The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant and its pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid has been shown to reverse multiple signs of skin ageing while brightening the skin when applied topically. This water-free, silicone-free formula provides 23% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. The system is supported with addition of dehydrated spheres of Hyaluronic Acid to offer visible surface smoothing alongside the benefits of Vitamin C. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Note: Based on recommendation from our customers, this formula is now offered in a tube format for easier dispensing.

This product is a water-free suspension of 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. The Ordinary's portfolio of Vitamin C includes the following formulations:

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate Solution 10%

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, there are 2 important things to consider:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in a silicone base to avoid the "powdery" feel of the suspension. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of silicones and offers complete and direct exposure of the entire powder content to the skin, maximizing topical delivery.

Lily L.
Valley Stream, NY
I like this a LOT. The texture is very runny, although the cream feels rich and is easy to spread on my face. It dries down really quickly though, and doesn't feel greasy at all. It's true that it's gritty, like a soft exfoliator. I read somewhere that a way to make it better is to mix it with hyaluronic acid (I use the one from the same brand). It dissolves the little "grains" and make it better. I use this on days where I'm staying at home; that's because vitamin C stops being active really quickly if it's mixed with other actives. For this reason, I think it's better to think of it as a mask that you would use as a cream and leave for several hours before washing it off. I think it's very effective, I can see that my pigmentation is fading, and it brightens my complexion a lot; my pores are a lot smaller, too. It's a great product, especially for the price point. I also use the 2% retinoid and the 10% lactic acid from the Ordinary, and my face has never been clearer- to the point where I feel okay going out without any foundation.
Hannah M.
Costa Mesa, CA
I really wanted to like this vitamin C as I’ve been looking for a affordable one, but this isn’t it. I couldn’t even use it long enough for me to notice if it works or not, but it’s just so grainy and feels like it won’t absorb into my skin. I couldn’t wear my foundation over it because of the strange texture made it not go on smooth. Not good.
Megan L.
Austin, TX
I love the science and thought put into this line of skincare. The vitamin is stable and in a high amount that can be absorbed into the skin. This has a weird gritty texture if overapplied and makeup will ball up if you don’t wait 5-10 minutes for skin to absorb product. Otherwise I love this serum under sunscreen and I feel it is very effective.
Leann T.
Oklahoma City, OK
Perfect product for the cool girl wanting to protect her skin. Available at online usually with free gifts with purchase. Would highly recommend this luxury product to friends and family and continue to repurchase above similar products. Superior product overall. Would give more stars if possible. Gives the most lovely finish to your face. Just glowing. Pricey but worth it. I love supporting local indie brands that support a person not corporation. Always cruelty free and vegan. LOVE THAT !!
Sophia T.
New Orleans , LA
Ahhhh, I read all the reviews and I knew it would be. I knew it would be gritty so I don’t know why I bought it. I can’t even use it because it’s so gritty so I really can’t tell you if it’s effective or not. Will probably send this product back and get the vitamin C in silicone.
erika d.
Stamford , CT
Another great staple to have from this brand and it’s amazing ho cheap this product is. Be careful when using if you will be outdoors as it makes your skin sensitive to sunlight . Better product than some expensive ones
Meredith K.
Deland, FL
This has a bit of a gritty texture and that may put some people off. However, I like this product and I notice a difference when I use it. I use the squalene as well with this product. It is inexpensive and it works!
Irina K.
Moreland Hls, OH
A wonderful vitamin c product to be used at night. The consistency makes it too oily to be worn under makeup as it breaks it down during the day. If no makeup is worn it is a daily superstar! Highly recommended.
Esther B.
Dover Foxcroft, ME
I like this, but you definitely have to get used to the gritty texture. Does sting a bit when applied, but with consistent use, I found a definite improvement in my hyperpigmentation
Alicia A.
West Haven, CT
Just started using, too early to tell full effect. Skin does seem lighter and bouncier however. My acne marks are fading slightly and will continue using, I’m happy so far.
Cayce H.
Louisville, KY
Would this product help with my major dark circles or would it sting this close to my eye?