The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone

by The Ordinary

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant that brightens the skin tone and reduces the appearance of signs of aging. This water-free formula provides 30% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. Due to the presence of very light silicones, this formulation feels smooth on the skin despite the suspension format of the formulation, avoiding the short-lived gritty feeling of our original Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, a very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated. If the sensation is too strong to tolerate, the formula can be mixed on each application with other creams or serums of your preference.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in heavier silicone bases. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of heavy silicones to offer better exposure to the Vitamin C content. However, please note that this formulation would still offer slightly less efficient exposure to Vitamin C than our silicone-free Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. The additional Vitamin C content (30%) in this silicone base helps offset the slight impairment to dermal exposure.

Usage: Apply a small amount to face in the AM or the PM (PM preferred). Avoid contact with the eyes. A tingling sensation can be expected after application. If this sensation is too strong, this formula can be diluted on each application with your favourite serum or cream. If irritation occurs, cease use and consult a physician. Use only as directed on unbroken skin. Patch testing prior to use is advised. Refer to our in-depth guide to patch testing. Keep out of reach of children.

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Ascorbic Acid, Polysilicone-11, PEG-10 Dimethicone.

How does this Vitamin C serum compare to others on the market?
I have been dealing with intense acne and, as a result of this, excessive scars and marks on my skin. I tried to use The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone, but that resulted in even more breakouts overnight. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do not only for my acne but for the resulting scars as well?
I have this product, however sometimes it gets clumpy, or too silicone-y. How do you prevent it from clumping?
Start your review of The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone!
New Castle
It is a product of sorbic acid. There is usually a slight tingling in the skin during the first applications of the product. Its texture is not granules, it is softer and easier to spread, although it is somewhat sticky, which is why it is sometimes more pleasant mixed with other products such as ferulic acid, another antioxidant from The Ordinary.
Dark Circles
New Castle, DE
I don't recommend it at all! It balls up and takes forever to absorb (at least try to...) I've tried different ways to apply it but none of them work
Combination / Acne, Large Pores, Scarring / Dark Circles
Murfreesboro, TN
The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone uploaded by Miranda H.
Very strong! Great results. Ive been using this for about a month and I love it! My skin looks more even and bright. Ive used a million vitamin C's, but this I by far the strongest--but doest make me feel sensitive what so ever. it does tingle upon the first few uses, but I feel like that is just showing me how strong and potent it is. Great product over all!
Combination / Acne, Sun Damage
I don't usually buy products with silicone but I chose to for this one and I'm not disappointed. This is a STRONG dose of vitamin C so beware if you're just starting out. If you have even the slightest abrasion on your face.. this will STING. It doesn't last long just know that it will. I have noticed a huge difference in the hyperpigmentation on my face using this and a couple other products of theirs. I also think it would make a great primer with the silicone.
Combination, Sensitive / Redness, Fine Lines, Sensitivity / Dark Circles, Fine Lines
Washington DC
I love The Ordinary brand and use their The Ordinary. Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 and The Ordinary. AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution regularly in my skin care routine. But I will definitely not recommend this one - first of all it smells very bad and I didn’t feel any impact. If you wanna include vitamin C in your skin care go with more expensive brands , my favorite is Volition Beauty Strawberry C-Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL
Combination / Blackheads, Large Pores, Fine Lines
Guelph
Ok I love this!! I only use it once a week, after the shower, but it has my skin feeling brand new every time!! At first it’s a little scary as did me it tingled a bit and literal pieces of my skin were peeling off but once it’s all rubbed in and applying lotion afterwards it’s legit like I have a new “set of skin” and very clear smooth almost perfect skin at that!
Dry, Sensitive / Redness, Fine Lines, Sensitivity / Fine Lines, Dry Eyes
I am on my second tube of this product. I started out with a small amount of this product since I have sensitive skin and I used it with Inkey Co-Q10. By the end of the week I was using a full dose, about half a dime size amount. My under eye dark circles are lessened and I have a more even tone. This definitely works for me and has the right price.
Combination / Acne, Large Pores, Fine Lines / Dark Circles, Puffiness, Fine Lines
This product is very strong and has quite a gritty texture. There is a bit of a burning sensation when applying to the face also. It unfortunately didn't work for my sensitive skin. I am acne prone and it seemed to also cause some breakouts. I have yet to find any Vitamin c product that works for me so I will continue to be on the hunt.
Oily, Combination, Sensitive / Acne, Blackheads, Dullness / Dark Circles, Fine Lines
Toronto
After using other vitamin C products, whether oil or cream, I cannot say this brand compares.  I find their squeeze bottles not very good for product use.  I get a burning unpleasant sensation when I use this and after when applying my cream it bunches up into balls as if the product is coming off.  Doesn't seem very efficient.
Combination / Acne, Large Pores, Redness / Dark Circles, Fine Lines, Dry Eyes
I really wanted to like this since it’s such a potent vitamin c at such an affordable price however I found the silicone texture hard to layer and beyond that sometimes I’ll get a skin burn even using it the same way I always do! I think I’ll try the lower concentration or go back to serums when I’m out
Dry, Sensitive / Acne, Blackheads, Large Pores / Dark Circles, Fine Lines
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
2 months ago
Danyelle S. • 2 months ago
I’m not sure if your scars are deep pitted scars, which I don’t think can be addressed with topical treatments alone. I used The Ordinarys hyperpigmentation regime that is posted on their website with great success. I used for 30-60 days consistently and most of my dark spots are gone. It was 3 or 4 different serums but they are cheap and last long. Check out their website for the regimens/routines specific to your needs. Also they will answer questions about their products on IG. Good luck!