BY THE ORDINARY #33 in Face Serums

Squalane is a saturated and stable hydrocarbon that is found naturally in the skin. It has very high emollience, is an exceptional hydrator and can prevent ongoing loss of hydration that impairs dermal suppleness. Squalane is non-comedogenic and is suitable for use on all skin types. It can also be applied to hair to increase heat protection, add shine and reduce breakage potential.

Note: This product uses 100% pure plant-derived Squalane that is ECOCERT approved and is a USDA Certified Bio-based Product.

• this vs the ordinary rosehip oil, marula oil or hyaluroni...4 Answers
  • Does anyone know how this compares to Biossance 100% Squa...1 Answers
  • Does this product add more oil to your skin ? I have oily...2 Answers
Maura Y.
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE ORDINARY'S SQUALANE OIL. I had ordered the trial sizes of the Biossance oil and I LOVED it, but it doesn't last very long considering I actually use the squalane oil for my hair and not my skin. The Biossance oil is fifty or sixty dollars and as a college student there is absolutely no way I can afford that without either saving up or living off of ramen for a month....or six. Biossance derives their squalane from cane sugar plants I believe, so I wanted to find a squalane oil brand that did the same, which was FAR harder than you would believe, since most companies get their squalane from olives (which kind of just seems like...milder olive oil to me). Well the ordinary doesn't have where their oil is derived from BUT they DO have a system for emailing them questions, so I asked, and lo and behold, they derive their squalane from cane sugar as well, so i figured it was a safe (and cheap) bet to order this in place of the Biossance oil and the point of this very long winded explanation is this; It is JUST as good (perhaps even better when factoring cost) as the Biossance 100% Squalane and I will forever buy this instead.
Kanchan M.
Honestly I think this is absorbed by skin very nicely, which, well, you’d expect from squalene, as it’s a natural oil we make for our skin. I use their “Buffet” then their “Hyaluronic Acid” then their “Moisturizer” then their “Squalene.”
I do this twice a day a day and at night it seals in my moisturizer. In the morning, it leaves a glowing surface for me to lay my foundation over. Nothing beats this natural glow! It’s excellent for my skin. My foundation still covers just as well, but the glow from this face oil is better than any highlighter!  It only takes a few drops. At this price, how can you go wrong?

Each of these products I’ve mentioned are about $10. The serum mix (called “The Buffet” is $10; the 100% “Hyaluronic Acid” is $10;  even the “Moisturizer” is $10 the 100% “Squalene” is also $10!

Thats $40 which I used to blow on just moisturizer! Now I have a full skin care routine, like I’ve been dreaming of! I’m 52 and have no wrinkles!
Desiree T.
Antelope, CA
If your skin doesn’t tolerate oils very well, it’s worth giving this one a try! I have combination skin, but my skin does not like oil whatsoever. (I’ve tried grapeseed, jojoba, etc.) When I decided to try this, I was a bit nervous, so I applied it at night and prayed for a miracle, and I found it! This is such a nourishing facial oil that does not make me break out, and gives my skin a luminous glow. I apply it every night mixed with a bit of my moisturizer and wake up blemish free. This stuff is perfect for using after your AHAs to soothe skin.
Sara H.
Kennesaw, GA
I had tried the trial size of the Biossance squalene oil, as I had been reading a lot about the moisturizing properties. As someone with perpetually dry skin, I loved the way the oil made my skin feel. However, the price point for the full size made me squirm. So when I found this product, I immediately ordered it. I actually use this product in place of a moisturizer at night. In combination with the hyaluronic acid solution, my skin has never been more moisturized. When I wake up in the morning, my skin is still smooth and supple instead of dry and rough. I cannot tout the benefits of this stuff enough. You only need a couple drops for your entire face, and it soaks in pretty quickly for an oil. The bottle is a nice glass one with a dropper. The only tiny flaw is that the dropper lets product out very easily, so it can get messy if you aren't careful. However, that is a tiny price to pay for such a great product.
jana r.
Columbia, MO
This oil is does wonders for your skin. It is an oil that is naturally made by your body and so it absorbs like a dream. Also it has never ever broken me out. I honestly love every single oil I have tried from The Ordinary! Everyday I put one drop in my foundation and at night it is seals in my serum and moisturizer. I have 2 backups in my bathroom and my open bottle stays at my bedside. I can't tell you in words how much I love this oil. My pores are tighter and my kids keep telling me how young I look (and I DO!) :)
Also, the cost cannot be beat! I really can't recommend this enough! [product:the-ordinary-100%-plant-derived-squalane]
Jessica D.
Mason, MI
This is one of two deciem products I bought to trial The Ordinary line. I’d read great things about squaline however for my oily prime skin I found this to not be the best match for hydration. I do love to use it on my lips at night though as a more intensive treatment. I anticipate being able to use this on my ace as winter gets more intense. However, even if it doesn’t work it is totally worth trying as it’s only $7! I have other products from this company that I love (the rosehip oil works great on oily and acne prone skin!), and am looking forward to trying more!
Kelsi B.
Dallas, TX
This is a very light and fluid hydrating oil. Great to put under moisturizer! I use it especially when its very cold and dry to add an extra layer of moisture to my skin. Its colorless and scentless so I even feel comfortable putting it a little closer to my eyes than I would most other products. I would definitely buy this product again if I run out, but that's not likely for a long time because you really only need a drop or two!
Manisha D.
Jackson Hts, NY
I started on this oil about a month ago. I have nothing bad to say about it. It's lighter than the virgin marula oil and less sticky as well. This oil almost disappears after application and feels light and non greasy. This isn't for dry skin. It's better for oily skin that still requires slight miniaturization. Dry skin people like my sister will have to use multiple layers. But for oily skin it's amazing and definitely worth the buy.
McKenzie H.
Logan, UT
I tried the Biossance squalane first and my skin loved it, but I couldn’t stomach paying $70 for a little jar of it, ack! Enter The Ordinary! I’ve tried their products before and they’ve worked wonderfully considering how cheap they are. This one is no different. I use it as an occlusive to seal everything in as the last step in my routine. Doesn’t irritate, doesn’t have any weird smell, and a couple of drops go a long way. Buy it!
Mandy A.
3 Stars because I’m not sure how I feel. I’ve tried this twice, following the suggested skincare routine (hyaluronic acid 2% + b5 then this product). When I put this product over the HA, it started to pill on my face!! I don’t know if I didn’t something wrong, but I really want to like these products. I hate products that pill, so I need to figure out how to stop that from happening.
Kim D.
this vs the ordinary rosehip oil, marula oil or hyaluronic acid
Amy M.
I just ordered this and am unsure where to incorporate. I currently cleanse, tone (witch hazel am, GA by TO pm) and moisturize. I also use SA in am before moisturizer. Does this go right before Moisturiser?
Blythe H.
Is this meant to be a moisturizer? Is it tacky or sticky? Could you wear it under makeup?
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
Ooooooooo!!!! Plant derived!!!! Exciting. Does this Product contain petroleum or mineral oil?
Charlie A.
Columbus , OH
Does this product add more oil to your skin ? I have oily skin and don't need the extra headache !!