BY THE ORDINARY

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A milder 5% formula is available here

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.

Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

• How often are you supposed to use this a week?1 Answers
  • Can anyone tell me what other products you use from “The ...2 Answers
  • Does anyone find that the Latic acid 10% + HA causes them...2 Answers
Lindsay M.
I love this product. Lactic acid is a more gentle version of glycolic acid that helps get rid of dead skin cells. I find that the 10% Lactic acid doesn’t irritate or burn my skin in any way. My skin feels softer after using it for a few weeks now. It’s a very watery consistency so i put a few drops on my hands and then press onto my face and follow with moisturizer. For more sensitive skin, I’d say to start with either the 5% version or use the 10% 2-3 times a week until your skin becomes accustomed to it. I love how you can now find the Ordinary products at Sephora or on the site as some stores don’t carry it. It’s also so inexpensive for great, natural ingredients! Love it and 100% recommend it.
Rachael R.
Snellville , GA
This product is excellent! It’s so affordable and I’m noticing a huge difference in my skin after using for a little less than a week. I have a lot of texture and this has reduced it significantly. I’ve also noticed a reduction in breakouts. I love the hygienic packaging as well. I’ve been combining it with their marula oil and HA lotion. The photo is a no make up photo after my nightly routine! I would say it’s comparable to the drunk elephant serum with glycolic acid.
Katie R.
White Bear Lk, MN
I love this so much! I put it on at nights when my skin is feeling a little on the flaky or rough side, and the next morning it's baby soft. It also helps cell turnover, so I've noticed fewer and smaller blemishes when I use this regularly. I can't recommend this enough, but if it's your first time using acid to exfoliate, I'd suggest trying The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% to start out.
Shay Y.
Atlanta, GA
I have tried other chemical exfoliants with terrible results. They dried out my skin and made me red no matter how gentle they claimed to be. I kept hearing great things about this and the price is so cheap that I figured if it failed as well, no biggie. Thankfully it not only didn't dry my skin out or irritate it, my skin has never looked better.
I started out using tiny amounts on the worst parts of my skin like my chin (huge pores!) and slowly worked up to using it every night. My pores are waaay smaller, my fine lines have faded a lot, and I'm convinced that the HA in it is working as well. My face is less dry the day after I use it than on days when I don't. I do think I will need to move up to something stronger within a few months but for now this is a must-have for me.
So, I definitely recommend for anyone — especially anyone that has had issues with other types of exfoliants. This is THE BEST one for sensitive skin and the price can't be beat.
Mia F.
Portland, OR
I love this acid! I use it to keep my face looking bright and keeping away small bumps and pigmentation issues. The 10% formulation is a little intense for skincare newbies not used to acids, but there is a 5% lactic acid formulation as well for you to try! I mix a few drops into my favorite serum, the LANEIGE Water Bank Serum and it blends so well into the skin that way without irritating it at all. Even when following The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution! Which is known to be much more intense.
Amber W.
Springtown, TX
I recently purchased this product and I try to use it weekly. I enjoy having it on hand to help with pore congestion. I have noticed it's best to alternate the Ordinary's acids (I use the glycolic toner, salicycylic acid serum, lactic acid & azeleac acid) on different nights, even better every other night, or else it can be too irritating for the skin. But I love how affordable it is and that I can mix it into a homemade soap or moisturizer (with researching the other ingredients kept in mind) with ease.
Robin B.
Clearwater
I love most of The Ordinary products. I use this daily along with the Vitamin C plus E and Ferulic acid Hyaluronic Acid 2%+B5. You can layer them one after another and then use your moisturizer as a sleep mask. I also mix the Hyaluronic with my primer to add additional moisture. At 63, after using everything on the market, I finally see a real improvement in my skin. Some advice... do not buy from Amazon. Very over priced. Go directly to The Ordinary site.
Adrienne S.
Pinehurst, NC
I don't have any problems with this product or anything, but I don't really think it has improved my skin at all. It is also very thin and so it's kind of messy to apply (as opposed to thicker serums). I'm still giving it four stars though because I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I know Lactic Acid works really well for some people, so I think it's just my personal skin type that isn't really affected by it, but I still do use it everyday in my daily skincare routine!
Julie D.
N Huntingdon, PA
If you want flawless, clear, radiant, even skin, this is absolutely the product for you. I love everything about this lactic acid, especially the price. It works exceptionally well and I have never seen as big of an improvement in my skin as when I was using a lactic acid. Game changer!!!!
Allisa L.
Tampa, FL
This is a great beginner chemical exfoliant! While I do not have sensitive skin, I decided on this formulation rather then the 5%. I've found this to be really effective in reducing textural irregularities and brightening my skin. However, I did not experience any irritation at all, or dryness thanks to the HA. I love the watery consistency; great for layering treatments. I use about 3 times a week, at night only. The next morning, my skin is smooth, bright and I prefer wearing a light coverage foundation, as opposed to my typical full coverage. Really a great, inexpensive product!
Kim D.
would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used lactic acid?
Han S.
Has anyone experience dry skin after applying it?
Samantha H.
Peckham, London
Does anyone find that the Latic acid 10% + HA causes them to break out or go through a purging phase? I've used this product a few times now and every time the day after I breakout really bad, unsure if this is because my skin doesn't agree with the product or this is just a phase? Any help would be appreciated, thanks x
Lydda L.
Miami Beach
Can anyone tell me what other products you use from “The Ordinary” and what your regime is? I know I’m Not supposed to use this product with retinol but do you use with other acid products? Which ones??
Maggie B.
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the Ordinary or other AHA? I am curious how to incorporate this into my routine.