenne D.
Utica, NY
The feeling of innocence, warmth, rawness, and nostalgia this book give you is indescribable. Few books could be so arresting.
Danielle H.
Chandler, AZ
I first read this book in high school and finished it in one sitting. Very relatable and compelling.
Tracy R.
Slemp, KY
THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK EVERY AND I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW MUCH IT MEANS TO MEANS TO ME. JUST PLEASE GO READ IT RIGHT NOW OMFG. It was life changing and I'm literally so glad i read it. i practically watch the movie every week so i can relive his high school experience and how his life gets so much better. He's a wallflower and accepts it.
Heather W.
Auburn, MI
The Perks of Being a Wallflower left me a wreck. The book is so relatable and I felt like the characters were friends of mine. Charlie is a shell of a person whom you see beginning to bloom and become real
Abby N.
Homestead, PA
This is a great easy read that has been turned in to a movie. I read it when I was in middle school and found it hard to put down.
Sandy E.
Fredericksburg, VA
I love this book. I also loved the classic Catcher in the Rye. To me, this book is a modernization of the classic, focusing on the modern day struggles of being a teen in society. If you haven't read it, it's definitely worth reading.
Brooke H.
Elyria, OH
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a book that everyone should read. It is SO easy to relate to, I mean if you've ever been a high school student or felt like you didn't belong, even for a second…you will understand Charlie's struggles. Charlie is this sweet innocent and deep character that you grow to love. You want to help him through his hard time and because of that you find it impossible to stop reading through the book written in the style of his personal journal. His friends and his life experiences dip deep into you and you feel as though you are part of them. Some of the quotes from this book will stick with me forever. MUST READ BEFORE WATCHING THE FILM.
Melissa H.
I absolutely loved this book. I read it when I was a junior in high school and 4 years later it is still one of my all time favorites! It's beautifully written, and the characters are extremely easy to relate to for most teenagers. If you're looking for an emotional, real, raw story, The Perks Of Being a Wallflower will not disappoint!
Monica G.
Palmdale, CA
This book its so good. Talks about a freshman in High school named Charlie and well it about his life a experience, really loved it
Maria T.
Newport, MI
I was so upset when I heard this book would be released as a movie. And although I will admit the movie was better than expected, the book is far better. The narrator's ability to convey his emotional inadequacies gives the book far greater worth than can be experienced via movie screen. The relationships are developed so clearly and emotionally, you feel as if you are one of the characters. I genuinely could not put this book down - I highly recommend it.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...