BY THE ORDINARY

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant and its pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid has been shown to reverse multiple signs of skin ageing while brightening the skin when applied topically. This water-free, silicone-free formula provides 23% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. The system is supported with addition of dehydrated spheres of Hyaluronic Acid to offer visible surface smoothing alongside the benefits of Vitamin C. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Note: Based on recommendation from our customers, this formula is now offered in a tube format for easier dispensing.

This product is a water-free suspension of 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. The Ordinary's portfolio of Vitamin C includes the following formulations:

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate Solution 10%

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, there are 2 important things to consider:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in a silicone base to avoid the "powdery" feel of the suspension. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of silicones and offers complete and direct exposure of the entire powder content to the skin, maximizing topical delivery.

Heather W.
I love the ordinary products. No unnecessary fluff. Just science backed ingredients that are clearly labeled. Knowing exactly how much active ingredient in a product is rare, and the ordinary makes it easy to take control of your skincare routine. This product is one of the highest concentrations of vitamin C in the line. I have had no adverse reactions to it, but I’ve been using strong products on my face for years. The concentration of vitamin C could irritate sensitive skin. So I only recommend this to people who have already built up a tolerance to this kind of product. Otherwise, start with a lower concentration and go from there. This has a gritty texture but it doesn’t interfere with makeup application.
Elliot V.
Chevy Chase
This stuff makes my face so incredibly smooth, and gets rid of the darkness under my eyes so so well. I have incredibly dark under eyes and when using this there is almost no darkness left after about 15 minutes. It also helps to visibly reduce my deep-set smile and forehead lines. This does tingle quite a bit on me and I do not have sensitive skin, so my only warning would be try take caution if you do have sensitive skin.
Bella M.
corpus christi
While I really enjoy this Vit C suspension, I find it pretty gritty and it makes it a tad unpleasant to use but it goes away by the time I put on my moisturiser and I feel like it works well! I’m going to keep testing it out but right now I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I would definitely recommend this over the Vit C in silicone despite the grittiness because I personally don’t want silicones in my skincare.
Daisy B.
Los Angeles
I love the Ordinary. They're revolutionary in that they're bringing affordable skincare products to a market which has been dominated by high priced 'fancy' serums/creams. One point off for this review because of the gritty feeling with this serum. It goes on fine under makeup, however. makes me a little oily by the end of the day, but i'll take it for $6 a bottle.
Katie C.
Austin, TX
Unfortunately this product did not live up to the hype for me personally. I was excited to see the affordable pricing but between delayed shipping and little results over 10 weeks I would not purchase again. I am open to trying other items in the line as I have friends who highly recommend but personally will return to my other vitamin c product instead.
Clare B.
Kansas City, MO
I think this is a good starter vitamin c, but I plan to buy something else a little nicer when I finish it. It’s gritty and kind of weird, but not bad for the price. I have seen some results with my sun damage spots, but am hoping it gets better before I run out. I’m about halfway through my tube. Worth a try, especially if you’re on a budget.
Noël U.
Cupertino, CA
Most people complain about the texture, but I didn’t mind it. I stopped using this because once I added it to my routine, I got multiple blackheads all over my face! I’ve never ever had blackheads in my life, but for some reason this caused them.
Ashlei W.
This is first experience with a vitamin c serum. I’ve been using it for about a month, every other day. I mix a little bit with my moisturizer to get past the gritty texture of the serum itself. I swear I could see a difference in my skin after just a few uses, definitely brighter and more even skin tone.
Margaret P.
I don't think this is a bad product but I do think it was to aggressive for my skin. Because of the spheres it gave a slight physical exfoliation and that with the vitamin c was just to much stress on my skin.
lizzyb24 M.
Falls Church, VA
Amazing product. It does have a gritty feeling but that feeling goes away. It does sting when using but it’s not intolerable. This line uses strong ingredients and gives excellent results. The price point is much better than other similar products- their prices are at-least $5 more expensive. The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Cayce H.
Louisville , KY
Would this product help with my major dark circles or would it sting this close to my eye?