BY THE ORDINARY #72 in Face Serums

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 5% formulation offers very mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A stronger 10% formula is available here

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

• How does this product compare to the Sunday Riley Good Ge...2 Answers
  • How do you apply this? Can it be combined with The Ordina...4 Answers
  • Any one try products from the ordinary? Just got these in...4 Answers
Amber M.
Zanesville, OH
Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time. Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions. This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid.
Ryan S.
Penryn, CA
I really like this product. I am reviewing this after two uses. I picked this one because my skin isn't used to acids. I figured it would be best to start out with the lower percentage. I do notice a slight itching around my nose but nothing that anyone can see. Moisturizer obviously helps with the itching. When I put it on I said to myself I'll either wake up glowing or looking like a monster. Well I woke up glowing. After the second use I can run my fingers along the skin of my temples and where I would normally feel bumps of sebum and dirt congestion it is now clear and smooth! I'm literally amazed! My.complextion in general is much nicer! I just have no words! This is an amazing product and I highly recommend.
Shannon K.
Harrison Twp, MI
This is my holy grail chemical exfoliant. I apply it everywhere--head to toe. Literally! I apply it as an all-over body and face serum before bed each night, and I experience no irritation anywhere. On the face, I follow with the remaining steps of my routine after allowing 15-20 minutes to absorb. On the body, I apply a moisturizer after if needed but often find that my skin feels comfortable without additional moisture. My skin has become so much more even and soft, with diminished dark spots and redness. It has completely eradicated rough patches. It's incredible! I have an embarrassingly large stash of bottles since I go through it so quickly (about a bottle a week), but at this price it is STILL cheaper than the exfoliating lotions I used to buy, and the texture is such an improvement over the typical sticky, heavy formulas. As a plus, I can apply any body lotion I want on top of this serum, rather than just resigning myself to the typical unpleasant scent of acidic body lotions. As for the 5% vs. 10%, I am accustomed to chemical exfoliants but still find that many glycolic formulas sting my skin. This caused no stinging and no redness from day one. Both percentages will provide good results, but don't be afraid to give the 10% a try.
Ashley V.
I initially bought this thinking this’ll somewhat compare to Sunday Riley’s good genes because let’s face it, we have to sell an organ to be able to afford good genes. I got the lower percentage in lactic acid because it was recommended for someone with my sensitivity. It has a thick texture that I can’t really explain but it’s nothing like good gene’s nor did the product deliver. It honestly didn’t make a single difference in my skin but I guess it was worth the try considering it’s so inexpensive. The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%
Marissa B.
Valley Spgs, CA
The Ordinary’s Lactic Acid is a fantastic alternative to Sunday Riley’s Good Genes! I couldn’t believe it. I read online that so many people switched because it gave the same results and I thought, “No way. How could a $6 acid beat a $100 acid??” So I have it a try and was blown away. It really is. It keeps my skin clear of any acne/scarring, gets rid of all my dead skin, clears and tightens my pores... I mean what doesn’t this acid do? I LOVE IT. I also use their hyaluronic acid before my moisturizer and that’s fantastic too!
Yevheniia S.
New Castle
It’s wow!!! I didn’t believe in a power of acids but this one showed me a result after a first use! I choose 5% lactic acid among other AHA because of its mind work on your skin and its moisturizing effect. My skin is so soft and gentle after it that I can’t stop touching it! Also I admitted that my pores became more narrow and Black heads disappeared! Don’t forget to use high spf factor while using it!
Ashley C.
Opelousas , LA
I honestly don’t find that this did anything. My skin was a little smoother but that’s it. It should be said that I started using this after running out of my Good Genes from Sunday Riley and was looking for a cheaper alternative. If anything my skin started looking back to it’s old, dull and ruddy self not long after. I also think it, or other products from the ordinary, were breaking me out. I still have it, mainly because I paid for it. Probably won’t try it again unless I’m in dire need.
Charlotte K.
I’m almost out of my Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% 😫 This was a part of my first order from @deciem and The Ordinary. I’ve been wanting to try a lactic acid serum since getting the opportunity to try the Sunday Riley Good Genes. Obviously this is a much more affordable option. It’s worked well for me! I think it’s really helped with the overall texture and luminosity of my skin. I usually apply this in the morning before my moisturizer/spf. I use just under a dropper full, and massage it into my face and neck. Because of the addition of the HA, it absorbs nicely and provides some lovely additional hydration. I’m sad to be almost done with this, but excited try the 10% version. What’s your favorite product from The Ordinary?
Lina V.
Ocala, FL
I've only used this twice and I already notice how soft my skin is. I apply this in the AM (on days that I'm just staying inside and not wearing makeup) straight after cleansing, then apply my other serums on top. The only thing is that I find it difficult to apply because of it's thin consistency and it dries fairly quickly so it's hard to spread. I'm not sure if putting it on a cotton round would lessen it's effectiveness or cause more product to be used since the cotton is soaking it up but for now I like how it makes my skin feel. I don't feel any burning or tingling sensations with this, it just feels like a toner. I'll definitely be purchasing the 10% once I'm finished with this bottle.
Shona D.
Blackshear
I really enjoy using this product. It is a good chemical exfoliation and it also helps plump up the skin with the hyaluronic acid in it. I love what it does for my skin texture and overall appearance. I use this in replacement of my Sunday riley good genes serum. They do the same thing for me. But the ordinary is definitely way cheaper. I'm really happy with the product and I will continue to repurchase this. It is a major staple in my skincare routine.
Lisa F.
Long Beach , NY
Jennifer T.
Is this safe for sensitive skin?
Christopher C.
Windermere, FL
Im curious about trying The Buffet, The Retinol with Squalene and this but what order would I use them in?
Maria M.
How do you apply this? Can it be combined with The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone?
Rachel M.
How does this product compare to the Sunday Riley Good Genes? Thanks!