BY THE ORDINARY

Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant and its pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid has been shown to reverse multiple signs of skin ageing while brightening the skin when applied topically. This water-free, silicone-free formula provides 23% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. The system is supported with addition of dehydrated spheres of Hyaluronic Acid to offer visible surface smoothing alongside the benefits of Vitamin C. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.

Note: Based on recommendation from our customers, this formula is now offered in a tube format for easier dispensing.

This product is a water-free suspension of 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. The Ordinary's portfolio of Vitamin C includes the following formulations:

Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate Solution 10%

Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large.

Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, there are 2 important things to consider:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in a silicone base to avoid the "powdery" feel of the suspension. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of silicones and offers complete and direct exposure of the entire powder content to the skin, maximizing topical delivery.

Bella M.
corpus christi
While I really enjoy this Vit C suspension, I find it pretty gritty and it makes it a tad unpleasant to use but it goes away by the time I put on my moisturiser and I feel like it works well! I’m going to keep testing it out but right now I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I would definitely recommend this over the Vit C in silicone despite the grittiness because I personally don’t want silicones in my skincare.
lizzyb24 M.
Falls Church, VA
Amazing product. It does have a gritty feeling but that feeling goes away. It does sting when using but it’s not intolerable. This line uses strong ingredients and gives excellent results. The price point is much better than other similar products- their prices are at-least $5 more expensive. The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Leann T.
Oklahoma City, OK
Perfect product for the cool girl wanting to protect her skin. Available at online usually with free gifts with purchase. Would highly recommend this luxury product to friends and family and continue to repurchase above similar products. Superior product overall. Would give more stars if possible. Gives the most lovely finish to your face. Just glowing. Pricey but worth it. I love supporting local indie brands that support a person not corporation. Always cruelty free and vegan. LOVE THAT !!
Charlee S.
Murrells Inlt, SC
I have been trying to find a good, affordable option for a topical vitamin c for a while so when I saw how cheap this one was I thought I didn’t have much to lose. However, the texture is really unpleasant and gritty so I didn’t enjoy the application and I don’t think I will repurchase.
Sophia T.
New Orleans , LA
Ahhhh, I read all the reviews and I knew it would be. I knew it would be gritty so I don’t know why I bought it. I can’t even use it because it’s so gritty so I really can’t tell you if it’s effective or not. Will probably send this product back and get the vitamin C in silicone.
Noël U.
Cupertino, CA
Most people complain about the texture, but I didn’t mind it. I stopped using this because once I added it to my routine, I got multiple blackheads all over my face! I’ve never ever had blackheads in my life, but for some reason this caused them.
Meredith K.
Deland, FL
This has a bit of a gritty texture and that may put some people off. However, I like this product and I notice a difference when I use it. I use the squalene as well with this product. It is inexpensive and it works!
Irina K.
Moreland Hls, OH
A wonderful vitamin c product to be used at night. The consistency makes it too oily to be worn under makeup as it breaks it down during the day. If no makeup is worn it is a daily superstar! Highly recommended.
Maggie P.
I don't think this is a bad product but I do think it was to aggressive for my skin. Because of the spheres it gave a slight physical exfoliation and that with the vitamin c was just to much stress on my skin.
Megan L.
Austin, TX
I love the science and thought put into this line of skincare. The vitamin is stable and in a high amount that can be absorbed into the skin. This has a weird gritty texture if overapplied and makeup will ball up if you don’t wait 5-10 minutes for skin to absorb product. Otherwise I love this serum under sunscreen and I feel it is very effective.
Cayce H.
Louisville, KY
Would this product help with my major dark circles or would it sting this close to my eye?