The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum

by The Ordinary

This formulation combines two forms of next-generation retinoid actives in a combined concentration of 2% by weight:

These two actives are:

a) Solubilized Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate is a highly-advanced form of retinoid which is, in fact, a non-prescription ester of all-trans direct retinoic acid that offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid;

b) a sustained-delivery form of pure retinol in a protective capsule system which supports both the delivery and the effect of Solubilized Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate.

Both forms of retinoid used avoid the irritation associated with retinoid (including retinol) use while delivering better visible results against signs of ageing.

Note:

This product uses next-generation retinoid active technologies which have been shown to achieve better reduction in signs of ageing than retinol without irritation. These technologies cannot be compared directly with retinol itself in terms of concentration because they include a different retinoid molecule, in a similar way that Retinol cannot be compared with Retinoic Acid in terms of concentration. If you have interest in a retinol product, please refer to our Retinol 1% formula which contains 1% pure retinol and costs less since many retinol technologies cost less than their next-generation counterparts like Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate. Advanced Retinoid 2% achieves better visible anti-ageing results than Retinol 1% with less irritation but Retinol 1% is suitable if you are looking specifically for a pure Retinol formula.

Caution: Retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Sun protection is particularly important when using retinoids. This product must not be used in conjunction with other retinoids including retinol or retinoic acid. This product is not a treatment for acne. Acne-prone skin may experience a temporary increase in acne during the first few weeks of using any form of retinoid including those used in this formulation.

Directions

Apply a few drops to face in the PM as part of your skincare regimen. Do not use with other retinoid treatments. Use sun protection in the AM.

We have developed a more comprehensive guide on choosing and using our formulations. Please click here to access this guide.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Ethyl Linoleate, Propanediol, Glycerin, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Bisabolol, Retinol, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-12, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Carrageenan, Acacia Senegal Gum, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Palmitate, Sucrose Laurate, Polysorbate 20, Behentrimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum ?can anyone tell me if I can pair this retinoid with the body shop vitamin E night cream ? Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream
What's your experience using this product The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum ?
Start your review of The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum!
How would you rate this product?
Amanda S.
Hollywood, FL
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Amanda S.
Purchased at: ULTA
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum are use this product as a gentler and more affordable dupe to the Sunday Riley A+ serum. Are use it at night and it has really helped my skin and it’s overall health.
Taylor F.
Springville, NY
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Taylor F.
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Taylor F.
Purchased at: Sephora
I have been using this product for almost 2 years now and love it. I like the texture and how it sinks into the skin quickly. It has a slight scent but it doesn’t bother me. I like that this is supposed to be kept refrigerated as it is a nice cooling experience whenever I use it. I only use it 2-3 times a week because my skin can’t handle more than that since I use other acids/peels. It makes my face feel smooth and has really helped the appearance of my skin.
FLOR  D.
Apple Valley, CA
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by FLOR  D.
I love the formula of this product, it really gives a glow and a extra layer of protection, you won’t get a dry face at all, I like to use after I washed my face, and too it up with a firming moisturizer cream and a drop of the hyloronic acid from the same family. The other day I got a real bad acne, I hope this formula get it fix 😉🤩 I will update.The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% In Squalane 30Ml
Jessica M.
Sterling, VA
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Jessica M.
Purchased at: Sephora
This is a great, lightweight retinol serum that absorbs quickly with no stickiness or tackiness. A little goes a long way so you won’t need much. It’s not very strong so it shouldn’t be irritating on most skin types. If you do feel dry, try topping it with a light layer of a non-active moisturizer.
Chelsea O.
Pittsburgh, PA
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Chelsea O.
Purchased at: ULTA
I was having some sensitivity to the Ordinary’s Retinol, so I decided to see if the Retinoid was a better fit. It has been a huge help! It has really helped with the texture of my skin. I also love that the Ordinary is very open about their skincare’s contraindications with their other products, so I know what works together and what doesn’t. #theordinary #retinoid #serum #skincare #crueltyfree #vegan #pmskincare
Jessica  B.
Big Lake, MN
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Jessica  B.
Purchased at: ULTA
I'm loving this product. I use it 5 nights out of 7 I do peels on the other 2 night. It doesn't dry out my skin like some of the harsh products that have retinoid. I will keep this in my regimen and continue to see if I get even better results and will update if I do. #skincare #beauty #theordinary The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum
Kara P.
Lewiston, ME
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Kara P.
Purchased at: ULTA
I have been using The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% In Squalane 30Ml 3x a week for a couple of weeks now and it has made an incredible difference in my skins texture. I am 33 and have some fine and some deeper lines, as well as breakouts, blackheads, dry & sensitive skin, and I often get dry patches around my nose and on my chin. I have been using this product as well as The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% Zinc 1 and The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% Ha and my skin has not looked this good since I was in my mid twenties. My wrinkles and fine lines are far less noticeable, my skin is soft and much smoother, and even though some of these can be drying my skin feels hydrated, which has always been a difficulty for me. When you factor in the amazing price point of these products you know its a win all around! I can’t wait to see how my skin progresses with continued use! The Ordinary
Brittany W.
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum uploaded by Brittany W.
I've been on the hunt for a retinoid serum to combat some fine lines I have on my forehead. I heard so many great things about The Ordinary, but their price point was what truly drew me to the company. I didn't have high expectations for this product, but it has completely changed my skin in ways I never thought possible. My fine lines have significantly diminished, along with my skin becoming baby soft, even toned and my pores shrank to the smallest they've ever been in my life. One warning to anyone starting to use this: if you have acne on regular occasions like I do you will breakout when you first begin to use this! That is your skin purging! My skin freaked out for about 3-4 days, than my skin settled. If you do keep breaking out this product may not agree with your skin. I've barely had a breakout since, which I was not expecting at all, but I'm beyond thrilled. Also, for me personally I started to use this every other night because retinoids/retinol in the past have been harsh on my skin and made me peel/flake, even when I would only incorporate using it in my routine a couple days a week. I can use this serum everyday and I have no irritation from it at all. I cannot say enough good things about this product. I will continue to buy this and I hope it exists forever! If you're looking to start using a retinoid try this one. It's only $9.80 and it works!
Shella S.
Arlington, TX
Purchased at: ULTA
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum.......,..... Hello all. Today I am going to do quick review for this serum. So, Advanced Retinoid 2% has been renamed to Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to align with the new naming direction of the extended range. The formula continues to offer an emulsion of 2% of the same advanced retinoid complex. This serum help my skin feeling smoother and well hydrated. I noticed it help with my acne too, it doesn't sticky when I apply to ny skin and fast absorb too. How to use : Apply a small amount to face in the PM as part of your skincare regimen, after water-based serums but before heavier treatments. Do not use with other retinoid treatments. Avoid unprotected solar exposure. So you better be not forget to use sunscreen. Unfortunately, this product has really short PAO which is only 3 months, so better finish it within 3 months girls
Patricia T.
Broomfield, CO
I have been drawn to The Ordinary products after reading so many positive reviews. And I haven't been disappointed. Facial skincare products can be so expensive that I pick and choose my products carefully. And with almost any product from The Ordinary, I have found them to be quite effective.

191 questions

Ask a question to the Influenster community...
Liz C.
Betzy B.
Prospect Vale, TAS
il y a 10 mois
Allison T. il y a 10 mois
I have been using retinol serums/creams for year's. This brand is amazing. Retinol can dry peoples skin out and cause rashes. If you haven't used retinol before I suggest you start with the lowest percentage of retinol. Even the lowest version of this can aggravate the skin. Most of my friends cannot use any retinol products. Also to start just put a small drop in a simple moisturizer in your hands. Mix it, then apply it. See how it goes......and if you have used retinol before I've just wasted my time explaining this. 😂😂
Latinka  N.
Eileen M. il y a 10 mois
Hi there, its not heavy on your skin, dries quickly. Ive noticed my skin with my hydration. Im enjoying it!
George A.
Valley Glen, CA
il y a un an
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane. The Ordinary 1% Retinol Oil. The Ordinary Retinol 1%. Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. -Which one do you think is the best retinol from the ordinary?
Courtney H. il y a un an
Granactive Retiniod 2% Emulsion was my favorite out of all of them. My next vote is Granactive Retiniod 2% in Squalane
Grisha P.
Edmonton, AB
il y a un an
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum ? Does it help to reduce pores and black heads?
Melanie G. il y a un an
Sadly, can't answer that question as that product is not available at least in Canada. I do know that retinol does help to reduce pores appearance.