The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone

by The Ordinary

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant that brightens the skin tone and reduces the appearance of signs of aging. This water-free formula provides 30% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. Due to the presence of very light silicones, this formulation feels smooth on the skin despite the suspension format of the formulation, avoiding the short-lived gritty feeling of our original Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, a very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated. If the sensation is too strong to tolerate, the formula can be mixed on each application with other creams or serums of your preference.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in heavier silicone bases. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of heavy silicones to offer better exposure to the Vitamin C content. However, please note that this formulation would still offer slightly less efficient exposure to Vitamin C than our silicone-free Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. The additional Vitamin C content (30%) in this silicone base helps offset the slight impairment to dermal exposure.

Usage: Apply a small amount to face in the AM or the PM (PM preferred). Avoid contact with the eyes. A tingling sensation can be expected after application. If this sensation is too strong, this formula can be diluted on each application with your favourite serum or cream. If irritation occurs, cease use and consult a physician. Use only as directed on unbroken skin. Patch testing prior to use is advised. Refer to our in-depth guide to patch testing. Keep out of reach of children.

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Ascorbic Acid, Polysilicone-11, PEG-10 Dimethicone.

How does this Vitamin C serum compare to others on the market?
I have been dealing with intense acne and, as a result of this, excessive scars and marks on my skin. I tried to use The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone, but that resulted in even more breakouts overnight. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do not only for my acne but for the resulting scars as well?
I have this product, however sometimes it gets clumpy, or too silicone-y. How do you prevent it from clumping?
Start your review of The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone!
Guelph
Ok I love this!! I only use it once a week, after the shower, but it has my skin feeling brand new every time!! At first it’s a little scary as did me it tingled a bit and literal pieces of my skin were peeling off but once it’s all rubbed in and applying lotion afterwards it’s legit like I have a new “set of skin” and very clear smooth almost perfect skin at that!
Dry, Sensitive / Redness, Fine Lines, Sensitivity / Fine Lines, Dry Eyes
Toronto
After using other vitamin C products, whether oil or cream, I cannot say this brand compares.  I find their squeeze bottles not very good for product use.  I get a burning unpleasant sensation when I use this and after when applying my cream it bunches up into balls as if the product is coming off.  Doesn't seem very efficient.
Combination / Acne, Large Pores, Redness / Dark Circles, Fine Lines, Dry Eyes
Nepean, ON
I use this product every night before bed, mixed with my normal hydrating products and my skin has never felt so fresh and glowing. This product is insanely cheap for the quality and will be repurchased by me for sure. It is hard to find high quality products for such a good price, that will not breakout sensitive skin
Dry, Sensitive / Redness
Kelowna, BC
The ordinary is one of the best and affordable brands I've ever bought. The value for money is amazing, the products work like a dream. The moisturizer is light and doesnt get greasy as the day goes on.
The ordinary love this stuff and live the ordinary.Was my go to skin line before influenster introduced Dermalogica in my life But this stuff is good a little goes a long way and it's very affordable.
Combination / Acne / Dark Circles
Who doesn’t need a vitamin c in there daily regimen? This vitamin c suspension 30% in silicon is all the vitamin c your face needs to stay smooth and healthy for a long time. The product is gentle on the skin and it leaves your face wanting more due to the immediate feeling you get after using it! Highly recommend!🥰
I love this product. It cleared up some of my acne scars. It’s a great price and a little goes a long way. I wish it was a bit less greasy though. It’s a bit harsh which is why i mix it with my moisturizer. I will be purchasing again!
London
I’ve been using this product for months and I’m happy with it. I love the tube packaging for minimizing air and light exposure. One thing to note, this product tingles when you first apply it but that tingling feeling doesn’t last long.
Combination / Blackheads, Dullness, Large Pores / Fine Lines
This stuff burned so bad! I wanted to love it, heard such great things of the ordinary but it really burned. I had to wash it off right away or instantly apply a gel moisturizer to cool it off. After about 7 uses it was empty, the tube came with very little product
Dark Circles, Puffiness, Fine Lines
I really like this vitamin c product. I really like the Ordinary products in tubes because the packaging is easy to squeeze and control how much comes out. I’ve only used this a year times but it hasn’t broke me out or made my face red. There is a slight tingle when I put it on but nothing uncomfortable. The price is amazing too.
Combination, Sensitive / Acne, Dullness, Large Pores / Dark Circles, Fine Lines
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
2 months ago
Danyelle S. • 2 months ago
I’m not sure if your scars are deep pitted scars, which I don’t think can be addressed with topical treatments alone. I used The Ordinarys hyperpigmentation regime that is posted on their website with great success. I used for 30-60 days consistently and most of my dark spots are gone. It was 3 or 4 different serums but they are cheap and last long. Check out their website for the regimens/routines specific to your needs. Also they will answer questions about their products on IG. Good luck!