The Ordinary "Buffet"

BY THE ORDINARY #98 in Serums

This formula combines a comprehensive array of studied technologies to target multiple signs of ageing at once. The technologies are Matrixyl 3,000 peptide complex (with palmitoyl-pentapeptide 35), Matrixyl Synthe'6 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tripeptide-38), Syn-Ake peptide complex (with dipeptide diaminobutyroyl benzylamide diacetate), Relistase peptide complex (with acetylarginyltryptophyl diphenylglycine), Argirelox peptide complex (with acetyl hexapeptide-8, pentapeptide-18), Probiotic complex (with lactococcus lactis lysate), in a base of 11 skin-friendly amino acids and multiple hyaluronic acid complexes. The total concentration of these technologies in the formula by weight is 25.1%.

• Is this serum good for dry, flaky, sensitive and acne prone skin? A...3 Answers
  • What do you all think of this product? Is it really a complete all ...6 Answers
  • When do you start noticing results?1 Answers
The Ordinary
The Ordinary "Buffet"
Claire S.
Claire S.
Austin, TX
As soon as I got the email from Beautylish that they will be launching Deciem's most budget-friendly line, The Ordinary, I did my research on the brand, its products and what people thought about them. One of the most recommended was this serum called, Buffet. And it is the only product in their line with a name that wasn't a main ingredient or a clinical formulation because it has a lot of the most effective ingredients found in their other products. According to Deciem's website:

TL:DR
It is an anti-aging, hydrating serum and it is EFFECTIVE!

I've been patting it onto my dry face after cleansing and toning, twice a day for close to 3 weeks now. All my dry, flaky skin is gone. Fine lines around my eyes, laugh lines - gone. No more dull, dehydrated skin, my skin looks bright, plump and youthful.
Marcea B.
Marcea B.
Alright so I know I’m late to the game and this brand is getting hella hype (especially now that @deciem has been backed by a major cosmetic company 👌🏾) but I received this generous package from @newlondonnyc a while ago and think I have finally tested the products I received for long enough to have an opinion to add to the pile lol
_____________________
The Ordinary Buffet (Radiance, Hydration)
_____________________
It’s a peptide serum with a hyaluronic acid base. My skin likey all things hyaluronic. I definitely notice the effects of this serum. My skin feels soft and hydrated, bright and radiant. This is probably my favorite of all the products I’ve tried in this line.

_____________________
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution (dark circles, puffy eyes)
_____________________
This is easily my least favorite product so far. I haven’t noticed any improvement in the under eye area and it leaves a sticky film when dried. Sometimes it oxidizes to a white film that peeks underneath my makeup. Issa no from me dawg.
_____________________
The Ordinary Squalane Oil (hydration)
I love my @biossance squalane oil so I was definitely curious to try this. I love indulging, but this mama also loves a bargain and if the ordinary can deliver biossance results for a fraction of the price I’m all about it. Its consistency is much thicker than biossance and you can definitely tell you have an oil on your face after use. It’s derived 100% from plants but doesn’t specify which ones. I’m just happy it doesn’t have squalene from sharks 😳 I like to use this as a last moisturizer at night, but definitely have to be wary of the amount or I end up with a nice oily imprint on my pillow. I don’t use during my AM routine anymore simply because the weight in this humidity makes me feel like my face might melt off at any moment.
_____________________
All in all, I do like this oil, but I kinda prefer biossance for everyday use. But when it comes down to dollars, I’d probably purchase the ordinary first before restocking on biossan
Jackay W.
Jackay W.
Georgetown, TX
I have been using this for a month and love it !!! It's a great all over serum and has worked well with my oily skin. It does not have a smell which I like and it hasn't caused any breaking out on my skin. It works well on its own or under makeup. It does not leave a film or residue on the skin so it works well under makeup. I apply mine at night and the morning since it is so light weight. It has helped with some dry patched I have from harsh acne treatments but it also didn’t make me more oily in my t-zone. It has lightened some of my dark spots from acne which a very important to me. However, I don’t think it has made a large difference in my wrinkles. But wrinkles never really go away so I don’t think it a fair expectation. I felt that my skin looked more plumped and glowing. If you want to dip your toe into this brand or are new to skincare I would defiantly recommend this brand and product. I have several products from The Ordinary and they have become a staple in my life.  The brand offers single active ingredients in these medicinal dropper glass vials for you to create your own skincare regimen. This product is one of my favorites from them. It is alcohol-free, silicone free, curtly free, and vegan. The amount you get from the price is great too!!! Skincare is so expensive these days !! It $15 for 30ml!
If you are super into skincare and want more details —> it has Matrixyl 3,000 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7), Matrixyl Synthe'6 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tripeptide-38), Syn-Ake peptide complex (with dipeptide diaminobutyroyl benzylamide diacetate), Relistase peptide complex (with acetylarginyltryptophyl diphenylglycine), Argirelox peptide complex (with acetyl hexapeptide-8, pentapeptide-18), Probiotic complex (with lactococcus lactis lysate), in a base of 11 skin-friendly amino acids and multiple hyaluronic acid complexes.
Michelle F.
Michelle F.
Lawrenceburg, TN
This stuff is amazing! I use this twice daily and there is such a marked difference in my skin AND my daughter's cystic acne we are both amazed.  She uses this in the PM only and the HA in the AM.  A little about us and our experience with The Ordinary:  I had been researching this line for a couple of months and when I saw them being sold on beautylish I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  I am 50 and have not ever had much in the way of skincare aside from washing and sometimes I'd use moisturizer but never sunscreen or a regular skincare regimen.  In the last 5 months or so I started making my own toner with witch hazel, sometimes ACV and sometimes rosewater with 4 to 6 drops of tea tree oil and finish filling a 6 oz bottle with distilled water.  I added a rosehip oil and then squalane in addition to a regular day and night time moisturizer.  Still the wrinkles were there.  I and my daughter started a regular regimen 3 weeks ago that includes the retinol 2% 3 to 4 times a week.  She has cystic acne and I am still bothered with the occasional breakout.  Her skin has made a HUGE difference.  Her old acne scars are lightening, she has had ONE breakthrough pimple during her cycle which is UNHEARD of for her.  She has PCOS and when she does have her cycle she usually has massive breakouts.  She was using tretinoin years ago with no real result but this regimen has made all the difference.  She uses this 3x a week, lactic acid 3x a week and one day she treats her whole face with salicylic acid.  She uses the aha bha peel 1 or 2 times a week as well as the buffet and HA with B5, she also uses a vitamin C suspension as well.  She ends up with adding about 5 drops of squalane and 3-4 drops of rosehip oil to her Coral Actives moisturizer for acne prone skin.  I can not recommend this line enough.  if you need help with setting up a regimen contact customer service or 'the monkeys' at Deciem (they are the parent company for The Ordinary) They are glad to help you figure it out OR I used the pdf file they have loaded there for help with what to purchase for whatever concerns you have for your skin.  My regimen is similar to my daughters with additional steps that has made a WORLD of difference in my skin.
Christine N.
Christine N.
I like how their brand offers single active ingredients in these medicinal dropper glass vials for you to concoct your own skincare regimen. It all feels quite clinical and customized. And they offer all their products at an extremely affordable price and shipping was fast too.

I got several products to try both in the AM and/or PM and one of them was the "Buffet". It has Metryxl (so you don't have to purchase the separate stand-alone Metryxl), peptides, ferment, probiotics and other good anti-aging ingredients. It is The Ordinary's only "all-in-one" product. Hence, the name "Buffet".

The consistency is like one of those slightly sticky and tacky clear serums that eventually absorbs. I had no issues with layering or piling with this product. It overnight improved the evenness of my skin and plumped it.

One of the peptides in it is derived from synthetic snake venom and you can actually tell. It ever so slightly numbs the facial skin. There is also another peptide in it that is suppose to have similar mild temporary Botox like qualities. I found they made my face feel a little numb. It felt the most strange around my eyes personally. Like my muscles around my eyes would periodically involuntarily spasm from time to time when I had this on and even into the next day after. It kinda feels like when Botox wears off in random places and your muscles get movement again actually.

So this product definitely works in all respects, but the numbness and eye muscle spasms are enough to make me not want to use this on a regular basis. I much prefer actual Botox as I didn't experience any numbness or spasms from that and it is much more effective. I may try Hylamide Sub-Q, the anti-aging serum counterpart to this one that is part of the more expensive sister brand to The Ordinary to see if I fare better with that one.

Btw, there is a slight natural chemical scent to this product. I noticed it the most at night when I used it without any other fragranced products, but the scent is very slight and not offensive. I did not notice it during the day as my other skincare products like my Vitamin C have a much stronger natural scent.
Beka S.
Beka S.
Camino, CA
Love this stuff. It packs a potent punch for approximately $15! I purchased directly on Deciems website ( with free shipping to USA on orders over $25). This comes in a frosty glass bottle with a glass dropper dispensing system. The ingredient list is impressive, with everything ranging from probiotics, amino acids, all the way to hyaluronic acid complexes. It's a veritable "buffet" for your skin ( aptly named, indeed). I only have one slight qualm with the formula-- it can be sticky feeling if you accidentally use too much of the serum.

If you're looking for an anti aging complex that uses scientifically based ingredients without breaking the bank, look no further! This is a true gem.

Tip 1- to avoid tacky feeling, only use 2-3 drops when starting out, add more if needed.

Tip 2- Apply this water based serum before any oil based skincare steps so as to ensure maximum absorption :) enjoy!
Natalie Z.
Natalie Z.
Milwaukee , WI
Anything but Ordinary. This skincare company is going to turn the beauty industry upside down! I have a regimen I am building that really shows results. "The buffet" is basically a essence or peptide serum that makes all of your other skincare sink into your skin better...However, I digress. The Ordinary make skincare products that work for a fraction of the cost, So for a little bit of research - reading all of the active ingredients in your skincare-you can match or improve your regimen for under a hundred (each product ranges from 6-10 dollars) You loose the fancy packaging even though the containers are nice glass droppers and it also forgoes the perfumes and expensive marketing.
So the long and short of it is if you can be bothered to do your research this is an amazing results driven product that you will love!
Michelle H.
Michelle H.
Englewood, NJ
I wanted to love this so bad because of the combination of peptides and anti-aging benefits that this serum provides. However I patch-tested this product for a week and surely every time I applied it, I would break out in little bumps all over my skin. Finally, I gave up trying to use this product. It looks like I'm allergic to something in it. Moreover, the texture when applied can feel really thick and sticky so it needs some time to dry. I'm trying to pass this off on family or friends because I still want to believe in this product but just a note to others that there might be something that triggers allergies or it's simply too strong like how I find a lot of the Ordinary products. It's the first time I have ever had this reaction from a product. :(
Bekah B.
Bekah B.
I have been reading all about The Ordinary practically everywhere, so I decided to jump on the skincare bandwagon. I was torn between trying The Buffet or their Hyaluronic Acid, and ended up going The Buffet route because it sounded delicious and packed full of super ingredients. After using it for about a month, I haven't noticed anything bad about it (some minor pilling if you use too much), but I haven't noticed anything spectacular either. Honestly I'm a little disappointed. Based off of the reviews I was expecting some magical skincare potion. Not too sure this is it. I decided to try out the straight up Hyaluronic Acid on my next Beautylish haul, so I'll let ya know how that goes!
Marie H.
Marie H.
The Ordinary "Buffet" This is one of my HG skin products! This product is definitely a buffet of nourishing skin ingredients. This water based solution is very lightweight and not sticky at all. Perfect as a base product in my skin care regimen. This product is the first one I've used from Deciem and I can vouch the effectiveness of it. My skin has fewer lines and has gotten smoother. This stuff really nourishes the skin! I highly recommend this product! If you're unsure of what The Ordinary product to get, this is your best one to start off with.
Kathy V.
Kathy V.
Davis, CA
What do you all think of this product? Is it really a complete all around serum or should I combine it with something else?
Brittney E.
Brittney E.
Salida, CA
Is anyone else using The Ordinary "Buffet"?
Aarohi B.
Aarohi B.
Woodbridge, ON
Is this serum good for dry, flaky, sensitive and acne prone skin? And does it help with skin texture and acne scars? thank you !
Can this be safely used on sensitive eye skin?
Jacqueline G.
Jacqueline G.
Las vegas, NV
When do you start noticing results?