The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Michelle F.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Petra Sherri J.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Gabriella S.

BY THE ORDINARY

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A milder 5% formula is available here

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.

Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

• would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used...5 Answers
  • Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the O...2 Answers
Allyson A.
Salt Lake City
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is such a wonderful product. I use it twice weekly and when I wake up my skin is GLOWING! The Ordinary is changing the skincare game. I wanted the 5% initially because I’m new to acids, but this actually does not irritate my skin at all and leaves it SO soft! Must be the HA, the Lactic Acid leaves my skin VISIBILY brighter every time I use it. Acne marks and hyperpigmentation are disappearing with continued use of this. Under $10, this cannot be beat. I’ll buy this for the rest of my life! 😍
Katherine F.
Carrboro, NC
Beauty Junkie Expert
Like all other The Ordinary products I own, my favorite thing about this is definitely the price! However, I also like how easy it is to use, and how quickly I saw results. I started out using it every 2 days, and now I use it every other day/about 3 times per week. My skin looks brighter and feels more hydrated without feeling oilier. It can sting a little, however, and I do recommend starting out with the 5% version first.
Robin B.
Clearwater
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love most of The Ordinary products. I use this daily along with the Vitamin C plus E and Ferulic acid Hyaluronic Acid 2%+B5. You can layer them one after another and then use your moisturizer as a sleep mask. I also mix the Hyaluronic with my primer to add additional moisture. At 63, after using everything on the market, I finally see a real improvement in my skin. Some advice... do not buy from Amazon. Very over priced. Go directly to The Ordinary site.
Soreli T.
Beauty Junkie Expert
It’s a good alternative for other lactic acids when you’re on a budget. It’s not as effective as others I’ve used but it does help with hyper pigmentation or if you get bumps on your arm or anywhere else. I’ve repurchased this product a few times.
alyssa f.
New Bedford, MA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I purchased this product for myself. I absolutely love the results so far! I have used it in conjunction with some other products from The Ordinary, and I'm so pleased. They are so affordable and work amazingly
Alisha F.
Excelsior
Beauty Junkie Expert
Not for me. I don't have sensitive skin, but this is the first and only product I used where I have noticed breakouts after use. Even with diluting this product, I found the same effects. I think it's common for this product, however it seems to work great for some people. I will stick to other products that I like rather than try the 5% solution since I have already tried diluting it.
Jaylynn J.
Salisbury, MD
Really works. Works well for brightening with alpha arbutin. Love this stuff. Whether you’re using the lactic 5% or 10% it still does the job. Brightening and making the skin look luminous.
sam s.
Pawtucket , RI
Beauty Junkie Expert
Did not do anything for me, it was supposed to be a more hydrating acid and if anything it dried me out. Also left a thick film on the skin The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2%
Emily P.
Cold Spring, KY
Beauty Junkie Expert
I was looking forward to trying this after so many people raved about it. I did as the directions suggest to dilute it until you can handle the full strength. Unfortunately it gave me the worst acne of my entire life, I’m talking Cystic bumps that were huge and painful. So even though the price point was great it didn’t work for my skin.
Eileen R.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Paired with TO retinol, this makes my skin look and feel great. It’s a little sticky and has a sort of sweet, citric smell. My skin is used to stronger products so I went straight for the 10%, but if you have sensitive skin, consider opting for the 5%. I used this twice a week with the retinol.
Kim D.
would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used lactic acid?
Maggie B.
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the Ordinary or other AHA? I am curious how to incorporate this into my routine.