BY THE ORDINARY

Salicylic Acid is a beta hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 2% treatment solution helps exfoliate the inside walls of pores to fight the appearance of blemishes and for better visible skin clarity with continued use.

Contraindications: This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

Note: While exfoliating acids can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Note: This product is not medicine. If you are fighting extensive or persistent acne, please consult a physician. Effective medicine exists to fight acne successfully, including retinoic acid and benzoyl peroxide.

• How long does it take to see results? I've been using this produc...2 Answers
  • How long should I use this product? Can I use it everyday for mon...3 Answers
  • Does this burn the skin or cause any peeling? I have sensitive sk...1 Answers
Zenia
Everyone who grew up on harsh drugstore versions of salicylic acid typically steers clear of it at all cost, but in its purest form, I've found it to be the best treatment for my acne hands down. Peter Thomas Roth used to make a 100% salicylic acid spot treater which has since been discontinued and I was in desperate need of it. So happy I found The Ordinary on Beautylish and ordered this product for dirt cheap. I have zero acne except for occasional hormonal breakouts that disappear within two days of spot treating with this. I typically mix in The Ordinary Salicylic acid into my face masks or DIY cleansers along with The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% which is supposed to great for pores (that's questionable in my opinion). Great product and you really can't find anything more effective for the price.
Emily N.
Brighton, MA
I was never big on salicylic acid acne treatments. (The ones I tried in my teens never did anything except dry my skin out.) However, this product changed my mind. I don't use it everyday, but when I am having a particularly bad skin day, I'll apply liberally before bed (under moisturizer) and wake up to skin that is brighter and more balanced.
Kimberly J.
Troy, NY
I use this on my jawline morning and night after washing my face, and I have never had clearer skin. I have a breakout under my chin right now, a painful cystic acne spot. It has been there for about a week, but thanks to The Ordinary, it's stayed small, no redness, and minimal pain associated with it! No one but me knows it's there! In a few more days I expect it will just fade out and disappear completely.
Kris J.
Clear Lake
I have hormonal acne and this product has been a life changer!  I have used the old school drug store benz peroxide and salacyclic combo for years, and it never worked as well as this does!  If I am starting to get a few acne outbreak areas I spot treat with this product and cover it with benzyl peroxide and its gone overnight!  I forgot my bottle at home for a week long trip and when I started getting an outbreak I tried just using my benz peroxide and could not get my skin to clear up!  Also, plain benz peroxide dries my skin terribly, but this doesn't.  It's honestly one of my Holy Grails!
Andrea V.
Ann Arbor
I started using this along with The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, after having used other drugstore benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid products which didn't help much. This is the first product I have EVER used that made my acne noticeably shrink overnight!! It took about 3 days for it to go away completely, but this is hands down the most effective treatment for acne that I've ever used. I follow it up with either The Ordinary plant derived squalene (evening) or Cerave day moisturizer spf30 (daytime), which is enough to keep my face from drying out. I totally recommend.
Ivy K.
You really can't beat the ordinarys pricing. This bottle is around $6 and if you go anywhere else it can cost up to $15. The packaging is amazing and user friendly. It works like any other, but what makes this one better is the price!
Alexandretta K.
As far as salicylic acid goes, this one has great strength and you get ample bang for your buck. I've always preferred the BP approach to acne treatment, but this product has helped me come around to using both as needed. The bottle is little and easy to carry with you to apply mid day, I use it when I feel the urge to "pop" something and find it much more effective.
Jenn L.
I have nothing but good things to say about this product. It doesn't break me out! It's really lightweight and absorbs into my skin very quickly! Another thing I like about it is that it doesn't contain fragrance. It is also really cheap and only cost about $10 which you can't really beat for the quality of the product.
Lizzie G.
A must-have for breakouts. I use this daily for breakouts and since I have started, I have seen a dramatic difference. I wear it under my makeup sometimes if I'm having a particularly rough skin day. I also bought a much more expensive Clinique Clinical Acne gel and this works better. Get this!!!
Julia N.
I've been using this as a spot treatment for my acne and it has worked so well! My zits are noticeably smaller after I apply it and almost disappears. I definitely recommend this to those with acne prone skin!
Emily S.
Reston
How long should I use this product? Can I use it everyday for months or should I stop after a certain amount of time?
Linda P.
How long does it take to see results? I've been using this product for 2 weeks now and I see no change.
morgan c.
Catonsville, MD
Does this burn the skin or cause any peeling? I have sensitive skin and would like to use this product to get rid of acne.