BY THE ORDINARY #80 in Face Serums

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A milder 5% formula is available here

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.

Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

• Can anyone tell me what other products you use from “The ...1 Answers
  • How often are you supposed to use this a week?1 Answers
  • Does anyone find that the Latic acid 10% + HA causes them...1 Answers
Christopher C.
Worcester, MA
This stuff is amazing! I just did a video on YouTube comparing this against the Sunday Riley Good Genes. I definitely think this is the better of the two and so much more affordable than Good Genes.

I love that this hasn't caused me any irritation. It has left my skin glowing, smoother and lines are minimized. In fact people have been asking me if I have had botox or fillers done recently. NOPE! Its just The Ordinary's Skincare.

I am so in love with these products and my skin has never looked better.
Lindsay M.
I love this product. Lactic acid is a more gentle version of glycolic acid that helps get rid of dead skin cells. I find that the 10% Lactic acid doesn’t irritate or burn my skin in any way. My skin feels softer after using it for a few weeks now. It’s a very watery consistency so i put a few drops on my hands and then press onto my face and follow with moisturizer. For more sensitive skin, I’d say to start with either the 5% version or use the 10% 2-3 times a week until your skin becomes accustomed to it. I love how you can now find the Ordinary products at Sephora or on the site as some stores don’t carry it. It’s also so inexpensive for great, natural ingredients! Love it and 100% recommend it.
Adrienne S.
I don't have any problems with this product or anything, but I don't really think it has improved my skin at all. It is also very thin and so it's kind of messy to apply (as opposed to thicker serums). I'm still giving it four stars though because I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I know Lactic Acid works really well for some people, so I think it's just my personal skin type that isn't really affected by it, but I still do use it everyday in my daily skincare routine!
Amber W.
Springtown, TX
I recently purchased this product and I try to use it weekly. I enjoy having it on hand to help with pore congestion. I have noticed it's best to alternate the Ordinary's acids (I use the glycolic toner, salicycylic acid serum, lactic acid & azeleac acid) on different nights, even better every other night, or else it can be too irritating for the skin. But I love how affordable it is and that I can mix it into a homemade soap or moisturizer (with researching the other ingredients kept in mind) with ease.
Mia F.
Hillsboro, OR
I love this acid! I use it to keep my face looking bright and keeping away small bumps and pigmentation issues. The 10% formulation is a little intense for skincare newbies not used to acids, but there is a 5% lactic acid formulation as well for you to try! I mix a few drops into my favorite serum, the LANEIGE Water Bank Serum and it blends so well into the skin that way without irritating it at all. Even when following The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution! Which is known to be much more intense.
KIMI W.
If you are looking for an active to help resurface your skin, Lactic Acid is what you are looking for. I don't have sensitive skin, and had experience with the Ordinary Glycolic toner, so this transition was no problem for me. The product itself comes in a clear glass bottle with a dropper for application. You can apply it after toner or after essence and before serums, preferably at night, since actives make your skin vulnerable to sun. I use mine 2-3 times a week and notice a huge improvement in my skin texture, pore visibility, blackhead, dry skin. The lactic acid actually helps cell turnover but also helps with loosening the bond of old skin that hangs on patches. The product is watery, so a drop or two on your fingers and quick application is key, or mixing with moisturizer if you are a first time acid user, until a tolerance is built. I would say lactic acid is great for all skin types, but works well on my easily dried out skin. I am a lifetime user now!
Rachael R.
Snellville , GA
This product is excellent! It’s so affordable and I’m noticing a huge difference in my skin after using for a little less than a week. I have a lot of texture and this has reduced it significantly. I’ve also noticed a reduction in breakouts. I love the hygienic packaging as well. I’ve been combining it with their marula oil and HA lotion. The photo is a no make up photo after my nightly routine! I would say it’s comparable to the drunk elephant serum with glycolic acid.
Katie R.
White Bear Lk, MN
I love this so much! I put it on at nights when my skin is feeling a little on the flaky or rough side, and the next morning it's baby soft. It also helps cell turnover, so I've noticed fewer and smaller blemishes when I use this regularly. I can't recommend this enough, but if it's your first time using acid to exfoliate, I'd suggest trying The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% to start out.
Frankie E.
Maplewood, MN

I
started with the Ordinary’s Lactic Acid 5% but quickly moved on to
their 10% so I could see more results. The 5% worked better for skin
conditioning, whereas the 10% had more of an overall profound effect
on texture, pigmentation, and glow. I alternate between the two
frequently and I’m so grateful to have options! It’s
irritating than glycolic acid, it also hydrates, increases natural
barrier lipids in the outer layer of skin, and lightens and brightens
the look of skin for those with discoloration.

The
10% lactic acid would be better for experienced AHA users. It can
cause extreme sun sensitivity and if used too frequently, actually
damage your skin. As long as you’re careful though, this product is
amazing. It gives me a dewy glow like nothing else!

Ariana M.
Chattanooga, TN
I have sensitive skin with mild redness, I also can’t use physical exfoliants...enter TO lactic acid 10% ❤️ I use this 2x a week and I can tell it’s made a different. I apply it after my cleanser and I wait 20 min before proceeding, I don’t wash it off. My face is much more smooth and soft after using this. I’m on my second bottle!!!
Kim D.
would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used lactic acid?
Maggie B.
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the Ordinary or other AHA? I am curious how to incorporate this into my routine.
Lydda L.
Miami Beach
Can anyone tell me what other products you use from “The Ordinary” and what your regime is? I know I’m Not supposed to use this product with retinol but do you use with other acid products? Which ones??
Samantha H.
Does anyone find that the Latic acid 10% + HA causes them to break out or go through a purging phase? I've used this product a few times now and every time the day after I breakout really bad, unsure if this is because my skin doesn't agree with the product or this is just a phase? Any help would be appreciated, thanks x
Ariana M.
Chattanooga, TN
How often are you supposed to use this a week?