The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone

by The Ordinary

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant that brightens the skin tone and reduces the appearance of signs of aging. This water-free formula provides 30% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. Due to the presence of very light silicones, this formulation feels smooth on the skin despite the suspension format of the formulation, avoiding the short-lived gritty feeling of our original Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, a very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated. If the sensation is too strong to tolerate, the formula can be mixed on each application with other creams or serums of your preference.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in heavier silicone bases. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of heavy silicones to offer better exposure to the Vitamin C content. However, please note that this formulation would still offer slightly less efficient exposure to Vitamin C than our silicone-free Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% formula. The additional Vitamin C content (30%) in this silicone base helps offset the slight impairment to dermal exposure.

Usage: Apply a small amount to face in the AM or the PM (PM preferred). Avoid contact with the eyes. A tingling sensation can be expected after application. If this sensation is too strong, this formula can be diluted on each application with your favourite serum or cream. If irritation occurs, cease use and consult a physician. Use only as directed on unbroken skin. Patch testing prior to use is advised. Refer to our in-depth guide to patch testing. Keep out of reach of children.

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Ascorbic Acid, Polysilicone-11, PEG-10 Dimethicone.

How does this Vitamin C serum compare to others on the market?
I have been dealing with intense acne and, as a result of this, excessive scars and marks on my skin. I tried to use The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone, but that resulted in even more breakouts overnight. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I can do not only for my acne but for the resulting scars as well?
I have this product, however sometimes it gets clumpy, or too silicone-y. How do you prevent it from clumping?
Start your review of The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone!
14 hours agoMurfreesboro
The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone uploaded by Miranda H.
Very strong! Great results. Ive been using this for about a month and I love it! My skin looks more even and bright. Ive used a million vitamin C's, but this I by far the strongest--but doest make me feel sensitive what so ever. it does tingle upon the first few uses, but I feel like that is just showing me how strong and potent it is. Great product over all!
a month ago
I don't usually buy products with silicone but I chose to for this one and I'm not disappointed. This is a STRONG dose of vitamin C so beware if you're just starting out. If you have even the slightest abrasion on your face.. this will STING. It doesn't last long just know that it will. I have noticed a huge difference in the hyperpigmentation on my face using this and a couple other products of theirs. I also think it would make a great primer with the silicone.
6 hours ago
I am on my second tube of this product. I started out with a small amount of this product since I have sensitive skin and I used it with Inkey Co-Q10. By the end of the week I was using a full dose, about half a dime size amount. My under eye dark circles are lessened and I have a more even tone. This definitely works for me and has the right price.
a day agoSn Bernrdno, CA
The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone uploaded by Kimberly R.
I really like this! It’s very very mattifying and I wear it comfortably under my makeup(with spf of course) and you cannot beat the price. Definitely recommend! It works as it says it does and brightens the skin. However It does sting a bit when applying so be wary of that if you have sensitive skin
9 days agoRed Oak, TX
Good product, since itching when first apply but if I mix with the moisturizer then it does not itch. Price point is good. The Ordinary. Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
2 months agoMassachusetts
I used this product to try and lighten dark underarms, dark elbows, and dark scars from ingrown hairs around my bikini line. It has done some lightening, however it had also turned my skin an orangey-yellow color in my armpits in the beginning - not sure why. I deducted a star because of the texture of the product. It doesn't really feel nice and has a sort of... weird dusty/grainy feel, so I avoid using it on my face.
20 days agoBlack Earth, WI
Provides a tingle sensation that helps show its working on my skin. Because of the silicone, it provides a matte effect to the skin which could be a great primer for oily skin. I personally am more dry and use this at night with my other skincare products.
2 months agoKansas City, MO
The Ordinary is incredible. Amazing price point for such great quality. The vitamin C in silicon goes on very smoothly, not gritty. Works well if you are being consistent with your skincare routine. But be sure to use sunscreen with this!
13 days agochicago, IL
Amazing lotion. I take it whenever I travel due to its smaller size and easy bottle. Works really well and pairs with my other skin products it’s ease. No issues with it i have no complaints at all. Would recommend
a month agoAllston, MA
This product has helped me smooth my facial expression lines around my mouth and on my forehead. I feel that some brown spots on my nose are also going away with this product. I love it!
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
2 months ago
Danyelle S. a month ago
I’m not sure if your scars are deep pitted scars, which I don’t think can be addressed with topical treatments alone. I used The Ordinarys hyperpigmentation regime that is posted on their website with great success. I used for 30-60 days consistently and most of my dark spots are gone. It was 3 or 4 different serums but they are cheap and last long. Check out their website for the regimens/routines specific to your needs. Also they will answer questions about their products on IG. Good luck!