The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Michelle F.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Petra Sherri J.The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% +HA 2% uploaded by Gabriella S.

BY THE ORDINARY

Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A milder 5% formula is available here

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.

Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Directions

Apply once per day, ideally in the PM. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician. (Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Arginine, Potassium Citrate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethyl 2,2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

• would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used...3 Answers
  • Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the O...2 Answers
Blythe H.
Blythe H.
YES!  I've had problem combination skin my whole life, prone to breakouts and being oily and dry all at once.  Now that I'm in my thirties, I also have dullness and fine lines to contend with.  The Ordinary has completely upped my skincare game and I am so thrilled!

I introduced the Lactic Acide 10% + HA 2% into my nightime skin routine and it has worked so well at evening out my small bumps and brightening up my skin.  I use this four times a week (with the 2% retinoid on my days off) and it's a miracle product.  Yes, it does sting very mildly right upon application but the discomfort is incredibly minor and fades almost immediately.

If you're looking for anti-aging solutions or something to even out bumpy, dull skin, give this a short.  It's pricepoint is incredibly cheap as well, so if it doesn't work for you, it's not a huge investment.
Valentina G.
Valentina G.
Berkeley, CA
I started using it a few days ago and I'm astonished. My acne scars look lighter already and my skin is a little softer. I apply it over a layer of still damp hydrating toner and I haven't experienced any issue yet. FYI, I have dry skin and I wasn't really used to acids - but Dr. Brandt microdermabrasion twice a week.
I know that some people experienced breakouts right after using it, but I think it depends on your skin's status and the products you use in the same routine.
Kayla G.
Kayla G.
This product is great. It is very fairly priced and effective. My skin typically isn't too sensitive so I went with the stronger 10% formulation and am happy with my choice. It has a bit of a strange maple syrupy smell, but it doesn't bother me. I use it in the evening after cleansing and before moisturizing. I find that it evens out my skin tone and helps with blackheads as well.
Courtney N.
Courtney N.
Oklahoma City, OK
I have a lot of problems with acne scars and small bumps on my forehead and chin. This does a great job on making them disappear in a matter of days. If I had say one thing I didn't like about this, it would probably be the scent, but that quickly disappears once you apply it on your skin. Overall, my skin is smoother and brighter, and I barely use for foreo to exfoliate now!
Minka R.
Minka R.
Albuquerque , NM
I initially bought this as a ~hopeful~ replacement for my Sunday Riley Good Genes. No such luck, but I still really like this product. I'm using it to supplement Good Genes and on my neck area. I know this irritated a lot of people's skin, but I have t had any problems at all. I love the straight forward packaging & branding. Will definitely repurchase at the price.
A. J.
A. J.
I'm still working on the best way to use this. I've used it twice so far and it caused monster break outs. I think this is likely because of the condition of my skin right now. Currently I only use it once a week but it definitely keeps my skin smooth for at least a week after using it. I think as I get used to it it's going to be an amazing part of my regimen.
Chelsey G.
Chelsey G.
Elizabeth, Nj
At first I was totally skeptical about this product. I had never tried chemical exfoliation and assumed it'd burn my skin. I was wrong! This product exfoliates your skin nicely by removing the dead cells, leaving you smooth the next morning. I use it every other night. Would deff repurchase.
Eileen R.
Eileen R.
Paired with TO retinol, this makes my skin look and feel great. It’s a little sticky and has a sort of sweet, citric smell. My skin is used to stronger products so I went straight for the 10%, but if you have sensitive skin, consider opting for the 5%. I used this twice a week with the retinol.
Tracey C.
Tracey C.
Love this product so far. It's not irritating on my skin, doesn't cause any peeling due to its hyaluronic acid and it's slowly helping to lighten up hyperpigmentation on my face. I'm also using it to help prevent wrinkles too
Stacy B.
Stacy B.
Loved this soo much! This serum helped so much with my skin texture. And brightening too. I like how this serum has no silicone. Didnt break me out. Definitely will buy it again .
Kim D.
Kim D.
would the 10% be ok to start with for someone that has never used lactic acid?
Maggie B.
Maggie B.
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know if you can use this with the Retinoid from the Ordinary or other AHA? I am curious how to incorporate this into my routine.