The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% uploaded by Jacqueline G.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% uploaded by Jessica R.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% uploaded by Desiree T.

BY THE ORDINARY

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 5% formulation offers very mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A stronger 10% formula is available here

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.

Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Desiree T.
Antelope, CA
I originally purchased this to attempt to replace my ExfoliKate® Glow Moisturizer. Okay, maybe not replace it, but to use when I run out of it because it's $65 dollars and it's pretty expensive to replace every month and a half. The three main components that make that moisturizer so great are lactic acid, glycolic acid, and papaya, pineapple, and pumpkin enzymes.

Now I already have a 5% glycolic acid cream that my skin is conditioned to that I used prior to the Kate Somerville Moisturizer, Reviva Labs 5% Glycolic Acid Cream, and I had never used The Ordinary brand skincare products before so I thought to order the 5% Lactic Acid + 2% HA, along with other goodies.

How do I use this? I first dab my Reviva Glycolic Acid Cream all over my face and neck, then I use about half the dropper of the lactic acid and massage it onto my face. I let the acids soak into my face for a couple minutes before applying the rest of my skincare, likely a moisturizer and sunscreen afterwards.

Like other reviewers have said, this product does not smell very pleasant. However, the scent does dissipate and it's not a deal breaker. I haven't experienced any irritation from this routine either. One thing I've noticed from The Ordinary's serum products is that they leave your skin with a very tightened, matte finish. It goes away once you apply a moisturizer or facial oil on top, but I thought it was something worth mentioning. I am able to use my lactic acid/glycolic acid mixture twice daily without irritation, and it works very well without drying out my skin. If the scent of this product doesn't bother you, I would definitely recommend adding it to your skincare routine. It's so inexpensive, it would be foolish not to!
Zenia
This is the best acid I've ever used. Having dry sensitive skin that's prone to acne, the wrong acid can really wreck havoc. I tried P50 and thought it was too strong and my AHA + BHA from Peter Thomas Roth was great as a spot treater but causing overexfoliation for the rest of my face. I tried Baby Facial from Drunk Elephant (this is a dupe for that) and didn't find it as miraculous as people claimed. Stumbled upon this brand while looking for acids for a mask and literally this product paired with Biossance Rose + Vit C oil changed my face forever. Can't live without it, see a big difference from when I use it consistently to when I don't. Typically put a half- full dropper on my face at night or even under makeup if I'm using a really matte foundation or a really natural one. Buy this asap!
Rachael S.
Macon, GA
I've only been using this for a couple of days, but I can absolutely tell a difference each morning when I wake up. I don't generally have sensitive skin so I just went ahead and used it on it's own without diluting it and I had NO irritation whatsoever. I had hesitations buying this earlier considering the disclaimer they have when you go to check out that suggests it may take upwards of 10 days to receive your order. However, I found this to be untrue. I ordered on a Saturday and had my package Tuesday afternoon. I'm definitely going to buy more products from them, and I may even step up and try the 10% next!
Nichole M.
St Clairsvle, OH
I love this product! I use this serum twice weekly in addition to a once weekly physical exfoliant. It keeps my skin looking fresh and the hyaluronic acid locks in moisture. This brand is very inexpensive, effective and can fit in the budget of anyone.
Lizzie G.
You cannot beat this for the price. I used it last night and woke up with glowing, clear skin! I was shocked and thrilled. I couldn't believe this worked so fast! I am eager to keep using it at night and to see how it keeps up.
Derek C.
Clermont
I actually really like this acid! It faired quite well against good genes in my opinion. Granted it wasn’t as great as the 158 dollar serum. Also the 10% for me did no more than the 5 so in turn I save 40 cents....
Katy R.
Spring, TX
3 stars because I like the results, love the price, can't get over the smell!! If you are accustomed to lactic acid, that shouldn't bother you and you will probably love it. I tried and tried but, no, can't do it.
Sonja W.
This is very affordable and helps rejuvenate my skin. The smell is oddly satisfying and it absorbs fairly well into my oily combination skin. It was about $6 as well. The brand all together seems rather well.
Jessica R.
Harrisburg, PA
| Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% |

Price/Quanity: $6.50 for 1 oz

Claims: Restore a bright, even tone and a smooth texture to your skin with this mild exfoliating serum.

Texture: It goes on thick, but thins out once you rub it in.

My Thoughts: I love it! That pretty much sums it up. Over the last month and a half, I’ve have some really bad breakouts…mainly due to stress and other shit. But this has definitely helped to lighten my dark marks. I would put this in the same chemical exfoliation category as the Peeling Solution, but you leave this on. As far as the smooth texture claim, I can still see my pores. They ain’t going nooooo where. Now to be fair, I’ve tried literally everything for my pores, and nothing is taking them completely away. But as far as brightening. I’m loving it!

Repurchase?: Yes and no. The Ordinary actually makes this product in a higher strength, so I’ll be kicking it up a notch to the 10% next time. It’s already in my cart.
Erin S.
I recently asked my 85 year old grandmother, who has flawless and near wrinkle-less skin what she does for her complexion. She told me she gets monthly chemical lactic acid peels at her dermatologist. Well, that's not in my budget, but a nightly application of The Ordinary's Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% certainly is, and it is worth it. I apply at night after cleansing, follow with a Vitamin C serum and moisturizer, and my skin has been waking up so happy, clear and smooth. I never realized until now how superior chemical exfoliants are to physical exfoliants. I have sensitive, hormonal skin and haven't experienced any irritation. I have noticed acne scars fading and a reduction in the appearance of fine lines.
Jennifer T.
Is this safe for sensitive skin?
Rachel M.
How does this product compare to the Sunday Riley Good Genes? Thanks!