The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

Glycolic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 7% toning solution offers mild exfoliation for improved skin radiance and visible clarity. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture with continued use.

This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time. The formula is further supported with inclusion of ginseng root and aloe vera for both visible radiance and soothing benefits.

Contraindications: This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.

This pH of this formula is approximately 3.6. Glycolic Acid has a pKa of 3.6 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.

Note: While exfoliating acids can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.

Usage: Use ideally in the PM, no more frequently than once per day. After cleaning, saturate a cotton pad with the formula and sweep across face and neck. Avoid the eye contour and contact with eyes. Do not rinse off. Continue with additional skin treatments as needed. Contact of the product with the skin must be of limited frequency or duration. If irritation occurs, cease use and consult a physician. Use only as directed on unbroken skin. Patch testing prior to use is advised. Refer to our in-depth guide to patch testing. Keep out of reach of children.

(Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Rosa damascena flower water, Centaurea cyanus flower water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Propanediol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Aminomethyl Propanol, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Aspartic Acid, Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Isoleucine, Proline, Threonine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Hexyl Nicotinate, Dextrin, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Gellan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

DooEs this have any side effects on hormonal acne?
Does it get rid of acne scars ?
[product:the-ordinary-glycolic-acid-7%-toning-solution] I’ve heard from great reviews that this brand some of the best stuff you can use on your skin but does the toner work so great?
Start your review of The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution!
How would you rate this product?
birmingham
I’m really bad at sticking to a skin care routine so my experience with this product isn’t amazing. I did mange your use it for a solid two weeks so that’s what I’m going off. I really like the design of the product. It’s very easy and simple to use. I love the top, the screw lid is really handy! It’s doesn’t have a strong scent which I really like, some product from this brand have a overpowering smell to them that lingers after it’s applied but this one doesn’t and I really like that! The reason I’m giving it 3 stars is because it burns, like really bad. I expect a little tingly feeling considering when the product is. However this burned so bad! It wasn’t painful to the point I had to wash it off but it left my skin extremely hot and irritated, especially the first time I used it. Over the week I managed to use it everyday it slowly got less painful and a bit for bearable. However with stop and start use it goes right back to the unbearable pain. So use with caution.
This is the first toner I have ever bought and for only £6.80, this product is quite literally a miracle worker. When I first purchased it I was quite apprehensive as I am unused to direct acids and I have heard that it can cause some people irritation/breakouts. However, after patch testing, I used a small amount on my face (a little goes a long way) and literally the next day, my skin was already feeling smoother and looking brighter. I have since been using the toner every other day for the past 2 weeks and my skin is now looking better than its ever been! ( I used this toner to even out any textual irregularities - particularly the closed comedones on my cheeks) The only negatives to this product are the fact that when I first used it it did sting my eyes a bit ( although that sensation went away after a few uses) and it can feel quite sticky on your skin after application. However, the positives far outweigh the negatives and I would 100% repurchase!
London
The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution uploaded by Narina T.
I started using this product 2 weeks ago in place of my Pixi Glow Tonic, however I found it a bit too strong on my skin! I personally saw more instant viable results from the Pixi Glow Tonic! Despite being a bit pricier I just found it worked better on my sensitive oily skin and had a more noticeable impact in evening out my skin tone! Really wanted to love this product from the ordinary but it just wasn’t for me! I think the The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% Ha will be my next purchase as it is meant to be less strong!
London
The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution uploaded by Boujee B.
This is a 7% Glycolic Acid therefore a lot stronger than what I’m use to so I used it for the first time with caution. This Acid, once applied to your cotton pad, needs to be patted into the skin rather than wiped with ( this is what I was advised in the Deceim shop ). To my surprise it didn’t tingle & I felt it worked well as the next day my skin felt smoother. I don’t like to use it every night & I definitely wear my spf the next day 👍. This Acid helps to exfoliate your skin & in return your skins glows 💫. It comes in a screw off cap & a nozzle that you can attach. I prefer the nozzle as you can control how much you’re using. I’m really happy with this product & it’s a fantastic price too 👍💕💕
Milton Cottage, Lychgate Park, Crediton
The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution uploaded by Jessica P.
The best PM toner for oily/combination skin! This is the best, i used to use Pixi Glow Tonic and tried this for half the price and it is amazing!!!! I only use this in the evening as it can be sticky and is a very strong product! The Glycolic Acid is the holy grail for exfoliation and removing dead skin cells!😍 This aids the skin regrowth giving you brighter and smoother skin! This is also a great for acne scaring, skin discolouration, fine lines and wrinkles!
43 Poolfield Avenue
The Ordinary. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution uploaded by Lily H.
I have only been using this for a few weeks so maybe I need to give it a bit longer to see any real benefits. I noticed a couple of random breakouts a after originally using this, so I stopped and have since returned to using it. It's a massive bottle so the price is brilliant for what you get. I just wish I could figure out if this was the culprit of my breakouts or not, I love so many of the ordinary products it would be a shame if this didnt work for me.
These products are just unreal!! I don’t have the best skin but this has helped so much!! I put it on before my moisturiser and if I’ve had any spots that have popped then they’ll be gone over night!! A little goes a long way, I’ve had it for ages and I don’t need a new one anytime soon!! It tingles a little bit of the skin is gone but nothing massive and is worth it!! [product:the-ordinary-glycolic-acid-7%-toning-solution]
I tend to hesitate when it comes to trying out skincare products but I tried this more than 2 years ago and it has kept my skin clear. Since then it’s been what I suggest when people ask how I keep my skin clear. I had originally bought it to get rid of those little bumps which it cleared too. I even gave one to a friend who had acne and it helped her significantly so definitely recommend if your looking for clear skin!!
brighton
I have combination skin that leans oily and I find this toner excellent. I get quite a few hormonal break outs and this toner really helps bring down the scaring. It’s tingles and can sting a little when first used but I’m assured that’s normal and let’s you know that it’s working. My skin always looks fresher and feels softer after use. I’ll definitely be repurchasing another bottle once I finished this one.
AMAZING!! I have almost finished my first bottle and it is amazing. I use it 2-3 times a week as it is not a normal toner it exfoliates also so it shouldn't be used daily. If you have sensitive skin it may be a little abrasive but for me it worked amazing. It draws out your dirt and oils and even on days I haven't worn make up it left the cotton pad disgusting. Definitely recommend

486 questions

Ask a question to the Influenster community...